Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It might be "alarming" for those civilians trapped in Ukrainian cities.
    More alarming for the mercenaries.

Think about it: They'd be shot at by Ukrainians and shelled by the Russians. They have no backup, no possible escape route, they'd be killed easily by defenders who know the city layout. Unlike the deserts of Syria where they might find some friendly enclaves of combatants, they won't find them in Ukraine.

It will be a suicide mission. Maybe they want Putin to send the money to their widows.

ETA: Furthermore, they don't know the language so they won't be able to blend in. And they have to ask themselves "Why does Putin want us to do this? Why doesn't he send in his own troops?" Again, suicide mission.
    Last edited by Ronson; 03-18-2022, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Shades of Hedley Lamarr's recruitment programme, but no chewing gum on line unless you have brought enough for everyone.

On a serious note and given that yesterday was St Patrick's Day, the British recruited the Black and Tans from former WW1 veterans and they were not noted for their humanity.
      The last time Blazing Saddles played on TV it was on from 9:00 to 9:07 -- after all the non-PC humor was edited out

Mercenaries are never overly concerned about such things as the Geneva Convention or human rights when they're on the job. It is amazing that anyone would expect them too (keep in mind they can be summarily executed on the spot according to the Geneva Convention so it's no surprise that they don't think much of it).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This was alarming news. From the BBC six days ago. Clearly the use of criminals and others is not likely to produce troops overly concerned with the Geneva Conventions and the article already notes human rights abuses in Syria and Libya. Street to street fighting is not a pleasant prospect for civilians trapped in cities and town.
        Interesting that the article you cite focuses on Russia but doesn't say one word about the skyrocketing crime rates happening in Ukraine right now thanks to the Ukrainian government indiscriminately handing out weapons to civilians, including rival gangs, not to mention Ukraine's own Azov regiment that is not above hiding among civilians and baiting the Russian army into attacking.

It's why I keep saying that as far as governments involved in this conflict are concerned, there are no good guys.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Interesting that the article you cite focuses on Russia but doesn't say one word about the skyrocketing crime rates happening in Ukraine right now thanks to the Ukrainian government indiscriminately handing out weapons to civilians, including rival gangs, not to mention Ukraine's own Azov regiment that is not above hiding among civilians and baiting the Russian army into attacking.

It's why I keep saying that as far as governments involved in this conflict are concerned, there are no good guys.
          And Ukraine is encouraging people from other countries (mercs) to come help them.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The last time Blazing Saddles played on TV it was on from 9:00 to 9:07 -- after all the non-PC humor was edited out
            I trust you are jesting? It's a classic

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Mercenaries are never overly concerned about such things as the Geneva Convention or human rights when they're on the job. It is amazing that anyone would expect them too (keep in mind they can be summarily executed on the spot according to the Geneva Convention so it's no surprise that they don't think much of it).
            It is a worrying scenario for civilians caught up in any future incidents with such forces.

"It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

And Ukraine is encouraging people from other countries (mercs) to come help them.
              I think that has more in common with the Spanish Civil War where people chose to go and fight against the forces of fascism.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

WSJ has a fairly insightful and in-depth analysis on why the Russian invasion of Ukraine has faced so many set backs: How Russia’s Revamped Military Fumbled the Invasion of Ukraine

tl;dr version: it has been a colossal screwup from day one. The Russians aren't even following their own fundamentals and virtually everything in broken or out of fuel.
                What this tells us is that except for having nukes, Russia's military is so inept, it can't even conquer one basically unarmed country, much less claim to be a world power. Nukes are their only ace in the hole. Which is scary because Putin might decide he has to use them. But in a conventional war, Russia doesn't stand a chance against NATO and he knows it. I think that other than just not wanting to get into a war with Russia if we can help it, NATO is just watching and waiting for Russia to deplete their army in Ukraine, making them that much weaker if they decide to try to attack Europe.
                Last edited by Sparko; 03-18-2022, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I trust you are jesting? It's a classic
                  And will never be played on TV except maybe on cable (and probably in a redacted form) again.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                  It is a worrying scenario for civilians caught up in any future incidents with such forces.
                  Some things will never change.

Comment

And will never be played on TV except maybe on cable (and probably in a redacted form) again.
                    Mel Brooks has often lamented that a movie like Blazing Saddles could never be made in today's politically correct culture.

For that matter, I was watching Futurama last night, and in the episode "Bend Her", Bender the robot, who is an unambiguously male character, entered the Olympics as a female so that he could win some gold medals. "I guess it takes a real man to show you how to be a woman!" he quipped. And that episode first aired 20-years ago! A hilariously prescient storyline that could never be made today.

Comment

Mel Brooks has often lamented that a movie like Blazing Saddles could never be made in today's politically correct culture.

For that matter, I was watching Futurama last night, and in the episode "Bend Her", Bender the robot, who is an unambiguously male character, entered the Olympics as a female so that he could win some gold medals. "I guess it takes a real man to show you how to be a woman!" he quipped. And that episode first aired 20-years ago! A hilariously prescient storyline that could never be made today.
                      He identified as "Coilette"

Comment

He identified as "Coilette"
                        From Robonia.

Comment

I'm not following (I haven't seen "Blazing Saddles" in several decades). Is it the race jokes or some sex jokes that are the pc issue you're talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'm not following (I haven't seen "Blazing Saddles" in several decades). Is it the race jokes or some sex jokes that are the pc issue you're talking about?
                            Yes.

Comment

Yes.
                              IIRC, Richard Pryor wrote the black/white race jokes, so I guess that makes him non-pc. Brooks said Pryor was supposed to play the part of Bart, but he went on a binge and Cleavon Little got the part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

IIRC, Richard Pryor wrote the black/white race jokes, so I guess that makes him non-pc. Brooks said Pryor was supposed to play the part of Bart, but he went on a binge and Cleavon Little got the part.
                                Little nailed it in his performance.

Comment