Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Broken Promises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Wednesday, October 19th, 2016 in Las Vegas, during the third presidential debate:
    WALLACE: Well, let's pick up on another issue which divides you and the justices that whoever ends up winning this election appoints could have a dramatic effect there, and that's the issue of abortion.

TRUMP: Right.

WALLACE: Mr. Trump, you're pro-life. But I want to ask you specifically: Do you want the court, including the justices that you will name, to overturn Roe v. Wade, which includes -- in fact, states -- a woman's right to abortion?

TRUMP: Well, if that would happen, because I am pro-life, and I will be appointing pro-life judges, I would think that that will go back to the individual states.

WALLACE: But I'm asking you specifically. Would you like to...

TRUMP: If they overturned it, it will go back to the states.

WALLACE: But what I'm asking you, sir, is, do you want to see the court overturn -- you just said you want to see the court protect the Second Amendment. Do you want to see the court overturn Roe v. Wade?

TRUMP: Well, if we put another two or perhaps three justice on, that's really what's going to be -- that will happen. And that'll happen automatically, in my opinion, because I am putting pro-life justices on the court. I will say this: It will go back to the states, and the states will then make a determination.
    Hrm, fair enough.

It would take more than two or three justices, though. The only justices on the court who appeared interested in an actual overturning (to clarify: I mean a complete overturn, not a restriction) of Roe v. Wade were Scalia and Thomas, the former of which is the one being replaced. So at a minimum, you'd need four justices appointed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      Hrm, fair enough.

It would take more than two or three justices, though. The only justices on the court who appeared interested in an actual overturning (to clarify: I mean a complete overturn, not a restriction) of Roe v. Wade were Scalia and Thomas, the former of which is the one being replaced. So at a minimum, you'd need four justices appointed.
      I too doubt Trump will succeed in getting Roe v Wade overturned, even if that is his sincere intent, which I also doubt.
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        I too doubt Trump will succeed in getting Roe v Wade overturned, even if that is his sincere intent, which I also doubt.
        yeah, me too neither
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
          Been lurking for ages so no recent posts, but as someone who lost their father this year, my thoughts are with you Cow Poke. Best wishes for you and your family.
          Thank you, sir - it couldn't have gone any more wonderfully - he died peacefully in his sleep after a good long life of Christian service surrounded by loving family members.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment