Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Betsy DeVos Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't find somebody separate from unions. There are plenty of teachers out there who want nothing to do with the NEA.
    The teachers' unions OWN public education in the US. They have a strangle-hold on it. Kinda like the Democrats own Chicago.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Education is one issue where I agree with the Conservatives that it ought to be handled on a state level, which is to say that the role of Secretary of Education should be significantly limited. Having said that, actual experience working in the school system would be an ideal prerequisite. DeVos simply is not qualified.
      We desperately need an outsider in that position to move us back to actual local control of education.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        The U.S. had a head start in public education, its only natural that the rest of the world would catch up. It isn't a decline in our education as much as it is the rest of the world catching up. Thats not to say thats its perfect, or that it hasn't had its problems, and doesn't need fix'n, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Conservatives/Republicans just have a problem with government in general, and they don't like the idea of paying taxes when it doesn't benefit them personally. Unions aren't the problem, not valuing education enough to get more great teachers into the system is a problem.
        No! Education in the USA is a joke today. Those getting a good education are doing it in spite of the system.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          No! Education in the USA is a joke today. Those getting a good education are doing it in spite of the system.
          And the only solution ever ventured seems to be "throw more money at it." Since I was a student back in the 60s and 70s (back when you needed to know how to use a slide rule to do trigonometry) spending per student has at least tripled with nothing to show for it. My old High School, which had over 3000 students, had a principal and three assistant principals and now, with 4000 students, there were (as of 2015) 14 assistant principals.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            The U.S. had a head start in public education, its only natural that the rest of the world would catch up.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              the unions have a lock down on the public school systems
              In a right to work state you can refuse to join. I was going to myself back when I was looking for teaching jobs.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by MsJack View Post
                She's clearly unqualified (and I say that as someone who usually votes Republican and has very few issues with Trump's other nominees).
                I agree, but whilst her passionate support of charter schools is misguided...most perform below the state average according to the New York Times...her advocacy for guns in schools in Wyoming, as a protection against bears is spot on.

I hope another Republican defects so Mike Pence can't tiebreaker her through.

Comment

In a right to work state you can refuse to join. I was going to myself back when I was looking for teaching jobs.
                  I've had friends who refused to join their respective unions - it made work incredibly unpleasant for them, and all but guarantees there will be no "career path".

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    And the only solution ever ventured seems to be "throw more money at it." Since I was a student back in the 60s and 70s (back when you needed to know how to use a slide rule to do trigonometry) spending per student has at least tripled with nothing to show for it. My old High School, which had over 3000 students, had a principal and three assistant principals and now, with 4000 students, there were (as of 2015) 14 assistant principals.
                    Where I most recently taught in the public schools system, we had an assistant principal who was pretty much perpetually intoxicated. He finally got caught driving while intoxicated (it is rumored this was a recurring event, but he always got a pass) and the school board demanded he be fired from his job. The "system", instead, created a new position for him called "curriculum consultant", where he received almost a 20% raise, and had virtually no duties or responsibilities. And they hired TWO assistant principals to replace him.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but instead of naming schools after 'important people in America', they're being named (or even renamed) for stinkin career educrats.

Comment

Maybe Illinois has different laws, but the teacher who came to school in my district was fired. We're also not a right to work state but there are at least two people I know of who aren't in the union--one because he's a Republican state senator.

As far as the effectiveness of public education in America, there are some places that do phenomenal jobs, and some places that don't.

For example:
                      If Massachusets were a country, its students would rank 9th in the world.

if Massachusetts were allowed to report subject scores independently -- much the way that, say, Shanghai is allowed to do so -- the Bay State would rank 9th in the world in Math Proficiency, tied with Japan, and on the heels of 8th-ranked Switzerland. In reading, Massachusetts would rank fourth in the world, tied with Hong Kong, and not far behind third-ranked Finland.

Moreover, in reading, Vermont would be tied for fifth with Singapore, ahead of such perennial PISA stalwarts as New Zealand, Japan, Canada, Australia and Belgium.

According to a separate international test, Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) -- which tests 8th-graders, instead of PISA's 15-year-olds-- Massachusetts ranks second only to top-ranked Singapore in global measures of science competency.

And there are places that do abysmally:
                      Naturally, it's also relevant to look at how the worst-performing US states compared to their international peers. According to Free Enterprise, the bottom 10 performing US states (the list includes the District of Columbia) are, from best to worst: Nevada, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Alabama, West Virginia, New Mexico, Louisiana, the District of Columbia and Mississippi. At 14% proficiency in math, Mississippi is on par with Bulgaria, Trinidad and Tobago, and Uruguay. At 8% math proficiency, DC is on par with Kazakhstan, Mexico and Thailand.
                      fwiw,
                      guacamole
                      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                        As far as the effectiveness of public education in America, there are some places that do phenomenal jobs, and some places that don't.
                        As far as the effectiveness of the Department of Education... that's an entirely different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          As far as the effectiveness of the Department of Education... that's an entirely different matter.
                          Even as an education professional for twenty years, I have a hard time explaining to people and understanding myself what the department of education does. It funds research. It advises policy makers on broad policy goals from that research. With the cooperation of the president and congress, it can offer incentives for change (Obama and Duncan's "Race to the Top" initiative.) Beyond that, it seems to be a ceremonial bully pulpit. It could go and I wouldn't care. The most meaningful thing to come out of the education department in the last 8 years was that we had to provide some gender neutral bathroom facilities.
                          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                            Even as an education professional for twenty years, I have a hard time explaining to people and understanding myself what the department of education does. It funds research. It advises policy makers on broad policy goals from that research. With the cooperation of the president and congress, it can offer incentives for change (Obama and Duncan's "Race to the Top" initiative.) Beyond that, it seems to be a ceremonial bully pulpit. It could go and I wouldn't care. The most meaningful thing to come out of the education department in the last 8 years was that we had to provide some gender neutral bathroom facilities.
                            For which they have a $69.4 billion in discretionary funding this year.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apparently most conservatives here simply believe that all republican administration cabinet nominees should be confirmed simply because they are nominated.

Comment

Chuck Schumer is against her - that's all you need to know.

95ff435c240b91016a0f6a70670077ff.jpg

She'll get the job, with Pence probably breaking the tie.

Comment