Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dow Hits 20000 for First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dow Hits 20000 for First Time

Dow Hits 20000 for First Time

I think it was so magnanimous of Obama to start the Stock Market on an upward climb so Trump can bask in its rally!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I know. The guy never ceases to amaze me. He's the President that keeps on giving

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Any idea what that looks like in, say, 2008 dollars (iow, before quantitative easing happened)?
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Any idea what that looks like in, say, 2008 dollars (iow, before quantitative easing happened)?
        I just know I'm tempted to move my 403(b) to "cash" before the bottom falls out. The Annuity Board (Southern Baptist Convention) tells me 'stay along for the ride'.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Damn you Trump!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I just know I'm tempted to move my 403(b) to "cash" before the bottom falls out. The Annuity Board (Southern Baptist Convention) tells me 'stay along for the ride'.
            Yeah that is what I am thinking too. I remember the big tech bubble popping and losing a LOT of my stock value. I am leary now. I went ahead and moved about 1/3 of my personal savings in etrade to cash (sold off one stock that wasn't doing all that great in the long haul anyway) and I am waiting it out. So if it keeps climbing, 2/3 of my investments will keep growing, and if it crashes, I have some cash that I can buy some cheap stock with and then wait as it climbs back up. I am leaving my 401K alone for now since it is all automagic from my paycheck. I have it in a balanced account, stocks and bonds.

Comment

Wow, so Obama's economic policies have finally started working! It's about time.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Wow, so Obama's economic policies have finally started working! It's about time.
                Sure! We just needed him to get out of the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Yeah that is what I am thinking too. I remember the big tech bubble popping and losing a LOT of my stock value. I am leary now. I went ahead and moved about 1/3 of my personal savings in etrade to cash (sold off one stock that wasn't doing all that great in the long haul anyway) and I am waiting it out. So if it keeps climbing, 2/3 of my investments will keep growing, and if it crashes, I have some cash that I can buy some cheap stock with and then wait as it climbs back up. I am leaving my 401K alone for now since it is all automagic from my paycheck. I have it in a balanced account, stocks and bonds.
                  Yeah, my 401(k) is in a pretty balanced position, but my 403(b) was a bit aggressive --- which has been WONDERFUL --- but I don't wanna be greedy and think the market will continue to rise. Looking at options.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Yeah, my 401(k) is in a pretty balanced position, but my 403(b) was a bit aggressive --- which has been WONDERFUL --- but I don't wanna be greedy and think the market will continue to rise. Looking at options.
                    Well here is an option. Cash out 1/3 of your 403(b) then invest it in my new company: Sparko's Bacon Hoard, Inc. - it will be safe there! I promise! Much safer than giving it to any Nigerian Prince, that's for sure.

Comment

I have always wondered about investing in Gold. I don't even have a clue on how to go about doing that, other than coin collecting, or buying gold coins. Can you buy "stock" in Gold in someplace like etrade?

Comment

I have always wondered about investing in Gold. I don't even have a clue on how to go about doing that, other than coin collecting, or buying gold coins. Can you buy "stock" in Gold in someplace like etrade?
                        I have a friend who tried his best to get me to invest in gold back in the mid 80's..... I sure wish I would have listened!

Regarding buying gold "stock", there are all kinds of schemes, and I haven't sorted through them.

Comment

Financial experts don't generally recommend investing in gold.

Source: DaveRamsey.com

It sucks. Gold is a horrible investment. It's speculating in precious metals, and you're going to lose your butt when you play with gold. The deal with gold is really simple.

Gold has a 70-year track record of 4.2% returns. That's about the rate of inflation. It's awful. All the rate of return that gold has made has been in the last seven years, and even then it will go up and down and up and down. It's very volatile.

If there are any end-time conspiracy theorist nutburgers who think that gold is stable and will cover us if the economy collapses, I tell you that gold and money are spiritual. Gold is only as good to you as someone else is willing to take it as payment. There is no guarantee that someone will take it as payment.

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and that economy collapsed, the first thing that happens is commodities become valuable. Paper money isn't valuable and gold isn't valuable. A bottle of water, a tank of gas or a pair of blue jeans in that mess was a big deal, but a bar of gold wouldn't have gotten you anything. People are after survival in those situations. The idea that we return to the gold standard after a crash is bogus.

https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/posts/115865

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah, I think it's already riding kinda high at this point.

Comment

Source: DaveRamsey.com

It sucks. Gold is a horrible investment. It's speculating in precious metals, and you're going to lose your butt when you play with gold. The deal with gold is really simple.

Gold has a 70-year track record of 4.2% returns. That's about the rate of inflation. It's awful. All the rate of return that gold has made has been in the last seven years, and even then it will go up and down and up and down. It's very volatile.

If there are any end-time conspiracy theorist nutburgers who think that gold is stable and will cover us if the economy collapses, I tell you that gold and money are spiritual. Gold is only as good to you as someone else is willing to take it as payment. There is no guarantee that someone will take it as payment.

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and that economy collapsed, the first thing that happens is commodities become valuable. Paper money isn't valuable and gold isn't valuable. A bottle of water, a tank of gas or a pair of blue jeans in that mess was a big deal, but a bar of gold wouldn't have gotten you anything. People are after survival in those situations. The idea that we return to the gold standard after a crash is bogus.

https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/posts/115865

© Copyright Original Source

But... but...

I'm a PIRATE. Gold is in my job description!

Comment