Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What Would The Atheist Rather See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    We've been told what qualities to emulate.
    Murder of ideological opponents didn't make the list.
    Killing existential threats is not murder. And I don't remember Christ touching upon this issue at all.

I'm not aware of that order being presented in Scripture and I'd be grateful for a citation.
    Mark 12:28
    So here we have the top two:
    First comes Love the Lord your God.
    Then comes "Love your neighbor as yourself".

From this it follows naturally that "love your enemy" is superseded by these two should they come into conflict.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Won't happen. If you are an atheist you have to admit that the evolutionary process created us to believe in god or gods, to believe in the supernatural. If not the Abrahamic religions it will be something else. We are hardwired for faith.
      Faithfulness is a low energy, primitive, lowest common denominator, lazy thinking way of being from which we are gradually separating by use of higher reasoning. The fact that it is obviously hazardous means that we will discover ways to turn it off simply as a matter of health and safety. Religious rhetoric will be modified to mitigate the threat and the relatively inert substance remaining will have greatly reduced toxicity and virulence, eventually leading to eradication.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Faithfulness is a low energy, primitive, lowest common denominator, lazy thinking way of being from which we are gradually separating by use of higher reasoning. The fact that it is obviously hazardous means that we will discover ways to turn it off simply as a matter of health and safety. Religious rhetoric will be modified to mitigate the threat and the relatively inert substance remaining will have greatly reduced toxicity and virulence, eventually leading to eradication.
        Where did you cut and paste that from?
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          Where did you cut and paste that from?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            From this it follows naturally that "love your enemy" is superseded by these two should they come into conflict.
            But who is my neighbor?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              But who is my neighbor?
              According to the parable of the Samaritan, those who are good to you.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                But who is my neighbor?
                Source: Social-science Commentary on the Synoptic Gospels by Bruce J. Malina, Richard L. Rohrbaugh

Matthew 5:44 The feuding quality of Mediterranean society assures most adult males and their families of a good number of "enemies." To a peasant, enemies are all those who try to get what is rightfully his. They are those who destroy his honor, take his land, undermine his family, and threaten his women. It would have made little difference to the peasants of Jesus' day whether the ones doing this were Romans, the Jerusalem establishment, or dangerous neighbors.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

I'm not technically an atheist, but as a non-practitioner of an Abrahamic faith I think I can still answer the question. It depends on how much freedom of religion there is more than anything. Today non-Christians living in predominantly Christian countries tend to have more religious freedom than non-Muslims living in predominantly Muslim countries, so I'd probably go with a world largely populated by Christians. As Boxing Pythagoras said, the question is oversimplified, and so I'm just going with an on average answer.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  No matter what country you are in, the world hates Christians because it hates Christ.

We will always be more hated than anybody because of Jesus.
                  Muslims and Jews have been hated by a lot of people, too. And IIRC there have been times of persecution against Buddhists and Taoists in China as well.
                  Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment