Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No More Foreign Aid For Abortion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    I guess you missed the bit about the termination of "insensate fetuses"; were the holocaust Jews insensate fetuses?
    Stop blustering. Once again: "In a 7-2 decision written by Justice Harry Blackmun (who was chosen because of his prior experience as counsel to the Mayo Clinic), the Court ruled that the Texas statute violated Jane Roe's constitutional right to privacy. The Court argued that the Constitution's First, Fourth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual's "zone of privacy" against state laws and cited past cases ruling that marriage, contraception, and child rearing are activities covered in this "zone of privacy." The Court then argued that the "zone of privacy" was "broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy." This decision involved myriad physical, psychological, and economic stresses a pregnant woman must face."

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/supremecourt...dmark_roe.html
    That doesn't mean abortion is protected by the constitution. It is a legal argument to smuggle abortion under "privacy" - I suppose a lawyer could use the same argument for a mother who smothered her child in the privacy of their own home. Doesn't mean it is protected by the constitution.

Comment

as ruled upon by the Supreme Court in Roe v Wade.
      Would you consider partial birth abortion nothing but "the termination of an insensate fetus"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Given that the majority of those opposing abortion in the US are religious, e.g. 75% White Evangelical Protestants oppose it, you tell me.
        http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...bout-abortion/
        Since the majority of people who oppose racism are also religious does that mean that being against racism is a religious issue?
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Given that the majority of those opposing abortion in the US are religious, e.g. 75% White Evangelical Protestants oppose it, you tell me.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...bout-abortion/
          You know, instead of repeatedly telling religious people why they oppose abortion, you could try letting them tell you their reasons for things. Radical, I know, but worth a try.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I have on many occasions presented a non-religious argument against abortion. It goes like this:

P1) At the moment of conception, an organism is formed that meets even a the most conservative scientific definition of life.
            P2) This life-form has human DNA.
            P3) This life-form is innocent having committed no moral or ethical wrongs.
            P4) Laws exist to protect the innocent from harm.

C) Therefore, at the moment of conception, an innocent human life is created which is fully deserving of legal protection.

Nowhere does this argument depend on accepting religious beliefs, only basic scientific and philosophical truths.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I have on many occasions presented a non-religious argument against abortion. It goes like this:

P1) At the moment of conception, an organism is formed that meets even a the most conservative scientific definition of life.
              P2) This life-form has human DNA.
              P3) This life-form is innocent having committed no moral or ethical wrongs.
              P4) Laws exist to protect the innocent from harm.

C) Therefore, at the moment of conception, an innocent human life is created which is fully deserving of legal protection.

Nowhere does this argument depend on accepting religious beliefs, only basic scientific and philosophical truths.
              Sonograms aren't religious and have convinced many people that a "fetus" isn't just some clump of tissue as the pro-abortion side maintains. In fact, it was what caused one of the founders of NARAL to become pro-life.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is one thing I CAN back Trump on. Supposedly the funds here and on the defunding of Planned Parenthood are supposed to be rerouted to strengthen state Health Departments. Once again, should this come true, I can back this totally as true procedures for genuine medical reasons need real surgical oversight.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  You know, instead of repeatedly telling religious people why they oppose abortion, you could try letting them tell you their reasons for things. Radical, I know, but worth a try.
                  But that would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    Tassman has it on good authority (his own) that religious people are either lying or deluded.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Actually, was it legal in Nazi Germany? Did the government actually pass laws to make it legal, or did they just do the killings without bothering with that? A government doing something doesn't mean it's actually legal under their laws. I'll admit I know basically nothing about the specific laws passed in Nazi Germany, but I am curious as to whether or not they ever officially made it legal.

Comment

That doesn't mean abortion is protected by the constitution. It is a legal argument to smuggle abortion under "privacy" - I suppose a lawyer could use the same argument for a mother who smothered her child in the privacy of their own home. Doesn't mean it is protected by the constitution.
                        The fact that Roe v Wade allows abortion in specific circumstances clearly does mean it (and the concomitant rights of the woman), is protected by the Constitution...your typical Evangelical paranoia notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Actually, was it legal in Nazi Germany? Did the government actually pass laws to make it legal, or did they just do the killings without bothering with that? A government doing something doesn't mean it's actually legal under their laws. I'll admit I know basically nothing about the specific laws passed in Nazi Germany, but I am curious as to whether or not they ever officially made it legal.

Comment

is protected by the Constitution...your typical Evangelical paranoia notwithstanding.
                            Clearly you don't understand US law or the constitution. Just because something is legal, doesn't make it "protected by the constitution" - Roe v Wade could be overturned tomorrow. You can't overturn something protected by the constitution without a constitutional amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Clearly you don't understand US law or the constitution. Just because something is legal, doesn't make it "protected by the constitution" - Roe v Wade could be overturned tomorrow. You can't overturn something protected by the constitution without a constitutional amendment.
                              That's what happens when a foreigner ignorantly flaps his gums about the US. He doesn't live here, so he doesn't have a practical understanding of how our system of government actually works.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                That's what happens when a foreigner ignorantly flaps his gums about the US. He doesn't live here, so he doesn't have a practical understanding of how our system of government actually works.
                                he is an idiot. ALL federal laws are "protected" by the constitution. Or at least are supposed to be. Sometimes an unconstitutional law gets passed, then the courts have to get involved and ban the law. The constitution doesn't speak in specifics of laws anyway, it deals in generalities and rights. Like it says we have the right to bear arms. But laws are what determine what types of guns we can have, whether we need to have permits or not, and so on. There is no "right to abortion" - that's just moronic.

Comment