Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Disney Suing DeSantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney Suing DeSantis

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-sues-ron-desantis-over-155957477.html

"A targeted campaign of government retaliation — orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney’s protected speech — now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights," Disney said in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.

© Copyright Original Source

Honestly? I hope Florida loses this one. They SHOULD lose this one. DeSantis and Florida taking negative government action in retaliation for speech is a violation of the 1st Amendment. I said it when this first started: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...ey-free-speech

It doesn't matter that Florida was revoking a "privilege". It was the fact that the negative action was taken DUE TO the speech.

This doesn't mean that Disney's actions have been rosy during this time. The self-dealing of the oversight board might end up causing a legitimate reason to dissolve the district anyways.

I am a bit on the fence with this one. They are receiving a benefit that other companies do not, so that's not fair to begin with. The reason they got that benefit is because they employ a lot of people and bring in a lot of tourism. So it's a "you scratch my back and I will scratch yours" type of deal. If Disney turns against the hand that feeds it, why shouldn't they lose their benefit?

On the other hand, you are right it does feel like they are being punished for their free speech.

On the third hand (!) the constitution protects free speech of individual citizens, not corporations, per se.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I am a bit on the fence with this one. They are receiving a benefit that other companies do not, so that's not fair to begin with. The reason they got that benefit is because they employ a lot of people and bring in a lot of tourism. So it's a "you scratch my back and I will scratch yours" type of deal. If Disney turns against the hand that feeds it, why shouldn't they lose their benefit?

On the other hand, you are right it does feel like they are being punished for their free speech.

On the third hand (!) the constitution protects free speech of individual citizens, not corporations, per se.
      Disney couldn't be allowed to remain a separate political entity within the state. That said, everything about this stinks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Whether or not Disney was receiving a special privilege is irrelevant, because DeSantis made it clear that he was using the power of the state government to punish Disney for something they said.

And the idea that corporations do not have a right to protected speech doesn't really work, because corporations are made up of people, and those people have protected rights. It's unconstitutional to say that those people should be denied their rights just because they're part of a corporation.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-26-2023, 03:29 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

"A targeted campaign of government retaliation — orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney’s protected speech — now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights," Disney said in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.

Honestly? I hope Florida loses this one. They SHOULD lose this one. DeSantis and Florida taking negative government action in retaliation for speech is a violation of the 1st Amendment. I said it when this first started: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...ey-free-speech

It doesn't matter that Florida was revoking a "privilege". It was the fact that the negative action was taken DUE TO the speech.

This doesn't mean that Disney's actions have been rosy during this time. The self-dealing of the oversight board might end up causing a legitimate reason to dissolve the district anyways.
          I've come to the conclusion that DeSantis isn't terribly bright. He's not an idiot, but he can be a bit reckless and I wouldn't want someone reckless to be POTUS.

Comment

It's fairly simple. It's entirely a fair question to ask if Disney should have that privilege.
            However, revoking it in retaliation of speech is the problem. Plus DeSantis and the GOP have made it crystal clear that the actions are in retaliation for speech.

It's like firing someone in an at-will state. You can revoke it for any reason you want, unless it's for race, religion, etc.

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/22/desantis-disney-special-status-dont-say-gay-00027302

DeSantis made clear Friday that the moves, targeting Disney’s self-governing status and a special carve-out in another law, were retribution for the company fighting against Florida’s recently enacted “Parental Rights in Education” bill, branded as “Don’t Say Gay” by opponents.

He specifically took aim at Disney pushing to repeal the law.

“You’re a corporation based in Burbank, California, and you’re going to martial your economic might to attack the parents of my state? We view that as a provocation, and we’re going to fight back against that,” DeSantis said during an event at a Hialeah Gardens charter school.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Whether or not Disney was receiving a special privilege is irrelevant, because DeSantis made it clear that he was using the power of the state government to punish Disney for something they said.

It was more than that. They used corporate dollars to say it. That removes it from being individual free speech and becomes a company leveraging its special power to make or move state policy.

And the idea that corporations do not have a right to protected speech doesn't really work, because corporations are made up of people, and those people have protected rights. It's unconstitutional to say that those people should be denied their rights just because they're part of a corporation.
              No one is denying the individuals their rights. What is being rebuffed is a company putting company dollars toward forming or moving policy.

That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

It was more than that. They used corporate dollars to say it. That removes it from being individual free speech and becomes a company leveraging its special power to make or move state policy.

No one is denying the individuals their rights. What is being rebuffed is a company putting company dollars toward forming or moving policy.
                Liberals made that complaint WRT to Citizens United.

Of course, this would also mean that those cities that retaliate against Chick Fil A over their donations are completely on the right side of the law.

Comment

Yep it's a disturbing prescedent of attacking free speech by the government.

I figured they'd sue him at some point here. looks like they waited and gave him and a number of his officials and legislative allies plenty of rope to hang themselves with by letting them make months of very clear statements confirming this was punishment for free speech and deliberately targeted..

Comment

Are companies (which are nothing more than a group of individuals) not allowed to use their own money as they see fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I've come to the conclusion that DeSantis isn't terribly bright. He's not an idiot, but he can be a bit reckless and I wouldn't want someone reckless to be POTUS.
                      He's not his own man. He's just doing whatever Karl Rove and the Bushes tell him to do. And I knew he was a bit of a weasel when in a debate, his opponent asked him if he would promise voters that if reelected as governor, he would serve all four years and not seek the presidency. DeSantis refused to even acknowledge the question and just stood there grinning at the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Are companies (which are nothing more than a group of individuals) not allowed to use their own money as they see fit?
                        Sure, but it isn't protected speech at that point.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Liberals made that complaint WRT to Citizens United.

Of course, this would also mean that those cities that retaliate against Chick Fil A over their donations are completely on the right side of the law.
                          What special privileges does Chick-fil-A have from the government?
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What special privileges does Chick-fil-A have from the government?
                            In at least one case they had a premier spot within the city airport, and the government was taking action to remove them, IIRC, due to their political positions wrt gay marriage, etc..

But the point is not really special privileges, it is the government taking punitive action toward a business for their free speech. Be that removal of supposed special privileges or removal of permits, etc., in retaliation for the speech exercised by that business or its owners.

Comment

Sure, but it isn't protected speech at that point.
                              Not according to Citizens United.

Comment