Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

more liberal white privilege nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    That's downright egalitarian compared to general admission practices.

I thought different standards for different races was 'racist'?
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
      This is all total nonsense. White privilege doesn't entail no other group of people could have any advantages in certain areas. Nor does it entail no white person could be stopped in a store and suspected of potentially being a thief. This is hilariously absurd as a rejection of white privilege. Seriously, ask yourself how this could possibly be an argument against white privilege.

A white person is less likely to be suspected of stealing than a black person - all other things being equal. That's white privilege. That doesn't mean no white person will ever be suspected of stealing.

A white person is less likely to be assumed to be a foreigner or an illegal or not loyal to the US than a person whose ancestors are from Latin America or Asia. That's white privilege. That doesn't entail no white person could ever be assumed to be a foreigner or an illegal. There are thousands of Irish people in the US illegally who over stay their visas. But at first glance you would never suspect them of being here illegally. They just look like regular white Americans.

A white person is less likely to be assumed to be carrying drugs on them and stopped and frisked merely because of that - which is technically a violation of the Constitution. That's white privilege. That doesn't mean no white person could ever be assumed to be carrying drugs on them and stopped and frisked merely because of that.

Those are just a few examples.

And lastly, claiming we're all privileged technically negates your claim that white people don't have privilege for being white. If beautiful people are privileged for being beautiful - and you acknowledge that, then it entails white people are privileged because they're white. You've defeated yourself.

And whether or not someone complains about it is irrelevant to whether white privilege exists.
      So if whites have some privileges then what should or can they do about it? Feel bad? If pretty people have privs should the nake themselves ugly?
      Should whites stop being white?

What is the point pointing out something that nobody can do anything about? And why should they do anything about it?
      Last edited by Sparko; 03-03-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

It is just a way to call whites racist even when they aren't

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Then what good is it? I want my white privilege dues refunded!
          Well, it means you don't have to worry about things many non-white people deal with. Rejoice!
          Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

White privilege doesn't entail anything whatsoever. It has no coherent meaning, it's based on nothing remotely resembling reality and it was never meant to be anything other than a polite way of saying "kill whitey" invented by white liberals because they couldn't explain why so many blacks and hispanics are failing despite the de facto absence of racism from western institutions.
            This is the stupidest think you've said all day!

Did they accept your job request at Brietbart?

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
              It is, that's why anti-rayciss'm is out and white privilege is in. The whole point of the whole schtick was to bash white people. You can't do that using statistics, which show the opposite, so the left now pivoted to white privilege, microaggressions, etc. See thinker's post above. There's nothing stupid about my post, it's all mainstream data easily accessible to anyone with a browser and an internet connection, but progressives do a fantastic job of keeping this kind of information out of the public discourse.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                So if whites have some privileges then what should or can they do about it? Feel bad? If pretty people have privs should the nake themselves ugly?
                Should whites stop being white?

What is the point pointing out something that nobody can do anything about? And why should they do anything about it?
                I'm not saying anything of the sort. Don't mistake the absurd claims that some liberals make about what we should do about white privilege with the idea that there is no white privilege whatsoever. Some liberals absolutely say completely retarded things about white privilege that no rational person should accept, but that doesn't mean there is no white privilege. Just like atheists shouldn't reject the notion of god because of the absurd claims made by Christian flat-earthers and young earth creationists.

We can do something, in the same way men can be more understanding of the plight many women have to deal with to know how to better sympathize with them, or change their behavior. One example could be to acknowledge that our justice system is often biased against black people, who are on average given longer sentences for the same crimes committed by white people. That can be changed by people in the system to ensure there's more equality.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                  One example could be to acknowledge that our justice system is often biased against black people, who are on average given longer sentences for the same crimes committed by white people.
                  Another statistic used to mislead. In reality black people receive longer sentences because they are more likely to be sentenced by black people, who GIVE much longer sentences. That's the reason for the disparity. Both whites and blacks give longer sentences to whites, the disparity is from the fact that most whites judge and sentence other whites and most blacks judge and sentence other blacks.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Another statistic used to mislead. In reality black people receive longer sentences because they are more likely to be sentenced by black people, who GIVE much longer sentences. That's the reason for the disparity. Both whites and blacks give longer sentences to whites, the disparity is from the fact that most whites judge and sentence other whites and most blacks judge and sentence other blacks.
                    What do you think the reason for this is? Is it because they are black?!?!?!?!!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                      Do you believe this is because they are black or because there is a history of 'white privilege' that leads to increased poverty, family break down and other issues of 'white privilege' crippling black family,and culture in history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Prove all this with statistical evidence. I've found nothing to back this up.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                          Prove all this with statistical evidence. I've found nothing to back this up.
                          "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." ~ Christopher Hitchens

You made the original, slanderous accusation that the justice system is biased against black people. You demonstrate it first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." ~ Christopher Hitchens

You made the original, slanderous accusation that the justice system is biased against black people. You demonstrate it first.
                            That's easy:

https://thinkprogress.org/study-blac...377#.lz3fi6gyd

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswit...ino-defendants

https://www.aclu.org/other/race-and-death-penalty

This is well known factual evidence, that you of course must deny in order to maintain your conservative outlook.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              What do you think the reason for this is? Is it because they are black?!?!?!?!!?
                              What does that even mean? "because they are black"? Are you asking if blacks have a genetic predisposition for giving harsh sentences? I dunno but considering how lawless many black countries are and how white people used to execute kids for stealing I'm guessing "no". More likely blacks are more familiar with black crime, are not cowed by anti-raycissm like a white judge would be and the type of blacks who make it to judge, being familiar with their own communities, are far more likely to want to crack down on crime than a white judge in a comparable position.

edit: I should add that from what I remember the difference was quite small. indeed, even the most liberal of studies don't show much of a disparity after adjusting for other variables in the first place, so the entire topic requires liberals to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
                              Last edited by Darth Executor; 03-06-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                                That's easy:

https://thinkprogress.org/study-blac...377#.lz3fi6gyd

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswit...ino-defendants

https://www.aclu.org/other/race-and-death-penalty

This is well known factual evidence, that you of course must deny in order to maintain your conservative outlook.
                                None of those are evidence for what I asked. I asked for evidence of bias, not disparity. Do you understand the difference?

For example, from one of the studies referenced (found here https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....t_id=1800840):

One important limitation of our work is that while we show that
                                race appears to play a role in judicial decision making, we cannot make
                                statements about its optimality. That is, we can say that judges vary in
                                their treatment of race but not whether this is evidence of discrimination
                                or reverse discrimination. It is theoretically possible that the heterogeneity
                                in the racial gap in incarceration reflects favoritism by some judges
                                toward African American defendants. For example, suppose that unobservable
                                case characteristics dictated that an unbiased racial gap in sentencing
                                would be 50 percent. In this case, heterogeneity in the race gap
                                between 20 and 50 percent would indicate a great deal of favoritism
                                toward African Americans, not discrimination.
                                In future work, information
                                on interjudge differences in the racial gap in recidivism may
                                further guide the interpretation of our findings. In particular, one may
                                relate the variation we observe in the racial gap in sentencing to the
                                variation in the racial gap in recidivism. In addition, information on the
                                success rate of appeals may provide another method of evaluating the
                                optimality of the racial gap. The theoretical ideal would be to evaluate
                                a social welfare function with terms that include both recidivism and
                                appeals and all other relevant factors.
                                And here's how thinkprogress, the garbage web site you actually linked to, characterizes the study:

Jim Crow! Slavery! Bla bla bla. Pure unadultered deception.
                                Last edited by Darth Executor; 03-06-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment