Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats want to censure rep Gosar for stupid anime video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When all is said and done, a Congressional censure is little more then a sternly worded letter, so what's the point
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      This takes the cake, after two years of democrats encouraging people to harass republican politicians in public, they are now upset at a stupid Anime video depicting (supposedly) Rep Gosar attacking AOC.

House set to punish Gosar for violent video depicting killing of Ocasio-Cortez

“We have to address it immediately," Speaker Nancy Pelosi said. "It’s outrageous on the part of the Republican leadership not to act upon this.”

Rep. Paul Gosar speaks on Capitol Hill. | Andrew Harnik/AP Photo
      By NICHOLAS WU and HEATHER CAYGLE
      11/17/2021 11:55 AM EST
      Updated: 11/17/2021 02:35 PM EST

The House is set to censure Rep. Paul Gosar and boot him from his committees Wednesday over a violent social media post, representing a rare rebuke of a colleague that Speaker Nancy Pelosi deemed an "emergency."
      Censures are uncommon in the House, with the last formal admonishment of a member in this manner occurring more than a decade ago. But Pelosi and Democratic leaders moved quickly toward the punishment after Gosar posted an anime video last week that depicted him killing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and attacking President Joe Biden.

“Violence against women, workplace harassment, legal matters in terms of threatening a member and threatening the president of the United States,” Pelosi said. “We have to address it immediately … it’s outrageous on the part of the Republican leadership not to act upon this.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...c-video-522794

Here is the video:

Sometimes Congress still finds ways to amaze me at what they will waste time and our taxpayer money doing while raking in their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        When all is said and done, a Congressional censure is little more then a sternly worded letter, so what's the point
        But it shows how incredibly petty the Democrats can be.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, I didn't expect Attack on Titan to somehow end up in the realm of politics.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I like the music. Very epic sounding.
          The fairly epic theme song of Attack on Titan was something that helped the anime get attention. Linked Horizon, the band who made it did several other openings for the series (anime typically change up their theme song every 13 episodes, so if a series goes on for a while it ends up with a lot of different theme songs), so you might like them also:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWFpzi8C94
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKP-vZvjbh8
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dK7JgKivQM

Actually, all of those, including the one that the retweeted video was based on, are shortened forms of the original songs--it's fairly typical for anime theme songs to be excerpted from a longer song, to incentivize people to go out and buy the full thing if they like it. Here's the full original song (though obviously, without visuals):
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7dCgtwX2c

Comment

Ive always seen the expression mocked, opposed to any pearl clutching.
            Screenshot_20211031-223120_Reddit.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

What should we be seeing in this picture? A room full of democrats bullying a republican?
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                What should we be seeing in this picture? A room full of democrats bullying a republican?
                No, just the type of muppet who thinks 'go Brandon' isn't laughable

Comment

No, just the type of muppet who thinks 'go Brandon' isn't laughable
                  From the people who brought us Drumpf, Tiny Hands, and a giant baby Trump balloon.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Vote approved 223 to 207 with Cheny voting with the Democrats.
                    Also (M)adam Edited by a Moderator, right?
                    Last edited by Cerebrum123; 11-18-2021, 09:16 AM.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Wasn't there also something about losing committee assignments?
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Video was dopey, low-quality. The "violence" was probably worthy of a "tsk tsk" and a finger-wag definitely not censure.

I find myself agreeing (with mild reluctance) with Dinesh D'Souza: If and when we get back in power, we need to abandon being the mature, "we're better than that" party. We need to be just as petty as they are, and play just as dirty as they do, so they understand that from now on, there will be consequences.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Check out the Washington Post and CNN for some of the hilarious pearl clutching. They're mortified over this while they cheered on and supported the same thing for four years when directed against Trump.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Video was dopey, low-quality. The "violence" was probably worthy of a "tsk tsk" and a finger-wag definitely not censure.

I find myself agreeing (with mild reluctance) with Dinesh D'Souza: If and when we get back in power, we need to abandon being the mature, "we're better than that" party. We need to be just as petty as they are, and play just as dirty as they do, so they understand that from now on, there will be consequences.
                            I can't criticize any good parody of the amazing Attack on Titan anime series, but that being said, I cannot condone an elected official making such a video.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Check out the Washington Post and CNN for some of the hilarious pearl clutching. They're mortified over this while they cheered on and supported the same thing for four years when directed against Trump.
                              To clarify:

That's the chant heard all over the country thanks to the NBC ditz who tried to cover up that a crowd was chanting "F-bomb Joe Biden" after a NASCAR race pretending they were saying "Let's Go Brandon" (Brandon Brown won the race), a claim that resulted in widespread ridicule and mockery.

What's amusing now is how both the Washington Post and CNN have decried the chant with the former decrying that it and the original version, are "vulgar" and with the latter naturally blaming Trump. What's ironic is that both WaPo and CNN have long cheered on such crass demonstrations when directed against Trump and Republicans. Then it was perfectly acceptable and understandable.

45017cf1-23d0-4abe-a0cb-68cadac857e3.jpg
                              Here is just one of many examples of how the WaPo had no trouble with
                              people saying "vulgar" things not all that long ago.

Over on CNN, Maggie Haberman (who is a political analyst for the network as well as the New York Times White House correspondent) reluctantly admitted that such behavior is nothing new but insisted that in some unexplained way this was somehow "different." It appears that by "different" she means that previously they were directed at people the MSM dislikes, which of course makes it acceptable.

In several of these discussions those upset at the chant insisted they come from rightwing extremists, but the fact is that such chants seem to have originated on a number of college campuses -- not exactly hotbeds of conservatism. Moreover, songs based upon "Let's Go Brandon" are now topping the lists as most popular song -- including rap. Again, not a bastion of conservatism if the industry's reaction to Kayne West is any indication.

Rapper Bryson Gray's song "Let's Go Brandon " is number one on iTunes (IIRC, Apple as well), beating out pop music superstar Adele’s latest release. And at #3 is another "Let's Go Brandon" song.

Bryson-Gray-Banned-YT-Misinformation_840x480-1.jpg
                              The face of right wing extremism today

In fact 4 out of the 5 top rap/hip-hop songs are titled "Let's Go Brandon"
                              4-top-hip-hop-rap-itunes-lets-go-brandon.jpg
                              Right wing extremism is sure different that what I imagined

It should be noted that both YouTube and Instagram have banned Gray's song. YouTube claims for disseminating "medical misinformation" -- in a song . I'm sure we can expect other songs like Melissa Manchester’s “Don’t Cry Out Loud” where she tells people to bottle up and suppress all of their emotions

Don’t cry out loud
                              Just keep it inside, learn how to hide your feelings
                              Fly high and proud
                              And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all

and numerous other songs with questionable medical advice to start disappearing from YouTube any day now.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either.

In any case, it is still getting out there for everyone to see

Even by those too senile to realize that
                              they are being mocked

Comment

I can't criticize any good parody of the amazing Attack on Titan anime series, but that being said, I cannot condone an elected official making such a video.
                                But I don't think it deserves a congressional hearing - this would be better for a public call-out, or maybe even part of a political campaign blasting him.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment