Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbre...h=14aa01906493
    There have been 147 mass shootings this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which defines a mass shooting as when four or more people have been shot or killed, not including the shooter.
    The U.S. was wracked by a record high 610 mass shootings in 2020, the most of any year since the organization began tracking the number in 2014.

Typical (Median) Annual Death Rate per Million People from Mass Public Shootings (U.S., Canada, and Europe, 2009-2015):
    1. United States — 0.058
    2. Albania — 0
    3. Austria — 0
    4. Belgium — 0
    5. Czech Republic — 0
    6. Finland — 0
    7. France — 0
    8. Germany — 0
    9. Italy — 0
    10. Macedonia — 0
    11. Netherlands — 0
    12. Norway — 0
    13. Russia — 0
    14. Serbia — 0
    15. Slovakia — 0
    16. Switzerland — 0
    17. United Kingdom

This is a chart of the median, using the same data as the chart of the average (post #83.) The article here points out how the methodology for producing the table in post #83 is flawed.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am not following you down your flowery path in your attempt to derail this thread. If you want to start your own thread you know what to do.
      Irony-Meter-Explode.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        First. You are once again trying to kick someone out of a thread that you didn't start. You have a real annoying habit of trying to do that.

Second. did not make a "suggestion."

Again, if a person demonstrates no desire to rehabilitate, that's his/her own choice.

It takes a lot of distorting and misunderstanding to twist that into a "suggestion."

That was why I asked you why you mischaracterized it as such.
        I am not trying to kick you out this thread I am simply not following you down your flowery path.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am not trying to kick you out this thread I am simply not following you down your flowery path.
          Yet, here you are, doing exactly what you say you're not doing.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Your source said that "In other countries, bombings, mass stabbings, and car attacks frequently kill more people than even the deadliest mass shootings in the United States." That would suggest that his examples would be of attacks that killed more people than the deadliest shootings in the US. But they aren't. The data do not support the conclusion.
            Worst shooting in U.S.: 59 dead.

Worst Shooting in Europe: 67 dead Norway 2011 (another 8 via a car bomb)

Worst vehicle attack in Europe: 87 dead in France 2016

I can provide multiple examples of where bombings killed far more than either.
            So can I. But a few examples of bombings won't justify the "frequently" I was taking exception to. Nor the "mass stabbings".
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, the guns jump out of houses and magically fly to schools and other places and kill people, right?

It's not a gun problem, Roy - it's a people problem.
              Since the comparison was guns vs knives/bombs/vehicles, that comment isn't relevant since knives, bombs and cars don't magically jump out of houses either. It's just a distraction.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yet, here you are, doing exactly what you say you're not doing.
                She spends more time proclaiming that she won't answer why she mischaracterized your statement as a "suggestion" than she ever would have needed to simply answer it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Since the comparison was guns vs knives/bombs/vehicles, that comment isn't relevant since knives, bombs and cars don't magically jump out of houses either. It's just a distraction.
                  So you acknowledge it isn't a "gun problem" but a "people problem"?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

She spends more time proclaiming that she won't answer why she mischaracterized your statement as a "suggestion" than she ever would have needed to simply answer it.
                    She loves going down the flowery path with you so she can proclaim she's not going down the flowery path, while enjoying the flowers on the way.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

She loves going down the flowery path with you so she can proclaim she's not going down the flowery path, while enjoying the flowers on the way.
                      Tiptoe through the window
                      By the window, that is where I'll be
                      Come tiptoe through the tulips with me
                      Oh, tiptoe from the garden
                      By the garden of the willow tree
                      And tiptoe through the tulips with me

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Tiptoe through the window
                        By the window, that is where I'll be
                        Come tiptoe through the tulips with me
                        Oh, tiptoe from the garden
                        By the garden of the willow tree
                        And tiptoe through the tulips with me
                        I remember that appearance on Johnny Carson, and just sat there like.... WUT??!?!?!?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I remember that appearance on Johnny Carson, and just sat there like.... WUT??!?!?!?!?
                          Too young to have stayed up for Carson but saw him several times on Laugh-In

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            So you acknowledge it isn't a "gun problem" but a "people problem"?
                            You know I didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              You know I didn't.
                              There was hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                You know I didn't.
                                I had hope given that you acknowledged that things like guns, knives and bombs "don't magically jump out of houses." But I guess that was just a bit too far of a step for you. Too bad. You were so close to.

Comment