Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Old Testament is important because it provides the context to help us understand the New Testament.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Esther View Post

No, the NT has the most up to date information on these things!
      Well that's good to hear, that's better than most Christians!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        that's what all Christians do as Christians..

See above. That's what all Christians do and are trained to do from the very beginning. Most don't realize it, because og cognitive dissonance and effective brainwashing, until they break away and look at it from the outside ofbtheir faith.
        Your opinion is duly noted, especially given your agreement with this:
        Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        You forget that it's easy:

Any verse that agrees with what Mossrose happens to already believe or prejudices she happens to hold, is taken as literal and important, and anyone who thinks otherwise is "not really a Christian". Any verse that disagrees with what she happens to already believe or runs against prejudices she happens to hold, is Old Covenant and no longer applicable.

No thought is needed, just gut agreement or disagreement with any given verse. It's all about the feelings, not thoughts.
        I haven't unthinkingly accepted what I've been taught since I went to college, if not before. It's kind of difficult to go from Independent Fundamental Baptist to Eastern Orthodox without discarding some things I've been taught.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I prefer the term "Bible believing Christian".
          That works, too.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which is to say that while the law still exists, and it is still technically in effect, Jesus' sacrifice on the cross removed from us the obligation of living under it.
            Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            That is Paul's idea.

Perhaps you would be so good as to cite which one of Paul's letters you got that from (you can even use Acts since it quotes Paul frequently).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No, it's not, and you're not the first apostate who fancies himself as having been the quintessential believer and wrongly assumes that everybody else makes the same theological blunders he did. And honestly, the more you talk about your experience of being subjected to "brainwashing" that led to cognitive dissonance compels me to wonder if you were perhaps involved in a cult.
              Sorry but yes, it is. You've done so on this very thread. But you don't see it because you've been trained not to, trained to unknowingly practe it.

I'm sorry you don't like an honest description of how children are raised in Christianity. (But certainly, I would agree Christianity is a cult)
              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 09-15-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                You mean like the Decalogue?
                The Pentateuch, which would certainly include the decalogue, the other ten commandments, and many other commandments.

Comment

The Pentateuch, which would certainly include the decalogue, the other ten commandments, and many other commandments.
                  As MM tried to inform you, and which you mocked, there is a profound difference between ritual purity codes and the rules for conduct (moral laws). The former were fulfilled by Christ's sacrifice and are no longer in force.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As MM tried to inform you, and which you mocked, there is a profound difference between ritual purity codes and the rules for conduct (moral laws). The former were fulfilled by Christ's sacrifice and are no longer in force.
                    Again, I'm well aware of the mental gymnastics used to try to differentiate between the inconvenient laws and the ones that are in agreement with your worldview. Thing is, the homosexuality ones are those ritual purity codes, despite claims that it is the moral ones.

Comment

Again, I'm well aware of the mental gymnastics used to try to differentiate between the inconvenient laws and the ones that are in agreement with your worldview. Thing is, the homosexuality ones are those ritual purity codes, despite claims that it is the moral ones.

Yeah, it only goes back to Christ Himself saying that He came to fulfill the law.

Comment

Yeah, it only goes back to Christ Himself saying that He came to fulfill the law.
                        Fulfilling =/= the law no longer being followed. But if you wantto go that way then he fulfilled the homosexuity part too. Dont get to have your cake and eat it too..

He also said that until the end of heaven and earth not one jot or tittle of the law would change....

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what I said: "The ritual purity practices of the Old Covenant, like refraining from consuming certain foods, or not wearing fabrics made from mixed materials, are no longer binding on us because Jesus fulfilled the purpose of those laws so that those who have faith in him are considered pure and no longer need to practice ritual purity. Of course there are other laws, specifically moral laws -- do not lie, do not steal, do not commit adultery, do not commit homosexual acts, and so on -- that are still in effect and will always be in effect."
                          The same word תּוֹעֵבַה -abomination is used for eating unclean food or for what the Egyptians think of shepherds!.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Sorry but yes, it is. You've done so on this very thread. But you don't see it because you've been trained not to, trained to unknowingly practe it.

I'm sorry you don't like an honest description of how children are raised in Christianity. (But certainly, I would agree Christianity is a cult)
                            If you don't mind me asking, what denomination were you, or what church did you attend? Because what you are describing is unlike anything I've ever personally experienced

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The same word תּוֹעֵבַה -abomination is used for eating unclean food or for what the Egyptians think of shepherds!.
                              What's your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

The church will be purified and all the CINO's will be weeded out, as the tares were that Jesus spoke of.
                                I think these verses are apposite. Mattew 25.32-46

All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. 34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,[g] you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment