Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Even Atheists Think That Atheists Are More Immoral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    You can assign meaning to anything. But will it ACTUALLY mean anything? Not in a godless universe.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      That is why there is a hell... And how is God authoritarian? Is He forcing you to love Him? To follow Him?
      He's making you an offer you can't refuse, in true mafia style.

Comment

Prove it, logically. And of course one wonders why the majority of humans, for the majority of history, even today, have believed in some form of the divine. Atheism certainly has not been the default position in practice.
        For the "majority of humans, for the majority of history" the understanding where the sun went at night could only be explained by attributing it to all powerful deities. The gods were many and varied and it was only an accident of geography which god you ended up worshipping...it still is. More to the point, modern science is better equipped to explain these things than imaginary gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          He's making you an offer you can't refuse, in true mafia style.
          Well you are refusing it.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            For the "majority of humans, for the majority of history" the understanding where the sun went at night could only be explained by attributing it to all powerful deities. The gods were many and varied and it was only an accident of geography which god you ended up worshipping...it still is. More to the point, modern science is better equipped to explain these things than imaginary gods.
            Yet even today the majority of mankind is religious - atheism is a decidedly minority position. So atheism is not, and has not been, the default position.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yet even today the majority of mankind is religious - atheism is a decidedly minority position. So atheism is not, and has not been, the default position.
              Since default positions don't have to be the majority, or even the most common, your argument fails.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Since default positions don't have to be the majority, or even the most common, your argument fails.
                So, why then is atheism the default position? Based in what?

Comment

So, why then is atheism the default position?
                  I didn't say it was.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    I didn't say it was.
                    Well then Tass needs to explain because if it is not based on the majority position, or historical realities, then what is it based on? And you did say that default positions don't have to be the majority - I assume that in this case you must have a reason for asserting that - or you just said it for no good reason.

Comment

I think they need better PR!
                      For one thing, so what, that, if it be fact, has nothing to do with whether or not any religious belief is true or not. What it might tell you is why it is that we created religions in the first place.

Comment

I didn't say there was a problem, it is just not a logical reason. And emotion can be turned to do more harm than good.
                        Not in a nihilistic world. That follows by definition:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          Not in a nihilistic world. That follows by definition:-)
                          What?

Comment

And Charles, you said you were not an atheist - so what exactly are you?
                            I am an agnostic, but not in the most traditional sense. I think some God beyond the grasp of our understanding could exist. The Gods of established religions could not (in my opinion).
                            Last edited by Charles; 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              I am an agnostic, but not in the most traditional sense. I think some God beyond the grasp of our understanding could exist. The God's of established religions could not (in my opinion).
                              OK...

Comment

OK...
                                You should try it, seer :-)

Comment