Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The right to die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The example was not necessarily unjustified killing, but people will still scream, particularly when it's a white cop and a black victim.
    Oh I know.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      When it comes to the, possibly unlikely non voluntary case (I don't know any way to determine this), saving of an innocent life I find it a very useful objection.
      We already have processes in place like DNR.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        The statistics do not bear this out - it is the exception, not the rule,
        Of course they don't. These sorts of deaths are the exception because most people don't die that way. That doesn't mean they're not regular occurrences.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          So what? It IS helpful to both your family and society in a multitude of ways. You may find that to be a hard truth, but it is a truth nonetheless. It stops the suffering and doesn't put your family through unnecessary emotional and financial trauma.
          so what? the what is that I think human life is valuable. More valuable than saving money. If it comes to trading lives for convenience then it is no longer about ending suffering. It is about economics and lifestyle of those who are NOT dying. It has become "abortion" of the sick and elderly.

Comment

• We'd save even more money if everyone died.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              so what? the what is that I think human life is valuable. More valuable than saving money. If it comes to trading lives for convenience then it is no longer about ending suffering. It is about economics and lifestyle of those who are NOT dying. It has become "abortion" of the sick and elderly.
              I agree with all of this. I just question what qualifies as a 'life'. Or, more importantly, who gets to make that decision.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                We already have processes in place like DNR.
                Link, or details please. DNR is not nearly the same as going in and saying I want to die.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Link, or details please. DNR is not nearly the same as going in and saying I want to die.
                  Yeah, DNR is a rather different concept. DNR is "don't go to extraordinary measures to keep me alive"; assisted suicide is "deliberately induce death."
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Yeah, DNR is a rather different concept. DNR is "don't go to extraordinary measures to keep me alive"; assisted suicide is "deliberately induce death."
                    I'm not implying they're identical; only that DNR is a useful concept for exploring how assisted suicide could be implemented in terms of legally ensuring 'voluntary'.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Admittedly, passive euthanasia is already a thing. Deliberately starving a patient to death seems worse than just flat out killing them immediately.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I'm not implying they're identical; only that DNR is a useful concept for exploring how assisted suicide could be implemented in terms of legally ensuring 'voluntary'.
                        I still have serious doubts.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Slippery, meet slope.

The DNR, technically, isn't a good example - it is a doctor's directive usually in response to a Living Will's specifications. Thus far, the jury is out on 'living wills' - they are WAY too easy to abuse, simply because their mere existence is presumed to mean one prefers to die but that isn't what the documents necessarily say.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

When it comes to the, possibly unlikely non voluntary case (I don't know any way to determine this), saving of an innocent life I find it a very useful objection.
                            Then don't allow the purchase of firearms. Hey, you never know if somebody crazy could get one and take an innocent life.

*not being serious*

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Slippery, meet slope.
                              The DNR, technically, isn't a good example - it is a doctor's directive usually in response to a Living Will's specifications. Thus far, the jury is out on 'living wills' - they are WAY too easy to abuse, simply because their mere existence is presumed to mean one prefers to die but that isn't what the documents necessarily say.

Comment

• I personally strongly believe in the right to die, and proper regulation would essentially be a given.

No it's not the same as someone having a bad day and going to the docs to clock out. There are many illnesses and accidents that are terminal and drastically reduce the quality of life for protracted periods of time before the end.

I would certainly hope to have a humane doctor to put me out of my misery if I were in that situation. We seem to treat animals better than people when it comes to dying.

Comment