Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UNFCCC Accord de Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    "To punish Trump, I will remove myself from a position of influence over him" ~ Wile E. Musk
    "I will not lend my good reputation to this disfunctional administration." Musk

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      I just ran the numbers: Since 2000, 0.00037% of France's population were killed in terrorist attacks. France lost 60 times as many people in 2003 alone due to a heatwave. Keep things in perspective please - terrorism is simply not a serious international problem - tripping over household furniture kills more people in Western countries than terrorists do. And if climate change causes more heatwaves, which it is forecast to do, the death toll could be pretty high.
      Meh Gerbil needs to keep things in perspective. Terrorist attacks in France are minuscule (as your figures confirm) compared to gun violence in the USA. Americans are 10 times more likely to be killed by guns than people in other developed countries a new study finds and this includes France.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-...her-countries/
      Last edited by Tassman; 06-02-2017, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
        Over the past 10 years police officers killed about 3,000 black men.
        That represents 0.00008% of the black population.

I'll use your 'it doesn't matter number' of 0.00037% as the baseline and hereby declare that since 0.00008% is significantly less that there is, in fact, no problem with law enforcement in the USA.

Thanks for the benchmark.
        I'll let the BLM people know that Starlight of New Zealand considers the 0.00008% unimportant.
        3000 out of 38000000, is 0.008%, you forgot to convert to percentages. Your sympathy is underwhelming.

The odds you gave were roughly the odds for a US Citizen being killed by a foreign born terrorist. (actually its even more unlikely to be killed by a foreign born terrorist, but I'm ball parking it for your benefit). So if you think we should care about terrorist threats on American lives, you should also care about whether police have an institutionalized racial bias against black people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          3000 out of 38000000, is 0.008%, you forgot to convert to percentages. Your sympathy is underwhelming.

The odds you gave were roughly the odds for a US Citizen being killed by a foreign born terrorist. (actually its even more unlikely to be killed by a foreign born terrorist, but I'm ball parking it for your benefit). So if you think we should care about terrorist threats on American lives, you should also care about whether police have an institutionalized racial bias against black people.
          Thanks for ruining the world with math.

Given that of the 0.008% the majority of those were in the process of committing a crime and that of the 0.00037% of the French most of them were people minding their own business I'm pretty sure it could still be established that one is more likely to be blown up by a terrorist while minding one's own business than shot by a cop for minding one's own business. The 0.00037% are attacks against people shopping whereas the 0.008% contains some innocents, but mostly people fighting with the police.

Of those killed by police how many were justifiable deaths compared to justifiable deaths of French people at the hands of terrorists?

Thanks for the correction on the math error but you still have the same problem.
          A law abiding French person is more likely die to a terrorist than a black man minding his own business is likely to be shot by the police.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

However the problematic interactions between black people and police extend to far more than just being killed by them.
            So to save your ridiculous theory we have to extend out into other forms of racism?
            Okay, let's extend 'deaths by terrorism' to 'rapes by illegals' and 'crimes by illegals'.

Sheesh.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              So if you think we should care about terrorist threats on American lives, you should also care about whether police have an institutionalized racial bias against black people.
              But there isn't institutionalized racial bias against black people by the police, it is just that blacks have the highest violent crime rates by percentage. Therefore more exposure to law enforcement.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Comment

• That may be part of it.
                  For my part I'm repulsed by naked power grabs.

Comment

• FF, we don't have to be a part of these international accords that bilk our tax payers to lower our carbon foot print. Something we have been doing. I believe we are now at 1992 levels, which is an over all decrease of 18%. I mean just look at the evil backward state of Texas, that have more wind farms that any other state - three times more than the nearest state. We don't need bureaucrats in The Hague telling us how to live our lives.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Please provide an example of where I can be considered a "climate change denier." I have been staunchly neutral in that debate viewing both sides skeptically.
                      As far as I'm concerned if you are neutral on climate change at this point in time, then you're a denier.
                      What is stupid is your view that the rich don't care about things like breathing polluted air or drinking tainted water and the like.
                      Yeah, that would be stupid, but I never said that. You're only fooling yourself when you purposely misrepresent what I said.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        As far as I'm concerned if you are neutral on climate change at this point in time, then you're a denier.
                        so when were you appointed as the Climate Change judge? Did I miss that vote?

Comment

• I see Starlight gone even more crazy!!!

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                          Given that polling shows and "nearly nine in 10 people say they are ready to make changes to their standard of living if it would prevent future climate catastrophe", there would probably be widespread support for levying economic sanctions on non-participating countries. Even if world governments weren't willing to officially enact such policies, a grassroots boycott-divest-and-sanction (BDS) movement targeting the US could potentially cripple their economy and force participation.

Economic war with US?? Pretty sure >99.999% of people worldwide not wanting to cripple own economy at same time, you nutcase!!!

If and when the US withdraws from the Paris agreement, I will personally contact the environmental groups I know and encourage them to start a BDS movement, and write to my political parties (something I have never done before) and encourage them to openly condemn and propose sanctions on the US over this issue. You can bet that if it makes me get active in politics to a level I never have before, it will make others around the world do the same.
                          crazy-prog-you are nowhere like average person on this earth!!!

With Mr Dementia-in-Chief having withdrawn the US from the Paris accords...

- I have begun promoting a movement to boycott, divest and sanction (BDS) the US, and have posted it in 4 locations on facebook, and am currently thinking about which politicians and newspapers it is best to write to on the subject.
                          Please keep us updated!! Can use good hoots!!!
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            I figured as much.
                            Yeah, that would be stupid, but I never said that. You're only fooling yourself when you purposely misrepresent what I said.
                            You didn't have to say it - it's a logical consequence of what you said.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Keep things in perspective please - terrorism is simply not a serious international problem - tripping over household furniture kills more people in Western countries than terrorists do.

Without any border security, also lots of other security arrangements, terrorists (ISIS, Al-Qaeda etc etc) already would have killed hundreds on hundreds of thousands in West.

This is typical progtard insanity, 'few deaths by terrorism so no need to do anything about it!!!' You moron, it's because governments do things about it which is why relative few deaths!!
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Apparently the new president of France, Emmanuel Macron, is extending an offer of sanctuary to all of the climate scientists that he envisions are now fleeing from the U.S.

It's just these sort of hysterics that makes it hard to take these guys seriously.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment