Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Super Bowl: beware of the kangaroo that alienates skippy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You think they want to share the good stuff with the USA? They want to keep that for themselves.
    Nah! We sell it to the Asians at a huge mark-up!

I was just reflecting that when I was an exec & taken to lunch I enjoyed wines, spirits & beer from all over Europe, South Africa & elsewhere but I can't remember ever having a Californian wine. Why might that be? Does the USA keep the good stuff for itself?

As for USA beers, don't know.

I've only tasted Budweiser & Milers served to me by a visiting yank - he joked "You'll find we serve our beer very cold?" I asked "Why so?". He replied "So we can tell it from urine".

Comment

Originally posted by elam View Post

I was just reflecting that when I was an exec & taken to lunch I enjoyed wines, spirits & beer from all over Europe, South Africa & elsewhere but I can't remember ever having a Californian wine. Why might that be? Does the USA keep the good stuff for itself?

I've only tasted Budweiser & Milers served to me by a visiting yank - he joked "You'll find we serve our beer very cold?" I asked "Why so?". He replied "So we can tell it from urine".
      I only ever tried Miller once. Budweiser is marginally acceptable if there's nothing else, and I'm not paying for it. At the moment, I'm having a Founders Breakfast Stout. I've had a couple varieties of Coopers from Oz, but I don't recall having had any others from there off-hand.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The only beer I ever liked is German Weissenbier.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I only ever tried Miller once. Budweiser is marginally acceptable if there's nothing else, and I'm not paying for it. At the moment, I'm having a Founders Breakfast Stout. I've had a couple varieties of Coopers from Oz, but I don't recall having had any others from there off-hand.
          I've never been a big beer drinker but from time to time I've come across a beer that just hits the spot on a very hot day (also I discovered beer helps an upset stomach). The main varieties on tap in Sydney are VB & Hahn, but at the local bottle shop I'm inundated with local and international choice. A local beer currently popular is called "Pure Blonde" its not badand goes well with bacon

When I went walk about in southern europe I got addicted to Carlsburg (dutch but available everywhere) & Amstad (Greek). In New Caledonia I really liked their local brew called "Number One". All were cheaper than water overseas, but in Oz they are imports and so expensive.

Personally I like a Pilsener or a bitter style, accompanied by a salad & ham roll...

A friend of mine is a member of a beer club - each month a dozen or so local and international beers are delivered to his door. Have you ever had a cherry beer? Most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.

Comment

I've never been a big beer drinker but from time to time I've come across a beer that just hits the spot on a very hot day (also I discovered beer helps an upset stomach). The main varieties on tap in Sydney are VB & Hahn, but at the local bottle shop I'm inundated with local and international choice. A local beer currently popular is called "Pure Blonde" its not badand goes well with bacon

When I went walk about in southern europe I got addicted to Carlsburg (dutch but available everywhere) & Amstad (Greek). In New Caledonia I really liked their local brew called "Number One". All were cheaper than water overseas, but in Oz they are imports and so expensive.
            I can find Carlsburg here. Not sure I've seen Amstad, but I'll take a look next time I venture over to Total Wine & More (they have a huge selection of wines and beers, but are a bit of a hike).
            Personally I like a Pilsener or a bitter style, accompanied by a salad & ham roll...
            Pilseners are okay, but I tend to prefer an IPA or stout.
            A friend of mine is a member of a beer club - each month a dozen or so local and international beers are delivered to his door. Have you ever had a cherry beer? Most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.
            I've found that most fruit beers are wheat-based, and I don't care for wheat beers. I've only found a couple that I like.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I can find Carlsburg here. Not sure I've seen Amstad, but I'll take a look next time I venture over to Total Wine & More (they have a huge selection of wines and beers, but are a bit of a hike).
              They're one of the few places that carry the brandies that I've recently started drinking.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                They're one of the few places that carry the brandies that I've recently started drinking.
                Reminds me of a story from my younger days:

There's this port on a western bay and it serves a hundred ships a day. Lonely sailors pass the time away and talk about their homes.

And there's a girl in this harbor town, and she works layin' whiskey down. They say "Brandy, fetch another round" and she serves them whiskey and wine.

The sailors say "Brandy, you're a fine girl. What a good wife you would be"

"Yeah your eyes could steal a sailor from the sea"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Reminds me of a story from my younger days:

There's this port on a western bay and it serves a hundred ships a day. Lonely sailors pass the time away and talk about their homes.

And there's a girl in this harbor town, and she works layin' whiskey down. They say "Brandy, fetch another round" and she serves them whiskey and wine.

The sailors say "Brandy, you're a fine girl. What a good wife you would be"

"Yeah your eyes could steal a sailor from the sea"
                  I actually heard that song for the first time in years not quite a week ago. They were playing it in a store that I was in

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I actually heard that song for the first time in years not quite a week ago. They were playing it in a store that I was in

There's a SONG!!!???

Comment

I need them to open a MD branch in my area so I can see that selection. The closest stores to me are in VA, where they can't sell the hard stuff.
                      sigpic

Comment