Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

more liberal white privilege nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
    More closer to home, some men/boys actually need to be taught that women are not obligated to have sex with them if they're nice to them.
    We use to teach men/boys that you don't endanger the welfare of a woman via sex until you're capable of providing for her needs.
    We threw that out because it is 'sexist'.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      The thing that really bothers me about this thread is the typo in the title.
      What typo?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        It is unfortunate that because of the superficial nature of this thread it fails to address the real issues of 'white privilege' in the history of the USA and today. There is a more than 200 years of history behind this. Our past leads to the present and will not conveniently go away. White privilege begins with slavery, which persisted in various forms such penal servitude up into the 20th century to a feudal restrictive system of labor and segregation. The bloody riots and brutal racial suppression and oppression after WWI in cities like Chicago and Wilmington, NC crippled the middle class in these and other cities which they never recovered. Discrimination in severely limiting the access of blacks to government housing loans, and farm loans, over half of the black farms in this country were lost, post World War II further disadvantaged blacks, and amplified white privilege. White privilege continues up to today in Law enforcement and many other aspects of our society.
        I don't need to read most of this nonsense to know that you should be stripped of all your wealth and taxed to the bone for the rest of your life.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Where is that barf smiley?
          In your lap.

I hope you feel a lot of white guilt Shuny. I hope it keeps you up at night and you give half of your income to some black charity to repay your part in slavery, and holding back the black man.
          Slavery was only the beginning . . . no issue of guilt, but there is a significant issue of denial on your part and many others.

Comment

In your lap.

Slavery was only the beginning . . . no issue of guilt, but there is a significant issue of denial on your part and many others.
            Denial of what? I never had slaves. And no black today ever was a slave. What do I have to feel guilty about. Do you feel guilty for everything your ancestors might have done? As far as I know my ancestors were from Germany. Did Germans keep black slaves? No? then why should I have guilt over what some whites in South Carolina did 150 years ago? Maybe I should have guilt because some Germans were Nazis, even though my grandfather was forced into the German army in WW2 and his family threatened? Even though he never harmed a single Jew, and spent most of the war as a prisoner in a New Jersey POW camp?

Should the blacks feel guilt because their own people sold them to the whites as slaves? Do they have "black privilege" because they obviously excel at sports like basketball, baseball, football, track and field, etc.

What kind of privileges did being white get me? I had to actually work harder to get a job because of affirmative action. I grew up in a military family to a dad who was an enlisted man. We never had money. My mom didn't work. We had to move every few years so I never had friends or any status in school, I was always the new kid. I was overweight and picked on. Probably a lot more than any black kid was. In the military nobody notices race. At least not when I was growing up on military bases. Lots of whites, blacks, browns, asians, etc. My best friend was a mexican kid. So exactly what did being white get me?

White Privilege is just a term liberals made up so they can try to make white people feel guilty for something they can't change. Usually so they can "get something" out of it. whether it is just "feeling good" for pointing out that white people are white, or because they expect white people to give them free stuff or repay black people for things they never did.
            Last edited by Sparko; 03-03-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

When a person uses the term 'white privilege' in a non-ironic way is like a tattoo of the word 'simpleton' on that person's forehead.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                When a person uses the term 'white privilege' in a non-ironic way is like a tattoo of the word 'simpleton' on that person's forehead.
                seems like the only "privilege" you get from it is being told you are a racist and you owe minorities all this stuff. yay.

Comment

Denial of what? I never had slaves. And no black today ever was a slave. What do I have to feel guilty about.
                  My ancestors were either still in Europe, in countries never involved in the African slave trade, or were in the Union Army where they paid with their blood and in at least one instance their life. My mother and father were the first one's to move south of the Mason-Dixon line and that wasn't until a century after the Civil War (or War Between the States because technically it wasn't a civil war). And yet I'm supposed to owe some sort of reparations for slavery. News flash: any debt was paid with the lives of over 350,000 men who died freeing the slaves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

White Privilege is just a term liberals made up so they can try to make white people feel guilty for something they can't change. Usually so they can "get something" out of it. whether it is just "feeling good" for pointing out that white people are white, or because they expect white people to give them free stuff or repay black people for things they never did.
                    The answer is no, you don't have to feel guilty for what your ancestors did. But to deny that there are privileges white people enjoy that non-whites do not get, is to be blind to how American culture has operated throughout all of its history, including today. You don't have to deal with the negative stereotypes that many non-whites have to deal with. You're assumed to be an American citizen just by being white, whereas someone of Mexican decent born here who speaks perfect English is assumed by many to be an immigrant just by his or her looks or name. The justice system is not as rigged against whites as it is for blacks. White people do drugs at the same rate as blacks but whites are arrested at far fewer numbers. If white kids were arrested at the same rates black kids were for mere drug possession and given the same length of prison sentences there would be a national outcry over it. When it happens to millions of black people, most people barely even notice. You may not notice white privilege because you're the recipient of it. Just like how men rarely notice sexism as much as women because it's women who are usually the victims of it.

This is not to deny that some liberals exaggerate the effects white privilege and come to stupid conclusions based on that. Of course they do. But that doesn't mean that white privilege doesn't exist at all.
                    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                      We use to teach men/boys that you don't endanger the welfare of a woman via sex until you're capable of providing for her needs.
                      We threw that out because it is 'sexist'.
                      Right, I grew up in an ethnic Italian, Catholic family and neighborhood, in the 50s and 60s. We were taught that you never hit woman (I found out the hard way when I smacked my cousin), always hold her door or carry her groceries. You never take sexual advantage and you never used bad language in front of them. But we were the sexist Neanderthals.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Denial of what? I never had slaves. And no black today ever was a slave. What do I have to feel guilty about. Do you feel guilty for everything your ancestors might have done? As far as I know my ancestors were from Germany. Did Germans keep black slaves? No? then why should I have guilt over what some whites in South Carolina did 150 years ago? Maybe I should have guilt because some Germans were Nazis, even though my grandfather was forced into the German army in WW2 and his family threatened? Even though he never harmed a single Jew, and spent most of the war as a prisoner in a New Jersey POW camp?

Should the blacks feel guilt because their own people sold them to the whites as slaves? Do they have "black privilege" because they obviously excel at sports like basketball, baseball, football, track and field, etc.

What kind of privileges did being white get me? I had to actually work harder to get a job because of affirmative action. I grew up in a military family to a dad who was an enlisted man. We never had money. My mom didn't work. We had to move every few years so I never had friends or any status in school, I was always the new kid. I was overweight and picked on. Probably a lot more than any black kid was. In the military nobody notices race. At least not when I was growing up on military bases. Lots of whites, blacks, browns, asians, etc. My best friend was a mexican kid. So exactly what did being white get me?

Slavery is a part of our history and not an issue today, but it left a trail of persecution, discrimination and violence. No guilt necessary for any reason under the sun, unless you are personally responsible, which I doubt unless, of course, you believe in the inherited guilt of your ancestors in Christian Theology.

Comment

The answer is no, you don't have to feel guilty for what your ancestors did. But to deny that there are privileges white people enjoy that non-whites do not get, is to be blind to how American culture has operated throughout all of its history, including today. You don't have to deal with the negative stereotypes that many non-whites have to deal with. You're assumed to be an American citizen just by being white, whereas someone of Mexican decent born here who speaks perfect English is assumed by many to be an immigrant just by his or her looks or name. The justice system is not as rigged against whites as it is for blacks. White people do drugs at the same rate as blacks but whites are arrested at far fewer numbers. If white kids were arrested at the same rates black kids were for mere drug possession and given the same length of prison sentences there would be a national outcry over it. When it happens to millions of black people, most people barely even notice. You may not notice white privilege because you're the recipient of it. Just like how men rarely notice sexism as much as women because it's women who are usually the victims of it.

This is not to deny that some liberals exaggerate the effects white privilege and come to stupid conclusions based on that. Of course they do. But that doesn't mean that white privilege doesn't exist at all.
                          I heard a very interesting suggestion where these things weren't the result of 'White Privilege' as much as the result of culture.

The culture in which I was raised taught me to respect cops, comply with orders, and to not act in a threatening way while in the presence of authority figures who are armed. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out that I've a significantly less chance of having a problem with a cop because of the way I was raised to respond to a cop. However, if I was taught that all cops are 'the man' and they're all pigs just holding me down then I'm much more likely to have a very big problem during a traffic stop.

If this country is built on white privilege then how can an Asian family who barely speaks English come over here, start a business, and build it up to something huge in a single generation?
                          Yes, racism exists but I think we've entered the age where culture is a bigger factor.

Comment

Thats a bunch of nonsense, Thinker. EVERY group has some privileges and disadvantages. That is just normal. Yes, I can walk in to a store and not be stared at by security, maybe because I am white or maybe because I don't look shady or homeless. I take it back, once in the mall I was waiting on a friend and standing around. I guess I looked suspicious because when we walked out of the store, I was stopped by security and asked if I took anything. I showed them I did not and did not take any offense.

But you know, I have disadvantages too. I am old. I am overweight. Been fat all my life. Been teased for it, beat up, looked down upon, not promoted, not hired in the first place, all because I was fat. Do I complain about "skinny people privilege" and expect them to feel guilty and repay me? No. And what about "pretty" people. They pretty much can waltz around and get anything they want. Men and women, of any race. So should us average people demand pretty people feel guilty and repay us for their privs?

And what about sports? as I said earlier, blacks dominate the sports world. Being black is a benefit for getting into basketball or football. And it is well earned. They are better athletes than most whites. So should white athletes complain about black privileges in sports and demand affirmative action?

Every groups has their privileges and disadvantages. so what? They can't change it. should they not take advantage of their privileges?

Comment

And what about sports? as I said earlier, blacks dominate the sports world. Being black is a benefit for getting into basketball or football. And it is well earned. They are better athletes than most whites. So should white athletes complain about black privileges in sports and demand affirmative action?
                              I think Filipinos should sue the NBAA for the decades of discrimination they have been forced to endure.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Slavery is a part of our history and not an issue today, but it left a trail of persecution, discrimination and violence. No guilt necessary for any reason under the sun, unless you are personally responsible, which I doubt unless, of course, you believe in the inherited guilt of your ancestors in Christian Theology.
                                Then what the hell was you point? eh?

Comment