Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

University of Wisconsin stands by 'Problem of Whiteness' course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    If the course was renamed to "The problems of colonialism and the colonialist mindset" while retaining largely the same content, would that pass muster? Is mention of "whiteness" just a trigger-word for you guys for subjects that have been discussed by reasonable people for a century?
    Pretty sure "problem" in the course description is intended to be taken more in context of postmodernism than in a simply practical sense.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Do you think that the professor here is not an academic?
      The subject is not really an academic topic. It is a purely political one.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The question was posed to Jedidiah, who considered 'academic' to be the key term here. Until he answers, I have not missed anything at all here.
        The key word as applied to the course.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          Ah, sorry: I missed that post. The only discussion of a course description I'd noticed was in the OP. Thanks for pointing it out.

But even in the context of the full course description, I don't even feel like it's a stretch to say that "institutional racism" is meaningfully distinct from segregation-era personal prejudice or eugenic theory.
          " . . . unconsciously perpetuate institutional racism . . . " present tense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            " . . . unconsciously perpetuate institutional racism . . . " present tense.
            Read more carefully, please. I asserted that institutional racism is distinct from segregation-era racial prejudice.

Comment

"Have you ever wondered what it really means to be white? If you're like most people, the answer is probably 'no.' But here is your chance!," reads the course description.
              "In this class, we will ask what an ethical white identity entails, what it means to be #woke, and consider the journal Race Traitor's motto, 'treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.'"
              The course description says it includes readings from W.E.B. Du Bois, Ta-Nehisi Coates and the professor's own article analyzing Rachel Dolezal.

Where is it asserted that to be white is to be racist?
              you are looking at the op not the later post Here where Bill shows the class description written by the professor. where is clearly states that whites are raciest

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                you are looking at the op not the later post Here where Bill shows the class description written by the professor. where is clearly states that whites are raciest
                Yeah, thanks. But if you look at my latest posts you'll see I've since addressed this.

Comment

Read more carefully, please. I asserted that institutional racism is distinct from segregation-era racial prejudice.
                  I will reread later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/23/health...rnd/index.html

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is offering a course next semester called "The Problem of Whiteness," and it's not sitting well with a Republican legislator.
                    Wisconsin Rep. Dave Murphy, who is also the chairman of the Assembly Committee on Colleges and Universities, has asked the university to cancel the course, saying it prompts racial division.

"I am extremely concerned that UW-Madison finds it appropriate to teach a course called, 'The Problem of Whiteness,' with the premise that white people are racist," Murphy said in a statement this week. He even threatened to pull funding for the state university.
                    The course, taught by Professor Damon Sajnani, is part of the African Cultural Studies program at the university's College of Letters and Science.
                    "Have you ever wondered what it really means to be white? If you're like most people, the answer is probably 'no.' But here is your chance!," reads the course description.
                    "In this class, we will ask what an ethical white identity entails, what it means to be #woke, and consider the journal Race Traitor's motto, 'treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.'"
                    The course description says it includes readings from W.E.B. Du Bois, Ta-Nehisi Coates and the professor's own article analyzing Rachel Dolezal.
                    Murphy said the university must discontinue the class.
                    "If UW-Madison stands with this professor, I don't know how the university can expect the taxpayers to stand with UW-Madison," he wrote.
                    The university defended its curriculum and said it takes pride in offering a variety of courses.
                    "We believe this course, which is one of thousands offered at our university, will benefit students who are interested in developing a deeper understanding of race issues. The course is a challenge and response to racism of all kinds," read the university statement
                    Murphy also questioned the university's decision to have Sajnani teach the course.
                    "Even more troubling, the course is taught by a self-described 'international radical' professor whose views are a slap in the face to the taxpayers who are expected to pay for this garbage," said Murphy.
                    In his statement, he referred to Sajnani's controversial tweets on topics such as police brutality and the Ku Klux Klan.
                    Murphy was joined in his criticism by Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke, who wrote on Twitter, "This is racism against white people. ALL racism is wrong."

The professor is standing by his class and continues to share messages of support on his Twitter page.
                    "Good day haters! Keep fueling me with your Tomfoolery. The angrier whites are about interrogating their identity the greater is the need for it," he stated on Twitter.

"My only complaint about this course is that I already graduated from the UW and can't take it," one person posted.
                    Self fulfilling, anyone?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Is there something specific you disagree with in this professor's course? Do you think the professor should be censored or fired?

Um, besides being irrational and racist itself, you mean?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Where is it asserted that to be white is to be racist?
                        Seems to me that they assert that to be white is to be inherently evil, an even more serious accusation.

And lol @ an academic course including the writings of Ta-Nehisi Coates, a double digit IQ manchild who couldn't produce a serious thought if his life depended on it.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                          If the course was renamed to "The problems of colonialism and the colonialist mindset" while retaining largely the same content, would that pass muster? Is mention of "whiteness" just a trigger-word for you guys for subjects that have been discussed by reasonable people for a century?
                          So it would be ok and reasonable to accuse all Blacks as being lazy because of the color of their skin, right Starlight.
                          Last edited by RumTumTugger; 12-23-2016, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Wrong word, guys - you're looking for 'irrational'.

Academic freedom has limits - if you want to teach racist rantings you can do so - but you shouldn't be charging people for it and you REALLY shouldn't be pretending that this somehow augments actual education.

Neither does basket weaving - which I'd love to take - or a host of other things. People pay good money for degrees that are supposed to help them get somewhere in life. This kind of irrational racism doesn't do that - and isn't arguably a good idea for an elective, either.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Wrong word, guys - you're looking for 'irrational'.

Academic freedom has limits - if you want to teach racist rantings you can do so - but you shouldn't be charging people for it and you REALLY shouldn't be pretending that this somehow augments actual education.

Neither does basket weaving - which I'd love to take - or a host of other things. People pay good money for degrees that are supposed to help them get somewhere in life. This kind of irrational racism doesn't do that - and isn't arguably a good idea for an elective, either.
                              needs moar postmodernism

Comment

OOh, I gotta find that one when I have time - and I'd love to take you on on that! I take the position that they are mildly variant faces of the same thing.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment