Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is a Woman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    From less than an hour prior to when you asked me, and to which you even replied.

I swear sometimwa she only reads a word or two that jumps out at her from someone's post and nothing else

Comment

From less than an hour prior to when you asked me, and to which you even replied.

You made no mention of a pdf copy in your original post.

Here it is again with my emphasis.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      During Jesus' lifetime He hadn't yet fulfilled the Law, so that is no surprise. And while Paul was a strong advocate for abolishing the circumcision requirement, he was not the one to do so. That was the Council of Jerusalem that dropped it as a precondition for new Gentile converts in what is known as the Apostolic Decree.

As for baptism, this from the Jewish Encyclopedia entry on Baptism:

"According to rabbinical teachings, which dominated even during the existence of the Temple (Pes. viii. 8), Baptism, next to circumcision and sacrifice, was an absolutely necessary condition to be fulfilled by a proselyte to Judaism (Yeb. 46b, 47b; Ker. 9a; 'Ab. Zarah 57a; Shab. 135a; Yer. Kid. iii. 14, 64d).

While circumcision was regarded as more important, they were both regarded as "seals."

The entry further notes

But as circumcision was discarded by Christianity, and the sacrifices had ceased, Baptism remained the sole condition for initiation into religious life

Hence Paul hardly replaced circumcision with baptism since baptism was already regarded as essential.
      [box]
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I swear sometimwa she only reads a word or two that jumps out at her from someone's post and nothing else
        Here is a challenge for you.

Show me in the original post rogue06 made to me [and given below] where he mentions he was using a pdf copy of the JE.

During Jesus' lifetime He hadn't yet fulfilled the Law, so that is no surprise. And while Paul was a strong advocate for abolishing the circumcision requirement, he was not the one to do so. That was the Council of Jerusalem that dropped it as a precondition for new Gentile converts in what is known as the Apostolic Decree.

As for baptism, this from the Jewish Encyclopedia entry on Baptism:

"According to rabbinical teachings, which dominated even during the existence of the Temple (Pes. viii. 8), Baptism, next to circumcision and sacrifice, was an absolutely necessary condition to be fulfilled by a proselyte to Judaism (Yeb. 46b, 47b; Ker. 9a; 'Ab. Zarah 57a; Shab. 135a; Yer. Kid. iii. 14, 64d).

While circumcision was regarded as more important, they were both regarded as "seals."

The entry further notes

But as circumcision was discarded by Christianity, and the sacrifices had ceased, Baptism remained the sole condition for initiation into religious life

Hence Paul hardly replaced circumcision with baptism since baptism was already regarded as essential.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Nt

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Here is a challenge for you.

Show me in the original post rogue06 made to me [and given below] where he mentions he was using a pdf copy of the JE.
            Here's a challenge for you. Rogue made the following post well before you asked "where":
            Interesting. I'm using a pdf copy of the Jewish Encyclopedia that contains the hyperlinks.
            Why did you respond to said post (I quote you beliw) an hour before you asked "where?" wrt rogue stating they used a pdf?
            Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Interesting. I'm using a pdf copy of the Jewish Encyclopedia that contains the hyperlinks.
            Very interesting. The JE online does not use those specific hyperlinks.
            I'll be waiting, snookums.

Comment

Here's a challenge for you. Rogue made the following post well before you asked "where":

Why did you respond to said post (I quote you beliw) an hour before you asked "where?" wrt rogue stating they used a pdf?

I'll be waiting, snookums.
              Because he made no mention of a pdf version in his original post.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You made no mention of a pdf copy in your original post.
                Saw no need to.

But you saw where I wrote that I got it from a pdf, and even responded to it -- and yet you still had ask "where"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Saw no need to.
                  Why not? Perhaps you could give the full citation now.

I asked "Where?" in relation to your original post.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Because he made no mention of a pdf version in his original post.
                    Yet made direct mention of a pdf version IN THE POST YOU QUOTED AND RESPONDED TO an HOUR before you asked "where".....

Comment

Yet made direct mention of a pdf version IN THE POST YOU QUOTED AND RESPONDED TO an HOUR before you asked "where".....
                      But he gave no such comment in his original post. Had he written in his original post

"As for baptism, this from the Jewish Encyclopedia entry on Baptism: [I am using a pdf version] "

We would all have known his source was not the online copy of the JE here https://jewishencyclopedia.com/
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

But he gave no such comment in his original post. Had he written in his original post

"As for baptism, this from the Jewish Encyclopedia entry on Baptism: [I am using a pdf version] "
                        He didn't have to. Because he stated it in a followup post. One that you responded directly to and QUOTED, a full HOUR before you asked where he said it was a pdf.
                        We would all have known his source was not the online copy of the JE here https://jewishencyclopedia.com/
                        we did know. Because he said so. And you quoted him saying so. And hour before you asked where he said it was a pdf.

You absolute twit.

Comment

He didn't have to. Because he stated it in a followup post. One that you responded directly to and QUOTED, a full HOUR before you asked where he said it was a pdf.
                          we did know. Because he said so. And you quoted him saying so. And hour before you asked where he said it was a pdf.

You absolute twit.
                          He only stated it after I had pointed out the anomalies between what he posted in his original comment and the same text as it appears in the JE online - here https://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/2456-baptism
                          Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 04-02-2022, 10:37 AM.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He only stated it after I had pointed out the anomalies between what he posted in his original comment and the same text as it appears in the JE online - here https://jewishencyclopedia.com/
                            And yet stated it before you asked where he had said it was a pdf. A post you responded to, an hour before you asked said question. Did you take your extra stupid pills today or what?

Comment

And yet stated it before you asked where he had said it was a pdf. A post you responded to, an hour before you asked said question. Did you take your extra stupid pills today or what?
                              I repeat. My question "Where?" was referring to his original reply. Not what he posted later.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I repeat. My question "Where?" was referring to his original reply. Not what he posted later.
                                You asked the question after replying to his later post where he literally said it was a pdf, you absolute cockwomble.

Comment