Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Marjorie Taylor Greene on Natural Phenomena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I asked him a similar question yesterday and he never addressed it. Although he does like to affect that he knows people's thoughts. I understood only his deity was believed to have that ability
    I don’t go out of my way surgically defending nutcases known for their nuttery and abrasive personalities.

What even are you thinking, rogue?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      A friend of mine posted on Facebook that it can't be coincidence that Exodus 4:8 references signs, the earthquake in New York City was 4.8 on the Richter scale, and the eclipse is on 4/8. This certainly takes Exodus 4:8 out of its context.

Eclipses and earthquakes both happen all the time. Earthquakes are mentioned in Matthew 24, so would at least be a better place to start with than the eclipse.
      Matt. 24:29 and Acts 2:20 both talk about the darkening of the sun in conjunction with the Last Days.

But one would expect those signs to be notable in and around Israel, not here in the U.S.

The frenzy is because of some kind of Christian-Nationalism-adjacent mindset that thinks the Bible is somehow all about us.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        A friend of mine posted on Facebook that it can't be coincidence that Exodus 4:8 references signs, the earthquake in New York City was 4.8 on the Richter scale, and the eclipse is on 4/8. This certainly takes Exodus 4:8 out of its context.

Eclipses and earthquakes both happen all the time. Earthquakes are mentioned in Matthew 24, so would at least be a better place to start with than the eclipse.
        I think Matt 24:11 would be a better place to start in regard to the eclipse and all the videos that popped up on YT about it that got 6 and 7 figure views. This was like Herald Camping, only it was much more widespread across the church with a variety of different Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

She definitely believed that shootings were FF:

https://x.com/krassenstein/status/1642711126562488320

Why are you defending this woman when you clearly know she held fringe beliefs?
          Defending? Just wanting to see the actual evidence rather than rely on what partisans claim she said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

I don’t go out of my way surgically defending nutcases known for their nuttery and abrasive personalities.

What even are you thinking, rogue?
            Again, simply asking for things like actual quotes rather than what someone claims she said. This seems to be in short supply.

On the SJL thread, I said that Lee immediately started throwing around accusations of racism in response to her cluster gaffes regarding the moon and eclipse. But then I realized that was what she did earlier after she asked if the Mars lander could find the flag that the astronauts left, and there aren't reports of her doing that again now. So I retracted my statement.

In your book that means I was "go[ing] out of my way surgically defending nutcases known for their nuttery and abrasive personalities," whereas it was nothing more than following the evidence.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

You're calling sourced direct quotes from Key saying he thinks blacks are an inferior race "absolutely no evidence" he was a racist.
              Utterly false and I'll add that for some reason you never seem to include quotes to try to support your dubious B.S.

Comment

Anyone else notice that Mrs. Greene looks like Janice the Muppet?

There is a solar eclipse somewhere in the world ever year or two. It was beautiful . But It wasn't special, unless you consider it to be special for going over the US this time.

Comment

Originally posted by VonTastrophe View Post

There is a solar eclipse somewhere in the world ever year or two. It was beautiful . But It wasn't special, unless you consider it to be special for going over the US this time.
                  It is rare for there to be a total solar eclipse over any specific area. On average, that happens once every 400 years. So, yes I would consider it "special", and it was one thing I was able to mark off of my bucket list.

Now, do I believe it to be supernatural? No. But special and supernatural are nowhere near being the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Defending? Just wanting to see the actual evidence rather than rely on what partisans claim she said.
                    Rogue, the fact you were not already aware of the excess of MTG shows how biased the set of sources you allow to influence your opinions has become. She has a lot of influence in the GOP, and is about as hair brained as they come. The fact she is electable speaks loudly and strongly about how screwed up or current situation is. But to know nothing of her excess means you have cut off sources saying things you don't want to hear.

And that is both unlike the rogue I knew in nat-sci, and dangerous to all of us in that when intelligent, mindful people get drawn into the partisan fray to the point they no longer are willing to field viewpoints other than their own, we all lose.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Rogue, the fact you were not already aware of the excess of MTG shows how biased the set of sources you allow to influence your opinions has become. She has a lot of influence in the GOP, and is about as hair brained as they come. The fact she is electable speaks loudly and strongly about how screwed up or current situation is. But to know nothing of her excess means you have cut off sources saying things you don't want to hear.

And that is both unlike the rogue I knew in nat-sci, and dangerous to all of us in that when intelligent, mindful people get drawn into the partisan fray to the point they no longer are willing to field viewpoints other than their own, we all lose.
                      I'm quite aware of what sort of person MTG is, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to see evidence verifying a specific claim. I mean it would be like someone saying that Hillary has troublesome people killed and then declaring that no evidence is needed to substantiate the claim because we know what sort of person she is.

The fact that you didn't offer any verification but instead say I should just accept it as true because "she has a lot of influence in the GOP, and is about as hair brained as they come" would suggest that you don't have anything to offer as verification.

Talk about not being like the person I knew in nat-sci and taking a dangerous position.

Comment

Originally posted by VonTastrophe View Post
                        Hey now. I dated a girl back in the 80s or 90s everyone called "Janice" because she looked like Janice the Muppet.

Comment

I'm quite aware of what sort of person MTG is, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to see evidence verifying a specific claim. I mean it would be like someone saying that Hillary has troublesome people killed and then declaring that no evidence is needed to substantiate the claim because we know what sort of person she is.

The fact that you didn't offer any verification but instead say I should just accept it as true because "she has a lot of influence in the GOP, and is about as hair brained as they come" would suggest that you don't have anything to offer as verification.

Talk about not being like the person I knew in nat-sci and taking a dangerous position.
                          And yet, the only people you demand evidence to support an accusation are - maga republicans. I don't see you challenging accusations about Biden, or Cortez, or Cheney for that matter.

So the claim you are 'just asking for evidence' is a smoke screen to justify a double standard wrt politicians who are for the things you are for vs polititians whose viewpoints or policies you oppose.

And it does seem you missed the part earlier in this thread where I indeed offered validation wrt green's position one of the shootings mentioned was a FF operation.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

And yet, the only people you demand evidence to support an accusation are - maga republicans. I don't see you challenging accusations about Biden, or Cortez, or Cheney for that matter.

So the claim you are 'just asking for evidence' is a smoke screen to justify a double standard wrt politicians who are for the things you are for vs polititians whose viewpoints or policies you oppose.

And it does seem you missed the part earlier in this thread where I indeed offered validation wrt green's position one of the shootings mentioned was a FF operation.
                            A fairly ham-fisted way of admitting that you lack any support for your claims.

Comment

Again, simply asking for things like actual quotes rather than what someone claims she said. This seems to be in short supply.

On the SJL thread, I said that Lee immediately started throwing around accusations of racism in response to her cluster gaffes regarding the moon and eclipse. But then I realized that was what she did earlier after she asked if the Mars lander could find the flag that the astronauts left, and there aren't reports of her doing that again now. So I retracted my statement.

In your book that means I was "go[ing] out of my way surgically defending nutcases known for their nuttery and abrasive personalities," whereas it was nothing more than following the evidence.
                              I said she believed it was a FF, which is undeniable given her response to every mass shooting—particularly in her harassment of Parkland victim Hogg:

In the video from March 2019, Greene follows Hogg as he walks toward the US Capitol. She can be heard making false and baseless claims as she asks him a series of questions related to gun rights and how he was able to meet with senators. Hogg continues to walk without addressing Greene.

"He's a coward," Greene says at the end of the video as Hogg walks away, claiming his activism was funded by billionaire philanthropist George Soros, who is often the subject of far-right conspiracy theories, and other liberals. "He can't say one word because he can't defend his stance."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/27/p...vid-hogg-video

Re: her belief that mass shootings are false flags:

Greene in multiple comments agreed with baseless conspiracy theories that the officer was involved in an inside job, in one instance replying to the comment “It’s called a pay off to keep his mouth shut since it was a false flag planned shooting” with “Exactly.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichola...nned-shooting/

In addition, she supports Alex Jones even after his post-Sandy Hook behavior. Jones started the trend of calling every mass shooting in the US a FF designed to get the gun grab going.
                              He’s a POS who’s responsible for compounding the already crushing grief of parents who, every day, remember how their kids died—in terror as the shooter who approached them and cut them to ribbons with automatic gunfire.

You do yourself no favors by nitpicking her defense.
                              Last edited by whag; 06-09-2024, 03:15 PM.

Comment