Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What, exactly, is the "crisis?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It would seem that the Republicans outlook is far closer to reality than the let's "nothing to see here" attitude.
    Pew research indicates that in certain areas crime has gone down, contrary to what Republicans like to allege, although public perception appears to hold that crime is rising.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...me-in-the-us/?

How do Americans perceive crime in their country?

Americans tend to believe crime is up, even when official data shows it is down.

In 23 of 27 Gallup surveys conducted since 1993, at least 60% of U.S. adults have said there is more crime nationally than there was the year before, despite the downward trend in crime rates during most of that period.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Pew research indicates that in certain areas crime has gone down, contrary to what Republicans like to allege, although public perception appears to hold that crime is rising.

Americans tend to believe crime is up, even when official data shows it is down.

In 23 of 27 Gallup surveys conducted since 1993, at least 60% of U.S. adults have said there is more crime nationally than there was the year before, despite the downward trend in crime rates during most of that period.
      In many cases it's "reported crime" that is down. With so much emphasis over the past few years on defunding the police and community tensions, crime may be happening but simply not being reported.
      This would be particularly true in areas where illegal aliens don't want encounters with police, so even when they are affected, they're less likely to report.
      Another factor is the "Uniform Crime Report" which each police department prepares for the FBI, from which many of these stats come.
      Nobody wants their community to be known as "high crime", so there are ways of classifying crimes as other than violent.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In many cases it's "reported crime" that is down. With so much emphasis over the past few years on defunding the police and community tensions, crime may be happening but simply not being reported.
        This would be particularly true in areas where illegal aliens don't want encounters with police, so even when they are affected, they're less likely to report.
        Another factor is the "Uniform Crime Report" which each police department prepares for the FBI, from which many of these stats come.
        Nobody wants their community to be known as "high crime", so there are ways of classifying crimes as other than violent.
        Got to love the conservative spin when they just can't accept the facts that crime, all crime, is down. Alternate facts are republican facts!!!

Comment

That is speculative.

Possibly.

Aka cooking the books?

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

My stepson is another fentanyl statistic.
            Condolences for your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

My niece was an RN coming off a 24 hour shift. She took an 'off brand' Valium she got from a 'friend.' Went to sleep and never woke up. Left a husband and two young boys.
              I'm sorry for the loss to you and her family.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I'm sorry for the loss to you and her family.
                Thank you...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That is speculative.
                  No, ma'am - I actually used to do the UCR for our Department - it's informed.

Possibly.
                  Highly likely.

Aka cooking the books?
                  You can call it that if you wish. It's the same thing that happens in our public schools --- nobody wants to be known as a crime-infested district, so they simply don't report unless they absolutely have to.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Condolences for your loss.
                    Thank you

Comment

So the crises facing the USA are
                      1) Climate change;
                      2) a flood of Fentanyl.

Project 2025 proposes
                      1) "sharply reducing environmental and climate change regulations to favor fossil fuel production" , removing/preventing greenhouse gas regulation, and cutting funding for climate research;
                      2) diverting DEA agents to deal with illegal immigrants instead of illegal drugs, and making it easier to sack people who work for the NIH.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        So the crises facing the USA are
                        1) Climate change;
                        2) a flood of Fentanyl.

Project 2025 proposes
                        1) "sharply reducing environmental and climate change regulations to favor fossil fuel production" , removing/preventing greenhouse gas regulation, and cutting funding for climate research;
                        2) diverting DEA agents to deal with illegal immigrants instead of illegal drugs, and making it easier to sack people who work for the NIH.

Could you please cite the section dealing with your "purposes" for Project 2025?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          I enjoyed a nice day in a small waterpark in northern Virginia, yesterday. I watched small children play in the pool, teenagers ride the waterslide over and over again, and adults watch all of it as they gabbed. It was a rather ordinary day. Before that I had done groceries, took a drive with my wife, and took a walk with my dog. All seemed fairly calm and ordinary.

I found myself reflecting on the language of “crisis” that we keep hearing from the GOP and conservatives. They use words like catastrophe and disaster to describe our country. They claim the Biden Administration is destroying our country.

I look about and I do not see destruction. I do not see catastrophes or disasters. I do not see an endless state of crisis. So does anyone know what they are talking about?
                          Do we have problems to be solved? Of course. Do we have issues to be resolved? Naturally! But each day seems to be unfolding after the one before and we are all generally free, doing what we have been doing for most of our lives, and going about our business.

So what, exactly, is the crisis? What is “disastrous” and a “catastrophe” about our nation? Isn’t all of this just a bit more fear mongering to rally folks?
                          You are a frog in a pot of water that is being boiled.

this-is-fine.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Apologies for that. Thank you. I clearly overreacted.
                            What? so no bacon bribe for me?

Comment

A lot of Americans tend to believe propaganda/lies and most all of that is coming from the rights propaganda machine as well, of course, from republican legislators. It's what they do!!
                              For example, the economic data was bad, there was a pandemic driven economic crash and the data didn't lie, all the economic indicators were down, and no one argued with the data. But now all of that has been turned around, all the indicators are up, the economy is back on track. But all of a sudden, according to the rights propagandist machine, now the data is lying.
                              So, it's all political bs, and people on the right like CP here, want to believe the propaganda, the lies, so they do, or at least they pretend that they do, and then they spread the bs by claiming stuff like "the books are cooked".Same thing goes for the crime data, they only believe it when it agrees with what they want to believe.
                              Last edited by JimL; 06-17-2024, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

What? so no bacon bribe for me?
                                Don't trust him, whag. I gave him a map to rogue06's bacon stash, and he reneged on banning Trout.

Comment