Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

University of Wisconsin stands by 'Problem of Whiteness' course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    That's a meaningless term Rob.
    Tell that to Jedidiah. He said that should be the key word.
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Tell that to Jedidiah. He said that should be the key word.
      In the class, yes. Not the Professor himself.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In the class, yes. Not the Professor himself.
        Do you believe the course is not an academic course?

Comment

Do you believe the course is not an academic course?
          Define "academic".
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Define "academic".
            Last edited by robrecht; 12-23-2016, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Seer's right. For a really smart guy, you sure seem to miss a lot. When you ask if the class is "academic", if you mean it is something that is being taught, then yes. If you mea something of VALUE is being taught, then no.
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It is admittedly and unapologetically racist, and the professor revels in that very fact.

Not in cases like this. Some things simply don't need to be taught.
                There may be some value in understandingthe perspectives of others, don't you think?

Comment

There may be some value in understanding the perspectives of others, don't you think?
                  Again, too vague to mean anything.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Seer's right. For a really smart guy, you sure seem to miss a lot. When you ask if the class is "academic", if you mean it is something that is being taught, then yes. If you mea something of VALUE is being taught, then no.
                    The question was posed to Jedidiah, who considered 'academic' to be the key term here. Until he answers, I have not missed anything at all here.

Comment

Again, too vague to mean anything.
                      You are the one who believes the professor and university president should be fired. I still think that it is you who should provide some specifics. I have merely posed a question to you.

Comment

You are the one who believes the professor and university president should be fired. I still think that it is you who should provide some specifics. I have merely posed a question to you.
                        You posed a vague question that has no concrete meaning to it. How much value is "some", and at what point is "some" not enough to warrant teaching it? And what perspectives are unacceptable? Should we teach on the value of the KKK on male bonding rituals? There just isn't anything concrete in your question to actually engage.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Nothing specific about the course?
                          Yes, are you dense, from the article: 'The Problem of Whiteness,' with the premise that white people are racist" That is a false premise. And you know very well that if a course began with the premise that blacks are racist or lazy, that professor would be fired. And you know it.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You posed a vague question that has no concrete meaning to it. How much value is "some", and at what point is "some" not enough to warrant teaching it? And what perspectives are unacceptable? Should we teach on the value of the KKK on male bonding rituals? There just isn't anything concrete in your question to actually engage.
                            You can avoid the question if you want, but I am just asking if you have any specific information about the course that justifies your contention that the professor and university president should both be fired. Should your opinion on the employment of others not be questioned for some reason?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Yes, are you dense, from the article: 'The Problem of Whiteness,' with the premise that white people are racist" That is a false premise. And you know very well that if a course began with the premise that blacks are racist or lazy, that professor would be fired. And you know it.
                              That is the opinion of a local politician. Has he taken the course? Should individual politicians be making decisions about what should be taught in universities? Are there not more appropriate bodies for making such decisions?

Comment

You can avoid the question if you want,
                                I'm not avoiding anything. I'm asking you to ask something that can be quantified.

but I am just asking if you have any specific information about the course that justifies your contention that the professor and university president should both be fired.
                                Seer already answered that. But here's the course description:

Should your opinion on the employment of others not be questioned for some reason?
                                Question away. But make your questions actually mean something instead of vague "some value" nonsense. And in response to my calling for the professor's job, it comes with clear precedent:

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/11/...arks-in-class/
                                http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/22815/
                                http://www.inquisitr.com/3581321/bla...efinite-leave/
                                http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...st_tweets.html
                                https://diversitychronicle.wordpress...omology-class/
                                http://time.com/3882330/duke-professor-racist-comments/

So, as you can see, academia is rife with instances of calls for termination of alleged racism.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment