Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Moon Landing Deniers and Best Explanations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    It's like choosing your brain surgeon. I am not going to the diversity school of Quota Filling to select my surgeon, nor (as an astronaut) would I want someone from that category operating the rockets that might send me into oblivion. Just the most qualified candidates, please.
    Absolutely - and in my rookie days, I applied for the Sergeant position on our PD, and tested in the top 3 for 3 available positions - I was a SHOE-IN!!!

But I was told by the Safety Director that they had to hire a black, a female a Hispanic. I got passed over because I was white.
    They only hired 2 (citing budget issues), and neither of them was even in the top 20 applicants.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Absolutely - and in my rookie days, I applied for the Sergeant position on our PD, and tested in the top 3 for 3 available positions - I was a SHOE-IN!!!

But I was told by the Safety Director that they had to hire a black, a female a Hispanic. I got passed over because I was white.
      They only hired 2 (citing budget issues), and neither of them was even in the top 20 applicants.
      I got hired by a company where I was told that I couldn't expect any promotions for awhile because I was a white male. For a variety of reasons I only lasted a little over a week.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I got hired by a company where I was told that I couldn't expect any promotions for awhile because I was a white male. For a variety of reasons I only lasted a little over a week.
        In the early 80s, I worked for a company where my supervisor was black. I didn't pay much attention to the details, but apparently he was inclined to hire only black candidates. There were a couple of goof-offs in the batch, and a couple others quickly jumped ship and went to another company for more money. Then my supervisor did the same thing. So, at the next company meeting, the manager shouted "That's the last time I hire a black guy!" Everybody gasped. Not exactly something one should be shouting out the window.

Comment

In the early 80s, I worked for a company where my supervisor was black. I didn't pay much attention to the details, but apparently he was inclined to hire only black candidates. There were a couple of goof-offs in the batch, and a couple others quickly jumped ship and went to another company for more money. Then my supervisor did the same thing. So, at the next company meeting, the manager shouted "That's the last time I hire a black guy!" Everybody gasped. Not exactly something one should be shouting out the window.
          The company I'm referring to is a fairly big one but had decided they needed to promote more women and minorities so if you were a white male you wouldn't be getting a promotion for awhile. I was surprised he was so open about it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's like choosing your brain surgeon. I am not going to the diversity school of Quota Filling to select my surgeon, nor (as an astronaut) would I want someone from that category operating the rockets that might send me into oblivion. Just the most qualified candidates, please.
            But didn't you know? This kind of thinking is holding back the science of brain surgery! If people like you had their way, we would still be operating on brains with pointy sticks!
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

But didn't you know? This kind of thinking is holding back the science of brain surgery! If people like you had their way, we would still be operating on brains with pointy sticks!
              That's some comical imagery! You mean to tell me that once upon a time, people performed brain surgery with pointy sticks? I'd prefer my surgeon use chiseled flint rocks.

Comment

That's some comical imagery! You mean to tell me that once upon a time, people performed brain surgery with pointy sticks? I'd prefer my surgeon use chiseled flint rocks.
                Paleolithic trepanning FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'm a doctor. Not a .... oh, that's right."

Comment

Or this classic, when Dr. McCoy scolds a 20th century brain surgeon:

"My God, man, drilling holes in his head is not the answer! Now put away your butcher knives and let me save this patient before it's too late!"

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

That we haven't been there since, in spite of our exponentially advanced technology and the fact there are multi billion dollar companies that could easily fund such a project.
                        It is just as difficult to get to the moon as it was during the Apollo missions - except for computers. But you also need a reason for going back. That seems to be tied up with the hope of manned missions to Mars. But it is not clear either why you would want to go there.

Even manned Earth orbiting missions are likely to be phased out when robotic satellites can do anything a man can do.

Space debris is going to make manned space flight very risky in the future. We are growing a ring (like Saturn) of rocket fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

It is just as difficult to get to the moon as it was during the Apollo missions - except for computers. But you also need a reason for going back. That seems to be tied up with the hope of manned missions to Mars. But it is not clear either why you would want to go there.

Even manned Earth orbiting missions are likely to be phased out when robotic satellites can do anything a man can do.

Space debris is going to make manned space flight very risky in the future. We are growing a ring (like Saturn) of rocket fragments.
                          We send people into space because people WANT to go into space, to the moon and to other planets. We want to go there personally instead of sending probes that can only send back pictures and telemetry (delayed by light speed).

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            For me that was always the death knell for the claim the moon landing was hoaxed. The Soviets would've know it and would have had a field day with it.
                            I remember worrying at the time that the Russian probe (quick googling says it was Luna 15) that crash landed just before the Apollo crew landed successfully )google tells me I misremembered and it crashed the day after) was secretly manned in a clandestine attempt to beat us. Even after it crashed, I suspected they were covering up the deaths of their cosmonauts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

We send people into space because people WANT to go into space, to the moon and to other planets. We want to go there personally instead of sending probes that can only send back pictures and telemetry (delayed by light speed).
                              I would love to go there personally. I'm not physically up to it, however.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I remember worrying at the time that the Russian probe (quick googling says it was Luna 15) that crash landed just before the Apollo crew landed successfully )google tells me I misremembered and it crashed the day after) was secretly manned in a clandestine attempt to beat us. Even after it crashed, I suspected they were covering up the deaths of their cosmonauts.

There are claims that Russia covered up many cosmonaut deaths to save face, but, of course, most of these claims are unverified.

Comment