Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Catholic Bishops - on Denying Communion to Pro-Abortion Politicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic Bishops - on Denying Communion to Pro-Abortion Politicians

Catholic Bishops Expected to Take Vote on Denying Communion to Pro-Abortion Politicians

Yes, it's "religion", but Biden has made it political by claiming that the Pope told him he could continue to receive Communion.

The debate of whether or not pro-abortion politicians, such as President Biden, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA0, and Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY) should receive Holy Communion is at the center of a draft document the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is expected to vote on Wednesday, ABC News reported.

As I covered on Monday, the ongoing debate surrounding pro-abortion politicians recieving Holy Communion has been at the forefront since “devout Catholic” Biden assumed office. Reportedly, the document at the center of the USCCB conference in Baltimore this week will clarify who is worthy of receiving Communion, but will not call out any pro-abortion politician by name.

According to a report this week by the Associated Press, the draft states that “[l]ay people who exercise some form of public authority have a special responsibility to embody Church teaching.”

One of the bishops on the committee drafting the document, Bishop Michael Olson, told AP that it should “avoid any trace of partisan politics” but notes that Biden’s abortion stance has “upped the scale of scandal.”

“He’s gone on record as saying abortion is a fundamental right while presenting himself as an exemplary Catholic,” he told AP. “The issue of public confusion is really at stake here.”

Last month, Biden met with Pope Francis at the Vatican, where he told reporters afterwards that the pontiff is “happy I’m a good Catholic and I should keep receiving Communion.” He noted that abortion did not come up during their closed-door 90-minute meeting.

Last week, Pelosi’s archbishop in her home diocese of San Francisco, Archbishop Salvatore Cordileon, told America Magazine in an interview that he doesn’t believe the Pope said “exactly that” to Biden.

“I tend to believe that the pope didn’t say that, or at least exactly that,” Cordileone said in the interview. “Many people in a position of leadership have had the experience that I’ve had, where often I say one thing and people hear something else. People tend to hear what they want to hear.”

Additionally, America Magazine conducted an interview, published last week, with Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL). In the interview, the Catholic senator explained that he’s been unable to receive Communion at his home diocese in Springfield, Illinois since 2004 due to his pro-abortion voting record.

Note that Archbishop Salvatore Cordileon outright says that he doesn't believe the Pope really told Biden what Biden claims.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder if the Bishops plan on asking the Pope if he said that to Biden.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is this the same pope who thinks that Jews and Muslims are good Christians?
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Is this the same pope who thinks that Jews and Muslims are good Christians?
          You HAD to bring that up, eh?

(so maybe the Pope DID tell Biden..... )

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You HAD to bring that up, eh?

(so maybe the Pope DID tell Biden..... )
            The pope seems pretty liberal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The pope seems pretty liberal to me.
              Yeah, but Communion to abortion supporters... would he go THAT far? Apparently, the Bishops don't think so.

Comment

Yeah, but Communion to abortion supporters... would he go THAT far? Apparently, the Bishops don't think so.
                I predict this vote will fail and be quietly swept under the rug. And nobody will mention the pope and what he really thinks. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I predict this vote will fail and be quietly swept under the rug. And nobody will mention the pope and what he really thinks. I hope I am wrong.
                  Yeah, I don't know enough about the system to have a sense of where this will go, if at all.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know enough about the system to have a sense of where this will go, if at all.
                    Rome doesn't usually allow priests a lot of latitude in decisions, but I'm expecting copious amounts of water and very clean hands on the part of the hierarchy for this one.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Rome doesn't usually allow priests a lot of latitude in decisions, but I'm expecting copious amounts of water and very clean hands on the part of the hierarchy for this one.
                      Yeah, I don't know how influential these Bishops are, but I still find it interesting that one of them has publicly expressed doubt over Biden's claim.

Comment

Did the pope or Vatican ever confirm old Joe's claim?

A decade or so ago Pelosi met with Benedict and made all sorts of claims about what was said causing the pope to dress her down and refuse to have a picture taken of them together.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Are you guys saying here that the current President might be..........................a LIAR???????????????????????????????

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Are you guys saying here that the current President might be..........................a LIAR???????????????????????????????

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.
                            Technically, one has to know that what one says is untrue for it to be a lie --- with Biden, it could have just been the voices.

Comment

Pretty stupid. A significant number of Catholics don't follow Church tenets. Are they going to withhold communion from roughly half of all Catholics?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...u-s-catholics/
                              Only 1/3rd of Catholics believe in transubstantiation.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...ng-roe-v-wade/
                              56% of Catholics believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases

https://www.pewforum.org/2018/08/29/...-and-policy-2/
                              51% of Catholics believe abortion is morally acceptable or not a moral issue

Comment