Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Louisiana law gets medieval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Title:snipped
    I will make the same request to you that I made to Sparko. I am requesting that you now cease these posts. You are welcome to post on the thread topic.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I will make the same request to you that I made to Sparko. I am requesting that you now cease these posts. You are welcome to post on the thread topic.
      Sure thing, I will accept that you made a fool of yourself and would like to go back to the original post.

With regard to that, why are you selectively outraged about the rapist who made threats than the victim he raped?

Comment

Sure thing, I will accept that you made a fool of yourself and would like to go back to the original post.

With regard to that, why are you selectively outraged about the rapist who made threats than the victim he raped?
        I certainly consider Sullivan deserves incarceration but I consider physical castration medieval, hence the thread's title.

My own view is that therapy with trained and qualified psychiatrists is a better option but that costs a lot of money. Processes like physical or chemical castration are not only much cheaper on the public purse but also carry a distinct hint of lex talionis.

He raped and therefore his sexual organs or his sexual desires are removed. It is the same mentality as removing a thief's hand or a perjurer's tongue.

"It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I certainly consider Sullivan deserves incarceration but I consider physical castration medieval, hence the thread's title.

My own view is that therapy with trained and qualified psychiatrists is a better option but that costs a lot of money. Processes like physical or chemical castration are not only much cheaper on the public purse but also carry a distinct hint of lex talionis.

He raped and therefore his sexual organs or his sexual desires are removed. It is the same mentality as removing a thief's hand or a perjurer's tongue.

selective outrage?

Source: https://theworld.org/stories/2017/05/13/germany-must-stop-castrating-sex-offenders-says-european-rights-watchdog

BERLIN, Germany — The Council of Europe has criticized Germany for offering surgical castration as part of the rehabilitation of sex offenders.

In a new report, the watchdog's Committee for the Prevention of Torture (CPT) calls the practice "degrading" and recommends immediate action to outlaw it.

As German law stands, people considered at risk of committing sexual crimes can volunteer to undergo the procedure in order to help them manage "an abnormal sex drive."

Few people do, according to the CPT's report: "unofficial statistics" indicate that there were fewer than five surgical castrations per year in Germany over the past decade.

The German government defends the practice on the grounds that it is not used as a punishment, rather a treatment that "enables severe illnesses, mental disorders and suffering tied to an abnormal sex drive of the person affected to be cured or at least alleviated." According to one study cited, of 104 people who were castrated between 1970-80, only 3 percent reoffended, compared to 46 percent of the 53 others who did not have the operation.

However, the CPT questioned the efficacity of castration, saying there was no guarantee that it would result in the permanent lowering of testosterone levels and, therefore, the presumed reduction of sexual impulses.

At the same time, unlike more recent treatments such hormone therapy, surgical castration is irreversible, the CPT said, and may have "serious physical and mental consequences." Furthermore, prisoners may feel themselves pressured into agreeing to it, "believing that it is the only available option to them to avoid indefinite confinement."

The CPT concludes that the procedure is "a mutilating, irreversible intervention and cannot be considered as a medical necessity in the context of the treatment of sexual offenders."

In its response to the report, the German government said it "understood" the CPT's critical view of castration, and was considering launching a debate on the matter.

According to the Guardian, the Czech Republic is the only other EU state that still uses the procedure, for which it too has been criticized by the CPT.

However, several more countries offer sex offenders chemical castration – the use of drugs to reduce libido – including Denmark, Poland and France, as well as a number of US states. And in Russia, parliament recently approved a bill to make chemical castration mandatory for pedophiles, RIA Novosti reported.

© Copyright Original Source

Has Germany changed it's position in the last 7 years? Why have you not started threads condemning the practice there?

Comment

selective outrage?

Source: https://theworld.org/stories/2017/05/13/germany-must-stop-castrating-sex-offenders-says-european-rights-watchdog

BERLIN, Germany — The Council of Europe has criticized Germany for offering surgical castration as part of the rehabilitation of sex offenders.

In a new report, the watchdog's Committee for the Prevention of Torture (CPT) calls the practice "degrading" and recommends immediate action to outlaw it.

As German law stands, people considered at risk of committing sexual crimes can volunteer to undergo the procedure in order to help them manage "an abnormal sex drive."

Few people do, according to the CPT's report: "unofficial statistics" indicate that there were fewer than five surgical castrations per year in Germany over the past decade.

The German government defends the practice on the grounds that it is not used as a punishment, rather a treatment that "enables severe illnesses, mental disorders and suffering tied to an abnormal sex drive of the person affected to be cured or at least alleviated." According to one study cited, of 104 people who were castrated between 1970-80, only 3 percent reoffended, compared to 46 percent of the 53 others who did not have the operation.

However, the CPT questioned the efficacity of castration, saying there was no guarantee that it would result in the permanent lowering of testosterone levels and, therefore, the presumed reduction of sexual impulses.

At the same time, unlike more recent treatments such hormone therapy, surgical castration is irreversible, the CPT said, and may have "serious physical and mental consequences." Furthermore, prisoners may feel themselves pressured into agreeing to it, "believing that it is the only available option to them to avoid indefinite confinement."

The CPT concludes that the procedure is "a mutilating, irreversible intervention and cannot be considered as a medical necessity in the context of the treatment of sexual offenders."

In its response to the report, the German government said it "understood" the CPT's critical view of castration, and was considering launching a debate on the matter.

According to the Guardian, the Czech Republic is the only other EU state that still uses the procedure, for which it too has been criticized by the CPT.

However, several more countries offer sex offenders chemical castration – the use of drugs to reduce libido – including Denmark, Poland and France, as well as a number of US states. And in Russia, parliament recently approved a bill to make chemical castration mandatory for pedophiles, RIA Novosti reported.

Has Germany changed it's position in the last 7 years? Why have you not started threads condemning the practice there?
            And I thought your questions were serious. I was mistaken.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And I thought your questions were serious. I was mistaken.
              Are you not outraged at your own country's Medieval punishments? Good Grief! Does Margaret Atwood not come to mind when looking at Germany?
              Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 05-14-2024, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Are you not outraged at your own country's Medieval punishments? Good Grief! Does Margaret Atwood not come to mind when looking at Germany?
                I hold the same view as I do about Louisiana and I do not support those practises. I am sure there are things about various US policies with which you do not agree yet you still live in the country.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I hold the same view as I do about Louisiana and I do not support those practises. I am sure there are things about various US policies with which you do not agree yet you still live in the country.
                  The fact that you aren't starting threads about Germany shows selective outrage on your part.

Comment

The fact that you aren't starting threads about Germany shows selective outrage on your part.
                    If you simply wish to carp there is no point continuing with these exchanges.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

If you simply wish to carp there is no point continuing with these exchanges.
                      I would LOVE to go fishing!

Comment

How about addressing this?

As you have subsequently persistently denied that the phrase "special needs" also includes gifted children and indeed children who suffer other conditions such dyspraxia or dyslexia , why did you use the phrase?
                        Why did I use the phrase? Because you made the false claim that in Britain it also means capable, gifted children when there is not only a lack of evidence to support this claim of yours and a good deal that flies in its face. Yet you persisted in making the claim and refusing to corroborate it even when asked multiple times.

After you found yourself "cornered" you got desperate (rather than simply admitting an error) and tried to claim that special needs and then disabled were slurs -- when they are part of the official description used in Britain to describe it, and after you had used these so-called "slurs." You sought to distract attention from your ignorant declaration but only served to keep a spotlight on it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

selective outrage?

Oopsie.

Needless to say, when Germany does what H_A deems a barbaric medieval practice that's totally different than when Louisiana follows follows their lead.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, he doesn't start wacky threads complaining about something going on in another country when his own country is doing that same thing.

That would be you, darlin'.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I would LOVE to go fishing!
                              I like catching a whole lot more than fishing.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Why did I use the phrase? Because you made the false claim that in Britain it also means capable, gifted children when there is not only a lack of evidence to support this claim of yours and a good deal that flies in its face. Yet you persisted in making the claim and refusing to corroborate it even when asked multiple times.
                                Either that is a flagrant lie, or your memory is rapidly deteriorating given that the exchanges commenced barely one week ago.

The other possibility being that you were simply too lazy to look back through the last few pages of this thread to ascertain the exact textual evidence from us both.

Here is our exchange commencing with my correction to my mis-use of the phrase "special pleading".

05-07-2024, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

My error. I intended your flagrant self promotion as if you are a special individual.

And here is your reply where you continue to brag about yourself as a special individual. .

My emphasis

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                We're all special. In different ways. Like you are special... special needs, apparently.

I have lived a very interesting life and been encouraged to write a book or two about it several times (my typical reply is no thanks, my accounts die with me), and now for the last couple of decades have lived a quiet, boring life -- and am loving it.

And here is my reply which includes a reference to your affectation and posturing

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                                Point of information the phrase special needs also applies to highly gifted children.

"It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment