Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obamagate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Two points:
    1) the phone lines exit the embassy somewhere.
    2) when did embassies being nominally foreign territory ever stop US agencies from bugging them?
    1) The FBI still can't tap the lines legally. Besides all of the lines are probably encrypted. The CIA/NSA might legally be able to tap them, but not the FBI.

2) I said the FBI, not the other agencies. The FBI's jurisdiction is domestic only. Just like the CIA can't operate domestically (legally anyway) and can only operate on foreign soil. The NSA, I think, can do whatever they want wherever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Just like the CIA can't operate domestically (legally anyway)...
      According to the latest from WikiLeaks, that apparently went out the window some time during Obama's watch.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The NSA, I think, can do whatever they want wherever they want.
        No, the NSA can't collect against domestic assets. They have way more than enough to do collecting against foreign assets anyway.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          No, the NSA can't collect against domestic assets. They have way more than enough to do collecting against foreign assets anyway.
          Isn't the NSA the one who supposedly records every phone call made anywhere? Domestic and foreign. https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying/how-it-works

Comment

Isn't the NSA the one who supposedly records every phone call made anywhere? Domestic and foreign. https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying/how-it-works
            Hrm. I guess I wouldn't be surprised by G.W.B. doing that. Before him, at least, when I was still involved in intelligence, the NSA didn't do that. Even with this kind of collection, though, the amount collected on any given individual is very limited.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              The goal of winning an election is so you can crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
              This is good!

Comment

Hrm. I guess I wouldn't be surprised by G.W.B. doing that. Before him, at least, when I was still involved in intelligence, the NSA didn't do that. Even with this kind of collection, though, the amount collected on any given individual is very limited.
                I hope they do record everything. That way you get lost in the crowd (noise). Can you imagine trying to comb through all that information?

Basically the way I understand it, the NSA are the information guys. Signal Intelligence. They do data gathering for the other agencies and themselves. They are the real "hackers" of the government. and they do it globally, including domestically. They are "big brother"

Comment

Can you imagine trying to comb through all that information?
                  That is the NSA's biggest problem. They have to rely on things like key word searches to narrow things down. Much of the data they collect is never touched at all. It's not remotely possible for them to fully review all the stuff they collect.

Basically the way I understand it, the NSA are the information guys. Signal Intelligence. They do data gathering for the other agencies and themselves. They are the real "hackers" of the government. and they do it globally, including domestically. They are "big brother"
                  Yes. But see the problem above. They have a limited staff and mountains of data.

Comment

Read my post Tassy. I said "If the story is true at all" - and no Trump is not lying. He is simply stating what he believes.
                    If his information is from a fake new story, then it is the newspaper that is lying.
                    Not Trump. He would just be gullible.
                    Like you are most of the time when you repeat fake news. That is certainly embarrassing for you,
                    but luckily your intelligence is low enough that you don't seem to notice.
                    Oh please! Reduced to gratuitous insults are we?

Comment

False. This "crazy nonsense" originated in the pages of The New York Times (and a few other publications), but since it seems nobody reads the Times anymore, it wasn't until a more credible and widely read publication like Breitbart took up the story that people started talking about it. Of course the Times' first move was to throw themselves under the bus and question their own reporting on which Breitbart's investigative journalism was based.

Comment

weird that if virtually everyone thinks he is a liar and delusional that he got elected so easily. eh?

TNo they got it from the NYT apparently. Not Bannon. Don't you think if Bannon knew he would have just told Trump directly? Or maybe Trump found out from his anonymous government sources? You know, the ones who keep getting quoted by the MSM whenever they want to publish a story without any evidence?

Probably not. If Trump is reacting to a newspaper article only, that would be pretty dumb. Almost Tassman dumb.

ROFL! Yes Tassman, you do believe Fake News is "investigative journalism" - because of your gullibility.

Oh please! Reduced to gratuitous insults are we?
                        Not gratuitous at all, Tassman. Well deserved, and fully earned in your case.

Comment

weird that if virtually everyone thinks he is a liar and delusional that he got elected so easily. eh?
                          Well, remember the alternative...

Comment

Well, remember the alternative...
                            Also, if just 1% had swapped from Trump to Hillary in Pennsylvania and Florida, Hillary would have won. Let's not act like this was some kind of landslide victory for Trump.

Comment

TNo they got it from the NYT apparently. Not Bannon. Don't you think if Bannon knew he would have just told Trump directly? Or maybe Trump found out from his anonymous government sources? You know, the ones who keep getting quoted by the MSM whenever they want to publish a story without any evidence?
                              It seems that the idea was first put forward by right-wing radio host Mark Levin and was picked up by Breitbart columnist Joel Pollak...which is probably where Trump first encountered it and launched into his insane early morning tweeting.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/medi...t-trump-obama/

Probably not. If Trump is reacting to a newspaper article only, that would be pretty dumb.
                              https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...of-impeachment.

No one, from the vice president down seems to think the allegations are true. And FBI director Comey asked justice department to reject trump's wiretap claims altogether.

Comment

So you're just going to ignore the fact that The New York Times took it as a given that the Obama administration had wiretapped Trump's phones? You keep banging on about Breitbart when it was the Times who broke the story several months ago.

And with the latest revelations from WikiLeaks detailing the extent of the Obama administration's surveillance programs, the President's accusation doesn't look so dumb after all.

Comment