Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI, DHS release report on Russia hacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, this is going beyond just butthurt anti-Trump liberals. It really looks like something is developing from this. I just don't think this would be dragging on and on the way it is, involving intelligence agencies if there was no endgame to this. I still don't want to say election nullification just yet, but...

Where is this going exactly?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Well, this is going beyond just butthurt anti-Trump liberals. It really looks like something is developing from this. I just don't think this would be dragging on and on the way it is, involving intelligence agencies if there was no endgame to this. I still don't want to say election nullification just yet, but...

Democrats will drag it on until their idiot base completely forgets they handed Trump the presidency on a silver platter. The neocons are neoconning like usual.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        That's so far proved to be a remarkably nebulous and fluid claim. 'Interfered' = what exactly?
        all the intelligence agencies and senior members of both parties and I will back their credibility against that of Trump and his loyal band of followers.

Made public some emails that revealed the corruption and dishonesty at the heart of the DNC and Clinton's campaign? And somehow that's a bad thing? If that's all the 'Russians' did we should be thanking them, and wondering why the masses of American 'journalists' in the liberal mass media didn't let us know that things like collusion over questions in the presidential debates was happening.
        Thanking the Russian for interfering with the US democratic process. Seriously! You really need to get past the party politics of all this because if even a piece of what is alleged about this Russian activity is true, it is utterly unacceptable and potentially dangerous.

So Assange colluded with the Russians to release emails and increase the chances of Trump getting elected? Really? Assange wants someone who has called for his execution to be the President?
        Nevertheless, the evidence indicates that Assange did

Comment

Well, this is going beyond just butthurt anti-Trump liberals. It really looks like something is developing from this. I just don't think this would be dragging on and on the way it is, involving intelligence agencies if there was no endgame to this. I still don't want to say election nullification just yet, but...

I don't think it's going anywhere, to be honest. There's apparently no good evidence the Russians did anything, and even if they did, there's no good evidence that it influenced the election in any meaningful way. This looks increasingly like much ado about nothing.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Clapper admitted before Congress today "... the hacking did not succeed in changing any vote tallies,"
            No he didn't, what he said is that there is no way to quantify what effect the Russian meddling had on the vote tally. There is no evidence that they hacked into the voting machines themselves to alter the vote, but he said, their meddling was multifacited and that there was no way to tell what effect it had on voters choices.

Comment

As a tail end of a series of accusations, yes. It was basically a "this is how we determined it was the Russians - by the tools they typically use".

From https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/defaul...-2016-1229.pdf

This Joint Analysis Report (JAR) is the result of analytic efforts between the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). This document provides technical details regarding the tools and infrastructure used by the Russian civilian and military intelligence Services (RIS) to compromise and exploit networks and endpoints associated with the U.S. election, as well as a range of U.S. Government, political, and private sector entities. The U.S. Government is referring to this malicious cyber activity by RIS as GRIZZLY STEPPE.

There is no indication in the JAR on how to recognize or deter similar hacks. It's actually pretty low on useful actionable information.

Depends on how Homeland Security classified the evidence. As I said, there must be more to this story that has not been released because what has (the JAR and the earlier brief from DHS) is frankly garbage. Not a single thing in either could stand up in a court of law.
              אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                No he didn't, what he said is that there is no way to quantify what effect the Russian meddling had on the vote tally. There is no evidence that they hacked into the voting machines themselves to alter the vote, but he said, their meddling was multifacited and that there was no way to tell what effect it had on voters choices.
                That's just another way of saying that it had no quantifiable effect at all. Seriously, man, even someone as naively partisan as you has to see that there's no evidence to support the accusations and that they're just hedging their bets at this point. Or maybe I'm underestimating how gullible you really are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Clapper also said there's no way to gauge what impact, if any, the leaked emails might have had on the electorate.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...-vote-tallies/

It's funny, the more we learn about this story, the less there is to it.
                  Well, the article in the WaPo Express had Clapper doubling down on his insistence that the Russians did it, but the evidence referenced was nothing more than "we've detailed more motives for Russia to have done so."
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Not necessarily. That's what TOR nodes do.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Well, this is going beyond just butthurt anti-Trump liberals. It really looks like something is developing from this.
                      Not a single thing released will hold up in a court of law. It's inference and innuendo gone wild.

I just don't think this would be dragging on and on the way it is, involving intelligence agencies if there was no endgame to this.
                      It's high profile, and the intelligence community got caught with their pants down. Assagne and Wikileaks made the CIA, most specifically since this was a private entity hack, look like utter incompetent fools.

I still don't want to say election nullification just yet, but...
                      Will never happen.

Probably the same place the Benghazi hearings went. Whole lotta nowhere.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Well, the article in the WaPo Express had Clapper doubling down on his insistence that the Russians did it, but the evidence referenced was nothing more than "we've detailed more motives for Russia to have done so."
                        From what I can tell, all they seem to have is a bunch of circumstantial evidence.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          The entire argument seems to be, basically, "Just trust us on this, OK?" But considering the number of times our national intelligence organizations have publicly screwed up* and lied to the American people, I'm going to need something a little more concrete.

* Or maybe the Tom Clancy novels are right and that the public screw ups are red herrings to disguise their real machinations with a veneer of incompetence.

Comment

Not necessarily. That's what TOR nodes do.
                            Thanks! Next basic question: Can the NSA or CIA track hackers that use Tor?
                            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              Thanks! Next basic question: Can the NSA or CIA track hackers that use Tor?
                              Sloppy TOR providers, yes. But a majority of TOR node providers do not maintain any log files for the strict purpose of such anonymity. The only way to track those is if the connection is presently active, and they can do a traceback, but even that can be poisoned through a few rudimentary DNS tools. So, long answer short, if a hacker is any good at all, no, they can't really track them via TOR nodes with any real reliability.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Now isn't this interesting... apparently the FBI's conclusions aren't based on first-hand information but instead rely on third-hand information from a firm that has ties to the Democrat party and Hillary...

Source: Breitbart

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...e-linked-firm/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment