Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats expect CBO to show shortfall on Biden's bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democrats expect CBO to show shortfall on Biden's bill

Full Headline...
    Democrats expect CBO to show shortfall on Biden's bill as White House moves to ease concerns

It appears that the Dems know full well that their MASSIVE spending isn't going to be nearly as "cost free" as they claim, so they're making a preemptive strike against the CBO, claiming they just don't understand how all this works.

(CNN)The White House and top Democrats are expecting a highly anticipated estimate from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office to show that their sweeping plan to expand the social safety net will fail to meet President Joe Biden's promise to not add to the federal deficit.

But behind the scenes, they have been launching a preemptive strike for weeks to prepare their colleagues for that likelihood, arguing that the CBO numbers would diverge from the White House's projections that $320 billion would be raised by increased tax enforcement, a difference the administration says stems from the different methods used to calculate the revenue gained.

The question now facing Democratic leaders is whether those assurances from the White House will be enough to assuage moderates, who have withheld their support for the roughly $1.9 trillion bill until information from the CBO show its costs are offset."I am undecided on the bill," said Rep. Elissa Slotkin, a vulnerable Democrat from a swing district in Michigan. "I remain undecided on the bill. I want to see these scores, and I want to make sure I understand the details before I cast a vote."Democratic leaders have very little margin for error, since they can only lose three votes to pass the bill that they are hoping gets a final vote as soon as Thursday."We want to have the confidence that what we fiscally have said is the reality in the bill is the reality," House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said Tuesday.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Full Headline...
    Democrats expect CBO to show shortfall on Biden's bill as White House moves to ease concerns

It appears that the Dems know full well that their MASSIVE spending isn't going to be nearly as "cost free" as they claim, so they're making a preemptive strike against the CBO, claiming they just don't understand how all this works.

(CNN)The White House and top Democrats are expecting a highly anticipated estimate from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office to show that their sweeping plan to expand the social safety net will fail to meet President Joe Biden's promise to not add to the federal deficit.

But behind the scenes, they have been launching a preemptive strike for weeks to prepare their colleagues for that likelihood, arguing that the CBO numbers would diverge from the White House's projections that $320 billion would be raised by increased tax enforcement, a difference the administration says stems from the different methods used to calculate the revenue gained.

The question now facing Democratic leaders is whether those assurances from the White House will be enough to assuage moderates, who have withheld their support for the roughly $1.9 trillion bill until information from the CBO show its costs are offset."I am undecided on the bill," said Rep. Elissa Slotkin, a vulnerable Democrat from a swing district in Michigan. "I remain undecided on the bill. I want to see these scores, and I want to make sure I understand the details before I cast a vote."Democratic leaders have very little margin for error, since they can only lose three votes to pass the bill that they are hoping gets a final vote as soon as Thursday."We want to have the confidence that what we fiscally have said is the reality in the bill is the reality," House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said Tuesday.
    Democrats, better detectives than the FBI, better economists and statisticians than the CBO.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Democrats, better detectives than the FBI, better economists and statisticians than the CBO.
      I'm so glad SOMEBODY gets it!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Don't worry, the rich will pay for it.

In other news, the average US citizen is suddenly considered filthy rich by the Democrat party.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Don't worry, the rich will pay for it.

In other news, the average US citizen is suddenly considered filthy rich by the Democrat party.
          It's very telling, though, that the Democrats know their "costs zero dollars" claim is an outright lie that they have to prepare people for "CBO doesn't really understand how this works".

Comment

What you mean it's not free? But Biden promised!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              What you mean it's not free? But Biden promised!!!!
              You, sir, have answered your own question.

Comment

You, sir, have answered your own question.
                But the cost will be offset by all the free stuff I get. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But the cost will be offset by all the free stuff I get. Right?
                  Get your hand out of my pocket!

Comment

You can afford pockets?

Comment

As Barack Obama famously said, "Now is the time for all Americans to dig deep in their pockets and give to those less fortunate than themselves. You go first!"**

** May not be an actual quote.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment