Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dashcam recording of Castile's shooting released.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    So violent people of color should be left in the home to commit violence on their families?
    I'm not sure this question is valid. People aren't incarcerated solely for committing violent crimes. The limits for possession with intent to sell are pretty low for a felony with minimum mandatory sentencing, just as one example.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      This is a tempting thought; however, there is a theory out there that the cartels would simply turn to some other illegal and lucrative trade.
      For them the goal isn't the drugs but the money.
      It's also a question of power.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        It's not a theory. They are increasing abductions of young women at the border towns and forcing them into sexual slavery. They are going to get their money, and I would venture to guess that running weed is far less damaging than human trafficking.
        That's not shifting, though. That's expanding. The Mexican cartels have free reign to do what they want. It's no surprise to see them exploit that.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          I'm not sure this question is valid. People aren't incarcerated solely for committing violent crimes. The limits for possession with intent to sell are pretty low for a felony with minimum mandatory sentencing, just as one example.
          I was reacting to this specific comment:
          Originally posted by SL
          I suggest white people in the US should stop choosing to imprison black people at unprecedented rates and then blaming the black people for not being there for their kids.
          I'm good with finding alternatives to imprisonment that work - but it's silly to assume that the rate of incarceration is the problem.

Or that it is a single problem, for that matter.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            only 7 to 10 years for murdering someone? That's insane. and unjust. You took someone's entire life and affected everyone's life who that person knew. You took them away from friends and family and children. Heck you prevented them from having children. And you only get 7 years?

At this point your outrage at the USA's handling of crime is dismissed as idiotic rantings.
            Please break this down. At what magic number is justice served? I'd suggest that the real insanity is in thinking there is one, let alone trying to determine it.

(Let's not neglect, either, where you insert all this stuff about the victim's life.)
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I was reacting to this specific comment:

I'm good with finding alternatives to imprisonment that work - but it's silly to assume that the rate of incarceration is the problem.

Or that it is a single problem, for that matter.
              I know you were. My point is that you equated incarceration with violent crime. That doesn't hold up against reality.

I don't think rate of incarceration is the sole problem, but it's part of it. The rate is affected in turn by what crimes we incarcerate for.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I know you were. My point is that you equated incarceration with violent crime. That doesn't hold up against reality.

I don't think rate of incarceration is the sole problem, but it's part of it. The rate is affected in turn by what crimes we incarcerate for.
                No, I didn't assume all incarcerations were for violent crime - but if we assume as SL does that the rate itself is at fault, then we end up with the other extreme - which was my point.

Rate alone only tells us that there may be an issue - it doesn't tell us much about what the issues really are. We need to know that before we re-do sentencing - or we just jump on the other end of the teeter-totter and the whole cycle repeats.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Please break this down. At what magic number is justice served? I'd suggest that the real insanity is in thinking there is one, let alone trying to determine it.

(Let's not neglect, either, where you insert all this stuff about the victim's life.)
                  I think if you kill someone in 1st degree murder (premeditated) then you should spend your entire natural life in prison. 2nd degree murder (willful but not premeditated) should get similar. Accidental homocide (reckless) should get life but with possibility of parole.

Comment