Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Desantis out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Why?
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    His campaign was on a downward spiral from day one, and after he got trounced in Iowa, his donors pulled their support, so he has no money left to campaign with.
    It was a joke wrt abortion.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

It was a joke wrt abortion.
      Ah, makes sense. Probably comes through to someone more invested in the topic than I am.

Comment

His campaign was on a downward spiral from day one, and after he got trounced in Iowa, his donors pulled their support, so he has no money left to campaign with.
        FWIU he was planning on making a last stand in South Carolina but I think he was forgetting that's Halley's home state.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A President for stupid people:

“We had the best unemployment rates ever. And they were real unemployment, not like you have today where nobody’s working and they consider it to be. It’s a whole different thing. Too complicated to explain, but it’s a whole different thing. You don’t have to know about it.”
          — Former president Donald Trump, remarks in Rochester, N.H., Jan. 21

and I really think that that is good enough explanation for the MAGA.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

“We had the best unemployment rates ever. And they were real unemployment, not like you have today where nobody’s working and they consider it to be. It’s a whole different thing. Too complicated to explain, but it’s a whole different thing. You don’t have to know about it.”

I think he realized as he was talking about it that he wasn't able to explain exactly how they often change the definition of "unemployed" in order to keep the numbers down.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I think he realized as he was talking about it that he wasn't able to explain exactly how they often change the definition of "unemployed" in order to keep the numbers down.
              Apart from the COVID spike, the unemployment rate has been trending downwards since 2010 and is close to on trend again. The curve flattens out as it approaches 3 - 4% so it won’t go any lower.

The economy only works with positive inflation and some unemployment. It looks very good at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Some-one on another forum suggested he be forced to carry his campaign full-term.
                That's actually clever - I had to give you an amen.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post

While expressed in his own inimitable fashion, President Trump is absolutely correct. What he's referring to is the labor force participation rate which remains far below where it was before the pandemic and has been a statistical flat line through the majority of Joe's term in office. In other words, people are not actively looking for work in Joe's economy, which results in artificially low unemployment. If we were to include all the people of working age who could be working but have dropped out of the labor market, unemployment would fall somewhere between 10% to 25%.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

While expressed in his own inimitable fashion, President Trump is absolutely correct. What he's referring to is the labor force participation rate which remains far below where it was before the pandemic
                    Did you bother to look at the chart you linked to? The labor force participation for the last year is barely distinguishable from what it was before the pandemic. (And the difference is most likely due to baby boomers retiring.)

and has been a statistical flat line through the majority of Joe's term in office.
                    The rate increased significantly during Biden's first two years in office.

In other words, people are not actively looking for work in Joe's economy, which results in artificially low unemployment. If we were to include all the people of working age who could be working but have dropped out of the labor market, unemployment would fall somewhere between 10% to 25%.
                    Nonsense.

Comment

The 2012 "unskewing" panic was one of the highlights of pre-Crash Civics and I, for one, welcome its return.

-Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                        Did you bother to look at the chart you linked to? The labor force participation for the last year is barely distinguishable from what it was before the pandemic. (And the difference is most likely due to baby boomers retiring.)

The rate increased significantly during Biden's first two years in office.

Nonsense.
                        "Barely distinguishable". Yeah, okay.

lfpr.jpg

Comment

"Barely distinguishable". Yeah, okay.
                          Feel free to show that the difference is greater than can be explained by boomers retiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                            Feel free to show that the difference is greater than can be explained by boomers retiring.
                            If that's the narrative you want to go with, then feel free to support it yourself.

Comment

DeSantis endorsed Trump.

Tim Scott, who Haley appointed Senator to replace the retiring Sen. Jim DeMint, endorsed Trump.

Pretty much just waiting for the fat lady to start singing.

Meanwhile, old Joe won New Hampshire with a paltry 58% of the vote. For an incumbent in a primary that is incredibly low. To be sure, that's because his keepers really miscalculated badly by snubbing New Hampshire resulting in the duffer having to run a write-in campaign.

I say miscalculated in that South Carolina, which old Joe wanted to be the first primary, is a solid red state whereas New Hampshire is considered a toss-up state. So old Joe snubbed a state that either party can win in order to play to a state where the only question is, how much will he lose by.

Then, to top it off, they put a good deal of their energy trying to get Democrats to cross-over and vote for Haley instead of focusing on getting a big turn-out for Biden. So he only won by 58%.

Comment