Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reza Aslan Communes with Cannibals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

If he was actually handling venomous serpents then he was taking the verse literally not figuratively.
    So you take Genesis literally? Good to know.

No. He was doing what he was told to do, which was reach out to lost people. That isn’t the same as hillbillies holding vipers, therefore it’s not literal.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

So you take Genesis literally? Good to know.

No. He was doing what he was told to do, which was reach out to lost people. That isn’t the same as hillbillies holding vipers, therefore it’s not literal.
      So you think that the passage regarding handling venomous serpents is in Genesis?

Anybody playing around with snakes because they think that's what the verse means is taking an idiom literally.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So you think that the passage regarding handling venomous serpents is in Genesis?
        Cute.

No, if you believe Adam was a literal and not a figurative representation of the first man, then by your definition, you’re taking Genesis literally. You knew what I meant.

Anybody playing around with snakes because they think that's what the verse means is taking an idiom literally.
        Richardson wasn’t playing with snakes but spreading the gospel to a part of the world. It’s been a while since I read Peace Child but I don’t remember him handling any snakes. What are you even talking about?

Here’s the snake-handling verse again:

And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover

You’ll have to define these items so we’re clear about what you’re getting at.

Comment