Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bank refuses mortgage for political reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank refuses mortgage for political reasons

I was turned down for a mortgage last week by the Royal Bank.

Rebel News was applying for a commercial mortgage to buy an office building in Calgary — our own place from which we could never be cancelled or de-platformed.

But even though our application was strong — we’re debt-free, thanks to our viewers — the Calgary banker said the head office in Toronto wanted to review it for politics. And because of our “strong opinions” about Trudeau, the Royal Bank decided to block us. Even though I’ve done all my personal banking at that Royal Bank branch for decades.
    THE PLAN

We wanted to buy an office building so that we could never be cancelled or deplatformed. And even before we bought it, we were cancelled and deplatformed.

I was so excited about the building.

It was going to be my big New Year’s announcement to our viewers: to tell you about our new office, not just for us at Rebel News, but for all conservatives sick of being deplatformed and cancelled.

And I tell you one more thing: in our building, we certainly wouldn’t be asking people nosy questions about their private medical status in order to work there or visit!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

I think it's unwise for a company to reject customers for political reasons. That would seem to invite potential customers to go elsewhere for political reasons.

Comment

Opens up quite a can of worms. Instead of violating the laws against religious prejudice, use an "unacceptable political views" ploy to justify refusal of goods or services.

"No your honour, I didn't refuse on the grounds of their sexual orientation or religion, but because their political views are unacceptable."
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Opens up quite a can of worms. Instead of violating the laws against religious prejudice, use an "unacceptable political views" ploy to justify refusal of goods or services.

"No your honour, I didn't refuse on the grounds of their sexual orientation or religion, but because their political views are unacceptable."
        Oh, some lib will argue that refusing service to democrats "disparately impacts" protected classes

Comment

If they did that in the USA, they would be violating the first amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            If they did that in the USA, they would be violating the first amendment.
            Is the "Royal Bank" a government entity? If not, how does 1A apply?
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              There is a list of things put out by the government of the things that it is illegal to discriminate against someone over which are race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. But it does not include political beliefs or affiliations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was thinking it was but after looking it up, it is not.

Comment

It isn’t, but it is behaving like the CBC and the rest of the msm here, who get federal cash (actually MY cash) to spread the government narrative.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment