Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gen. Flynn lied concerning his pre-innauguration communications with Russia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    right. Same with something like pedophilia. They want special "rights" and they think they and their love will never be able to get married or whatever, so should be legalize pedophilia to give them "equal right" because of their "suffering?"
    I do not see the comparison. First, this was the issue of marriage, not the legalization of the act itself; homosexual sex was already legalized quite a while ago, and as far as I was aware, whether it should stay legalized or not was not in dispute in this topic, which was concerned solely with the question of marriage, a different issue. You can certainly argue about that if you wish, but you're still comparing two rather different topics.

Second, your claim of "they and their love will never be able to get married" is false. Simply waiting for the younger party to achieve the age requirement for entering a marriage makes it legal, so there is no "never" involved.

I criticized Starlight's analogy for not working, and I stand by that, but I do not see your analogy as an improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Um, wow. I can't believe you wrote that without realizing it showed the need to rethink your entire life and values. I guess you're just a horrible horrible person who doesn't care about others.
      I care more about the eternal well-being of others than their abnormal desires. There are more important things in life than sexual gratification.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        I do not see the comparison. First, this was the issue of marriage, not the legalization of the act itself; homosexual sex was already legalized quite a while ago, and as far as I was aware, whether it should stay legalized or not was not in dispute in this topic, which was concerned solely with the question of marriage, a different issue. You can certainly argue about that if you wish, but you're still comparing two rather different topics.

Second, your claim of "they and their love will never be able to get married" is false. Simply waiting for the younger party to achieve the age requirement for entering a marriage makes it legal, so there is no "never" involved.

I criticized Starlight's analogy for not working, and I stand by that, but I do not see your analogy as an improvement.
        Your hypothetical solution fails. Pedophiles do not fall in lust with particular individuals who happen to be children. They lust after children. Once the child has become an adult, the attraction is no longer there.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I care more about the eternal well-being of others than their abnormal desires. There are more important things in life than sexual gratification.
          Besides, from a purely biological perspective (which is the only perspective available to atheists), homosexuals are abnormal. It's a scientific fact that males and females are physically compatible in a way that two males and two females are not. You might even say that homosexuality violates natural morality.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Besides, from a purely biological perspective (which is the only perspective available to atheists), homosexuals are abnormal. It's a scientific fact that males and females are physically compatible in a way that two males and two females are not. You might even say that homosexuality violates natural morality.
            Eh, the "gay uncle hypothesis" was invented to get around that issue. It suggests that maybe the reason some men are gay is so that they might spend more time providing resources for their nieces and nephews, and so their kin can produce more offspring rather than chasing down provisions on their own. The theory has a number of holes, including the fact that it doesn't really account for lesbians, but yeah...

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Your hypothetical solution fails. Pedophiles do not fall in lust with particular individuals who happen to be children. They lust after children. Once the child has become an adult, the attraction is no longer there.
              The fact still remains that the claim they would "never" be able to marry their love is not true because they do have that ability. The attraction may have ended at that point, but they still get that right eventually. There is no "never."

At any rate, the comparison still wasn't a good one for other reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                The fact still remains that the claim they would "never" be able to marry their love is not true because they do have that ability. The attraction may have ended at that point, but they still get that right eventually. There is no "never."

At any rate, the comparison still wasn't a good one for other reasons.
                Well then the solution to gay marriage is to make one of them have a sex change operation. Derp. Aging out is not a solution to their abnormal desire for children. Just like a sex change is not the solution to homosexual relationships.

Comment

Well then the solution to gay marriage is to make one of them have a sex change operation. Derp. Aging out is not a solution to their abnormal desire for children. Just like a sex change is not the solution to homosexual relationships.
                  No actually the solution would be for you and your ilk to try and live your own lives and to stop busying yourself with trying to force others to live according to your values based on your beliefs. That would serve both sides well.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    No actually the solution would be for you and your ilk to try and live your own lives and to stop busying yourself with trying to force others to live according to your values based on your beliefs. That would serve both sides well.
                    So you support just leaving pedophiles to just live their lives according to their own values and beliefs then?

Comment

So you support just leaving pedophiles to just live their lives according to their own values and beliefs then?
                      Pedophilia is the non-consenting abuse of underaged children and is against the law for that reason. Don't know why that has to be explained to you people over and over again. We are speaking of the relationships between consenting adults.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Pedophilia is the non-consenting abuse of underaged children and is against the law for that reason. Don't know why that has to be explained to you people over and over again. We are speaking of the relationships between consenting adults.
                        so what? Why don't "you and your ilk to try and live your own lives and to stop busying yourself with trying to force others to live according to your values based on your beliefs?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          What a classy guy you are, Thinker...
                          Compared to the juvenile usuals on this site, I am pretty classy.
                          Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                            Compared to the juvenile usuals on this site, I am pretty classy.
                            How do you stand your own awesomeness?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              How do you stand your own awesomeness?
                              By thanking the lord every day.
                              Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                                By thanking the lord every day.
                                If I were HALF as awesome as you, I'd move to a small island nation and demand worship from the locals.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment