Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Moon Landing Deniers and Best Explanations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I guess we're all gonna just forget about this

Some of the videos I have seen actually seriously state that aliens have been observed, and fear is why we don't go back.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Yup. They weren't only analyzing the film and the broadcasts, but I'm sure they were monitoring the flight path. They were probably also capable of determining the origin of the Apollo radio communications. I think that's the best argument against all of the deniers, that the Soviets were satisfied.
      Yup, they actually congratulated the US for the mission and had a front page article about it.

soveit congrats.jpg

“Soviet President Nikolay V. Podgorny had sent telegram to President Nixon offering "our congratulations and best wishes to the space pilots".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Some of the videos I have seen actually seriously state that aliens have been observed, and fear is why we don't go back.
        It's TROO -- and why the squirrels will only vacation on Mars

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          It's TROO -- and why the squirrels will only vacation on Mars

It's amazing the things we can find when we're hyper-focused on finding things.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You have to remember, space travel was VERY expensive (still is). Once the initial novelty of the US going to the moon wore off, so did much of the NASA funding. The space shuttle program actually fell well short of it's actual plan. I wouldn't say they were a failure, but they were originally planned to be used much, much more than they ever got close to. It turns out "routine" spaceflight is hard to do, and expensive. During the space race, we were spending 4% of our federal budget on NASA. That's huge. The space shuttle program was an attempt to drop the cost of launching into space.
            I realize all of that. I was responding to Cow Poke who was asking what kind of incentive there is to go back to the moon. There are disincentives too, but that issue has always stuck in the back of my mind.

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Advertising. Many companies spend anywhere between 10-13% of their budget on advertising. Apple has a net worth of about $2 trillion. A televised moonwalk project would be a pretty broad advertising platform.
            That is something else that would be an incentive.

Comment

It's amazing the things we can find when we're hyper-focused on finding things.
              When you have hyperfocus on a regular basis, it isn't so amazing anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

When you have hyperfocus on a regular basis, it isn't so amazing anymore.
                Kinda like when a news reporter says "the Arab Street is enraged", I ask, "when are they NOT".

Comment

Advertising. Many companies spend anywhere between 10-13% of their budget on advertising. Apple has a net worth of about $2 trillion. A televised moonwalk project would be a pretty broad advertising platform.
                  HEY!!! How bout the galaxy's only MOON BILLBOARD?!?!?! That would certainly get some attention!

Comment

Yup, they actually congratulated the US for the mission and had a front page article about it.

soveit congrats.jpg

“Soviet President Nikolay V. Podgorny had sent telegram to President Nixon offering "our congratulations and best wishes to the space pilots".
                    Those Russkies need to learn how to write. I can't make out any of that.

Comment

Kinda like when a news reporter says "the Arab Street is enraged", I ask, "when are they NOT".
                      Very similar, yes. Other people around me tend to still be surprised by that and by my long-term memory it all seems so mundane to me.

Comment

I think it's more reasonable than all the other "evidence" that is quibbled about, i.e. the shadows should in this direction and not that direction, or the light should be doing this instead of doing that, or the flag should be doing this and not doing that, etc. I don't really buy into those arguments because I don't know enough about physics in outer space to know whether or not those arguments are legit.
                        We went back 5 more times. Nasa just couldn't get more funding to keep going back. And once they discontinued the Saturn V, there wasn't anything powerful enough to take us back even if they did get the funding.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 12-22-2023, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          We went back 5 more times. Nasa just couldn't get more funding to keep going back. And once they discontinued the Saturn V, there wasn't anything powerful enough to take us back even if they did get the funding.
                          Yup.

Couple of things....
                          It was quite obviously a space race against the Russians, which made it, in effect, a proxy war.
                          Because of that, it received "wartime funding", far in excess of anything that could be sustained.
                          Further, it was never intended to be a repeatable ongoing program, and finally ran out of steam (tax payer funding).

Comment

We went back 5 more times...
                            Or DID we?

Comment

Or DID we?
                              I did!

Comment

I did!
                                We all witnessed the first test of the launch system

She just had to remember to follow through on her swing and when she did you achieved orbit.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment