Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

$15/hr Min Wage - We told you so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    My error, meant 1969, but the point, which you love to avoid, is the same.
    Ah, you added stuff!!!

The minimum wage should be at least $13.00 an hour today yet in many places it isn't even $8.00 an hour.
    Why? Why 13? Let's see if you can give a sound reason for that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trout View Post
      I have seen them cheat people in my town for decades.

Firstly, they ran all the mom and pop pharmacies, shoe stores, sporting goods stores, clothing stores, electronics stores etc all of which were staffed with well paid professionals who had and maintained a sense of community. Wal-Mart of course offered them positions in their store for a fraction of their worth.

I for one think if you shop at Wal-Mart, you aren't allowed a seat at the table in the minimum wage discussion.
      Walmart snobbery?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Target recently announced that they were raising their pay to $15/hr. which caused everyone to turn an eye to Walmart to see if/when they'll follow suit. What most don't realize, at least around here, virtually nobody gets more than 30/hrs/week and usually less working at Target. It is a complete waste of time looking for someone to help you find anything because hardly any employees are to be found except at the checkout.
        And more checkouts are becoming automated too. At the local Meijers (department and grocery store combined) They have about 3 humans running checkout lanes in the whole store and about a dozen automated ones with one or two employees overseeing them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          My error, meant 1969, but the point, which you love to avoid, is the same. The minimum wage should be at least $13.00 an hour today yet in many places it isn't even $8.00 an hour.
          It would have been $11.58/hour. And I really doubt that. I worked for $1.60 an hour in 1973 (equiv $9.70) at a summer job and I had to save up all summer just to afford a boom box and some cassette tapes. So these inflation estimates seem to be way off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            You call 15$/hr top dollar? Woaw.
            For menial labor that even a trained monkey could do? It absolutely is.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              If a robot arm can do it, then yeah $15/hour is top dollar for a "burger flipper"

Most of these jobs are filled by high school students who need a job, or people without any marketable skills. Having such low paying entry level jobs gives them a chance to make some extra money, and allows the company to offer more jobs to more people. They aren't meant as a "livable wage" to raise a family on. If people want more money, they need to get some training. Heck even a burger flipper can show initiative and work their way up to manager if they want.

Comment

I checked up what McDonalds pays in Denmark for a burger flipper and that's 17$/hr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  True, but pushing up the cost of employing folks speeds up the process dramatically. When they first started talking about automating fast food restaurants the companies sloughed it off as being too expensive, but as workers started demanding a sharp jump in pay it became much more feasible.

It's kinda like getting oil from shale or oil sands. When the price was $40/barrel for oil it just wasn't practical. But when it reached $100/barrel it became profitable. And when the price drops below a certain threshold these operations shutdown.
                  Agreed on the acceleration.

Or getting uranium from high grade ore which 100$/pound, vs getting it from sea-water which is 1500$/pound.

Comment

I checked up what McDonalds pays in Denmark for a burger flipper and that's 17$/hr.
                    I was referring to US dollars. In the US, $17/hour is what a skilled IT helpdesk person would make.

Comment

But what is that relative to your economy. How much, for example would a Quarter Pounder w Cheese, fries, and a large coke cost?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They get paid in dollars?

And what does a Big Mac cost in Denmark?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Or any substantial "value meal". Quarter Pounder meal is right at $7.00.

Comment

I was referring to US dollars. In the US, $17/hour is what a skilled IT helpdesk person would make.
                            I make more than that in a similar position and I don't think I'm all that skilled.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              But what is that relative to your economy. How much, for example would a Quarter Pounder w Cheese, fries, and a large coke cost?
                              Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I converted it to American dollars. It was a 113kr/hr if you want it in Danish Crowns instead.

And a quarter pounder menu is 64kr (9,62$).

A Big Mac is 30kr (4.51$)

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                I make more than that in a similar position and I don't think I'm all that skilled.
                                I suppose it depends on what you're doing and how long you've been doing it, but entry level pay for IT helpdesk is in the $17/hr range. Of course "skilled" is a relative term. You need more smarts doing IT work then your do flipping burgers.

Comment