Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Inaguration crowd size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You might dial down the sanctimony a bit, Carpe - the Pharisees and Saduccees [sic] were religious figures.
    And evangelicals are not?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's why Jesus called them out. You seem to think Trump got elected Pastor-in-Chief. And that bit about "embracing Trump wholesale" is a steaming pile of horsie poo.
    CP - there is little doubt about the broad embrace by evangelicals of Trump. Obviously it is not "all" evangelicals, so you are right to call me on my language that was too "broad." But there is only one demographic that has a HIGHER approval rating of Trump than white evangelicals at 75%, and that's Republicans at the mid 80s.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But, hey, you have a sympathetic audience, so kabuki on!
    I would hardly consider Tweb a "sympathetic audience"
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      And evangelicals are not?
      Not in the same sense as the religious LEADERS of Jesus' day, no.

CP - there is little doubt about the broad embrace by evangelicals of Trump. Obviously it is not "all" evangelicals, so you are right to call me on my language that was too "broad."
      You are hereby called on the overly broad language. Again.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You don't truly think that surprises me, do you?

I'll tell you what amazes me. The evangelical community in this country has embraced a man who is almost the antithesis of the message of Jesus of Nazareth. They speak of false prophets and those who would subvert the message, and along comes a man like Trump and they embrace him wholesale. Jesus of Nazareth had some powerful messages: the least will be the greatest - turn the other cheek instead of seeking vengeance - bless those who persecute you - those who give from their need instead of their excess give more - and the list goes on. There is much to be admired about this message. But the only message evangelicals seem to care about is throwing the moneylenders from the temple (yet money is so consumingly important...) and Jesus calling the Pharisees and Sadducees to account. But they forget WHY Jesus is said to have called them account. He calls them to account because they flaunt their religion and require all to live by LAW instead of by the spirit of love he believes is the essence of god.

ONe has to wonder who the modern-day Pharisees and Saduccees are. I know who gets MY vote...
        If we held all of DC to that standard, DC would be a very empty place. It always amazes me how many non Christian liberals suddenly found religion in the Trump era while flushing it down the drain for decades.
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-13-2018, 07:13 PM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I would hardly consider Tweb a "sympathetic audience"
          What are charles, oxmixmudd, et al? Chopped liver?
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            One of my cousins has been a lifelong Democrat and she said she is upset with all of the Antifa Rioting, the way liberals have been treating Christians, and MSM treatment of Trump and says that she would vote for him if he ran again.
            Silly demented fool, it must run in the family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              One of my cousins has been a lifelong Democrat and she said she is upset with all of the Antifa Rioting, the way liberals have been treating Christians, and MSM treatment of Trump and says that she would vote for him if he ran again.
              Doesn't she know that most US liberals are Christians?
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  "Christians" in the sense that "my gramma was a Christian" or "I was practically born in Church"?

If a cat crawls into an oven and gives birth to kittens, we don't call them muffins.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Christians" in the sense that "my gramma was a Christian" or "I was practically born in Church"?

If a cat crawls into an oven and gives birth to kittens, we don't call them muffins.
                    Oh come on, you know at least one of them would end up named Muffin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      Oh come on, you know at least one of them would end up named Muffin.
                      Ya know, I'll have to add that to the schpiel!!!

Comment

Ya know, I'll have to add that to the schpiel!!!
                        Other options would be cupcake, cookie, and for the crazy ones fruitcake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          Other options would be cupcake, cookie, and for the crazy ones fruitcake.
                          biscuit, shortbread, cornbread.... you're on to something here, Brum!

Comment

biscuit, shortbread, cornbread.... you're on to something here, Brum!
                            Stop! You're making me hungry!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Just out of curiosity, do you ever use sorghum on your cornbread?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                This coming from the talking bacon.

Comment