Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Rally Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Being charged with a crime is hardly a prosecution. Persecution, maybe. Unless prosecutors were investigating and preparing to go to court, a charge may be nothing more than a scare tactic, which seems quite possible in this Cohen case. He was probably bluffed into making a guilty plea.

But this is getting into the H_A weeds. My point (and CP's) is that perjury is a rare prosecution. We're both former reporters and witnessed more than our share of prosecutions.
    Both prosecutions for perjury as well as for filing false charges really need to be pursued more.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Both prosecutions for perjury as well as for filing false charges really need to be pursued more.
      In the community where I witnessed it (and perjury was rampant) the obstacle was court time and money. Half of the trials there were concerning inmates at Pelican Bay prison being tried for assault (and such) inside the prison. They lied all the time, the witnesses lied, the victims lied. They had their own sense of prison justice and they had no respect or fear of the courtroom. To prosecute these people for perjury would be a big waste of time and resources. The court would do its best at getting to the facts, and then close the case.

ETA: To illustrate how fearless they were of the court, one inmate stabbed his own attorney with a shank at the table in the courtroom. How he got it in there, no one could figure out. The attorney had some sort of thick notebook in his pocket so he was uninjured, but the attempt was right in his chest. And one of them swung a pen (ballpoint pen) at my back but couldn't reach me because he was tethered to the table.
      Last edited by Ronson; 12-03-2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

In the community where I witnessed it (and perjury was rampant) the obstacle was court time and money. Half of the trials there were concerning inmates at Pelican Bay prison being tried for assault (and such) inside the prison. They lied all the time, the witnesses lied, the victims lied. They had their own sense of prison justice and they had no respect or fear of the courtroom. To prosecute these people for perjury would be a big waste of time and resources. The court would do its best at getting to the facts, and then close the case.

ETA: To illustrate how fearless they were of the court, one inmate stabbed his own attorney with a shank at the table in the courtroom. How he got it in there, no one could figure out. The attorney had some sort of thick notebook in his pocket so he was uninjured, but the attempt was right in his chest. And one of them swung a pen (ballpoint pen) at my back but couldn't reach me because he was tethered to the table.
        I guess they figure they're already in prison, so what else can the legal system to do them?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I guess they figure they're already in prison, so what else can the legal system to do them?
          Exactly.

And to prosecute them for perjury would be a joke. But it was the basic policy for any trial. Perjury could be difficult to prove, take up a lot of time to pursue, and the courts were already backed up with more important cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Moved to a tougher prison. Put into isolation. Loss of various privileges. Have a few more years added on to their sentence.

Allowing them to blatantly lie with no negative consequences isn't the brightest idea.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Moved to a tougher prison. Put into isolation. Loss of various privileges. Have a few more years added on to their sentence.

Allowing them to blatantly lie with no negative consequences isn't the brightest idea.
              In my case, Pelican Bay is a Level 4 prison so there is no place worse to go (if you look up the prison online you'll see it rivals Alcatraz for a bad reputation). A lot of them are gangsters with life sentences and they just don't care. The worst of the worst. Charles Manson spent time there.

I don't believe a municipal judge can sentence a prisoner to isolation or remove their privileges, I think that is up to the prison for misbehavior in prison.

Comment

Even with legal consequences, they'll be a hero to the other prisoners for not "snitching" and won't be marked for a shanking, so they have more reason to lie than to tell the truth.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post

The language in question is referring to opposition groups as "vermin" and promising to "root them out". While Clinton's "Deplorables" comment has some similarity, it was markedly different in both tone and meaning.

Source: Trump calls political enemies ‘vermin,’ echoing dictators Hitler, Mussolini. Marianne LeVine. The Washington Post. 2023.11.13

“We pledge to you that we will root out the communists, Marxists, fascists and the radical left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country that lie and steal and cheat on elections,” Trump said toward the end of his speech, repeating his false claims that the 2020 election was stolen. “They’ll do anything, whether legally or illegally, to destroy America and to destroy the American Dream.”

Ruth Ben-Ghiat, a historian at New York University, said in an email to The Washington Post that “calling people 'vermin’ was used effectively by Hitler and Mussolini to dehumanize people and encourage their followers to engage in violence.”

“Trump is also using projection: note that he mentions all kinds of authoritarians ‘communists, Marxists, fascists and the radical left’ to set himself up as the deliverer of freedom,” Ben-Ghiat said. “Mussolini promised freedom to his people too and then declared dictatorship.”

Steven Cheung, a Trump campaign spokesman, told The Post “those who try to make that ridiculous assertion are clearly snowflakes grasping for anything because they are suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome and their entire existence will be crushed when President Trump returns to the White House.”

© Copyright Original Source

I am unaware of any time Clinton or Biden called for "rooting out the radical thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country that lie and steal and cheat" or anything like it. The only caveat I'd offer is that Trump doesn't have "confines of our country" in his natural cadence so he's reading from a speechwriter's prepared materials. Which, I'd say, is even worse.

-Sam
                  I'll wait for you to condemn the Wapo

rogue06 might enjoy this.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I'll wait for you to condemn the Wapo

rogue06 might enjoy this.
                    JimL will you condemn the Wapo?
                    P1) If , then I win.