Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

If you don't mind me asking, what denomination were you, or what church did you attend?
    WELS, as I noted earlier this thread.
    Because what you are describing is unlike anything I've ever personally experienced
    Of course it's not, because you're on the inside without a real frame of reference. To those on the outside, we can see the reality of the religion, especially if we have come from the inside and left to the outside. Those who are part of it are blind to the internal problems

Comment

• Mountain Man

Matt 5:18 "For truly I say to you, until the time that heaven and earth might pass away, neither jot nor tittle will pass from the law, until the time that all might be fulfilled."

How many conditions are possible?
      How many conditions must be met before the least part of the law will pass?
      Last edited by tabibito; 09-15-2021, 12:24 PM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

What's your point?
        Looks like she is correctly noting that your "ritual purity" gymnastics that you just used to avoid having to follow the clothing and food stuff that are inconvenient to you,, are in reality moot when it comes to this, as homosexuality is the same as those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
          Thing is, the homosexuality ones are those ritual purity codes, despite claims that it is the moral ones.
          What scripture do you think supports this assertion?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What scripture do you think supports this assertion?
            The fact that the same exact word for homosexuality as for those other things (clothes, food, etc.). As Hypatia noted (correctly). Homosexuality was part of that ritual purity code.

Comment

WELS, as I noted earlier this thread.

Of course it's not, because you're on the inside without a real frame of reference. To those on the outside, we can see the reality of the religion, especially if we have come from the inside and left to the outside. Those who are part of it are blind to the internal problems
              Honestly, the way you describe things, it really does sound like you might have gotten yourself mixed up in a legalistic, cult-like church, which is unfortunate.

Comment

The fact that the same exact word for homosexuality as for those other things (clothes, food, etc.). As Hypatia noted (correctly). Homosexuality was part of that ritual purity code.
                uh no. Homosexuality is condemned in multiple places in the NT also, and it falls under "sexual immorality" not "ritual purity" - it is a moral code.

Comment

That the same word is used in general to describe something does not mean that it is the same thing.

I'll bet if you try you can come up with a half dozen examples of just that sort of thing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The interpretation does not rest on that one word.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

uh no. Homosexuality is condemned in multiple places in the NT also, and it falls under "sexual immorality" not "ritual purity" - it is a moral code.
                      Homosexuality cannot be "condemned in multiple places in the NT" as the term was not coined until the nineteenth century [and by yet another German]! Paul's views on prostitution and what he considered to be sexual immorality are more complex.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Homosexuality cannot be "condemned in multiple places in the NT" as the term was not coined until the nineteenth century [and by yet another German]! Paul's views on prostitution and what he considered to be sexual immorality are more complex.
                        Wow. So your argument is that "homosexuality" wasn't condemned because English wasn't invented yet (or German I guess) when they wrote the bible. Great job, H_A. you win the Internet!

Comment

Honestly, the way you describe things, it really does sound like you might have gotten yourself mixed up in a legalistic, cult-like church, which is unfortunate.
                          Nope, just your average conservative church. You're right on the cult part though. Funnily enough you're part of one right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Mountain Man

Matt 5:18 "For truly I say to you, until the time that heaven and earth might pass away, neither jot nor tittle will pass from the law, until the time that all might be fulfilled."

How many conditions are possible?
                            How many conditions must be met before the least part of the law will pass?
                            Answered before, but the law has not passed. It still exists, and we can still study and learn from it, but we are no longer bound by it since we are under a New Covenant through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-15-2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• N
                              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 09-15-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H_A
                                The same word תּוֹעֵבַה -abomination is used for eating unclean food or for what the Egyptians think of shepherds!.
                                It is also used for such activities as adultery (Ezekiel 22:11) and idolatry (Deut 7:26; Deut 13:13) including blood sacrifices to Moloch (Jer 32:35).. Or a wicked person's sacrificial offering (Proverbs 21:27) - all of which also violate the provisions of the New Covenant. In short, תּוֹעֵבַה can be used for just about any activity that offends God.
                                Of course "sacrificial offerings" are not the same in the New Covenant as they were in the Old.
                                Last edited by tabibito; 09-15-2021, 01:10 PM.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment