Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taken out of context apparently, but an unfortunate reference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

If homosexuals would keep their disgusting behavior in the privacy of their homes instead of flaunting it in the streets and the media and trying to influence the minds of our children, then things would be different.
    If only Christians would do the same and keep their behavior in the privacy of their homes and churches, so that me and my family don't have to be accosted by street preachers, or attempts to push Christianity into the minds of children.... Sounds more like a "do as I say, not as I do" proposal by you and your ilk

Comment

It's cute how you mischaracterize condemning abhorrent behavior as showing a "salacious interest". It reminds me of the Steve Taylor song "Bad Rap":

Can't understand those Christians
      So you tap us all in stereo.
      Well, they're hypocrites! They're such a bore!
      Well come on in, there's room for one more.
      Well some Christians are remarkably concerned about other people's sex lives. Why? What possible interest could they have apart from a somewhat salacious and morbid curiosity?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I'd never heard of Paladino before this thread. It appears a bigger mistake from him was calling for Merrick Garland's death. Not a bright man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          I'd never heard of Paladino before this thread. It appears a bigger mistake from him was calling for Merrick Garland's death. Not a bright man.
          Yeah between him and the GOP candidate in Florida saying that under his 'plan' you'll be able to shoot FBI, ATF, etc. agents 'on sight', it doesn't appear the brightest bulbs are running this election year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

If only Christians would do the same and keep their behavior in the privacy of their homes and churches, so that me and my family don't have to be accosted by street preachers, or attempts to push Christianity into the minds of children.... Sounds more like a "do as I say, not as I do" proposal by you and your ilk
            Yeah, sorry, Hypatia already gave us that canard. The Bible explicitly commands Christians to condemn sin and preach the message of salvation.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Well some Christians are remarkably concerned about other people's sex lives. Why? What possible interest could they have apart from a somewhat salacious and morbid curiosity?
              I don't know. You would have to ask "some Christians" about that.

Comment

it doesn't appear the brightest bulbs are running this election year.
                So then - same old same old
                ?
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yeah, sorry, Hypatia already gave us that canard. The Bible explicitly commands Christians to condemn sin and preach the message of salvation.
                  Go ahead and condemn sin all you want inside your own homes or churches. Just keep it there.

(The Bible also explicitly says to stone your children if they are disobedient and rebellious, so... )

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

So then - same old same old
                    ?
                    Even moreso this year.

Comment

Go ahead and condemn sin all you want inside your own homes or churches. Just keep it there.

(The Bible also explicitly says to stone your children if they are disobedient and rebellious, so... )
                      The Bible does not say we are to sit quietly in our homes but to let our light shine for all to see.

As for your parenthetical, you're taking that out of context. The commandment was for children who were a danger to the community -- basically the equivalent of a modern day gang banger -- and not merely for a child who, say, refused to clean his room.

Comment

Yeah between him and the GOP candidate in Florida saying that under his 'plan' you'll be able to shoot FBI, ATF, etc. agents 'on sight', it doesn't appear the brightest bulbs are running this election year.
                        The Republicans always manage to dredge up some real nutcases to run for office.

It is one of their primary ways of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Bible does not say we are to sit quietly in our homes but to let our light shine for all to see.
                          Then you sure as hell can't demand of others what you are not willing to do yourself. Especially in a country where freedom of expression, association, and liberty are enshrined.

As for your parenthetical, you're taking that out of context. The commandment was for children who were a danger to the community -- basically the equivalent of a modern day gang banger -- and not merely for a child who, say, refused to clean his room.
                          Or, say, a child who was gay and out having sex with a bunch of men....?

Oh and no, I didn't take it out of context. Indeed, with further context, the person need not even be a 'danger/equivalent of a gang banger' - it's even worse as it would be okay to stone a drunk homeless man if his parents came forward and said he doesn't obey them or listen to them.

"18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid."
                          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 08-21-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I don't know. You would have to ask "some Christians" about that.
                            I can only note that in your first comment to this thread you included this:

However, he is right to denounce the evil of homosexuality.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              Unfortunately, since I live in NY, I have. He suffers from the same disease that can affect Trump: diarrhea of the mouth.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Then you sure as hell can't demand of others what you are not willing to do yourself. Especially in a country where freedom of expression, association, and liberty are enshrined.

Or, say, a child who was gay and out having sex with a bunch of men....?

Oh and no, I didn't take it out of context. Indeed, with further context, the person need not even be a 'danger/equivalent of a gang banger' - it's even worse as it would be okay to stone a drunk homeless man if his parents came forward and said he doesn't obey them or listen to them.

"18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid."
                                I'm curious what moral obligation you think homosexuals have to literally parade their abhorrent behavior through the streets.

And when I say you're taking the passage out of context, I'm referring to the social context and historical realities of the time. Ancient Israel was not a leisure society. They spent their whole day working for their survival. A young man who spent his days carousing, stuffing his face with food and wine that he hadn't earned, and who rebelled against those in authority, could potentially endanger not just the survival of his immediate family but the community itself. And after due process of being examined by the elders, if the young man still refused to correct his behavior, then he would be executed.

But, of course, this was a command for ancient Israel and was never intended to be "for all people for all time".

Comment