Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

OK, The Clown Thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, The Clown Thing...

First, I hate clowns, not sure why, but this thing is really creepy. I mean are these sightings across ten states coordinated, copy cats, or just a handful of guys traveling to different areas? It is just weird and possibly dangerous.

A recent spike in clown sightings across the country has prompted fears that a menacing trend is on the rise.

Terrified residents have reported being terrorized by people dressed up in the costumes in more than ten states since August.

Among them was one woman who claimed to have been assaulted and worrying accounts of children being lured towards woods by the disguised figures.

In South Carolina, police have issued a stark warning to whoever is frightening the community.

'It's illegal. It's dangerous. It's inappropriate, and it's creating community concern so it needs to stop,' Greenville Police Chief Ken Miller said last month.

His message came after four separate reports of clowns near play parks and apartment complexes.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...een-prank.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

And then people wonder why those people get shot.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

It stems from distrust in people in a mask.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
        And then people wonder why those people get shot.
        If I saw these clowns checking out my grand kids in a park shooting one in the leg would not be out of the question.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Probably a big part of it is the book/movie It.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I heard they were working on a remake recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              I heard they were working on a remake recently.
              It's already wrapped.

Honestly, it's just a bunch of teenagers trolling. I think the reaction to it all is kind of silly. And no, it's not illegal, inappropriate, or dangerous to dress like a clown. That's precisely why kids are doing it. It's a funny way of legally creeping people out closer to Halloween a month or so before the IT reboot comes out. If people just ignored it, then it wouldn't be such a big deal, but ever since the original IT came out, people have been terrified of a character that's supposed to bring people happiness and delight.

By the way, the new IT clown totally misses the point. It's purposely creepy looking, same as the Annabelle film franchise. What made the original so scary was how innocent it looked. It's the juxtaposition of familiar and innocent with evil that makes these things so scary, but Hollywood never learns.

Oh, we had a clown here in my home town recently. He was holding a on sign a major road that read "will juggle for beer". I thought it was kinda funny.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Never thought of it being a publicity stunt. Won't be much of one if somebody gets hurt (or dead).
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  It's already wrapped.

Honestly, it's just a bunch of teenagers trolling. I think the reaction to it all is kind of silly. And no, it's not illegal, inappropriate, or dangerous to dress like a clown. That's precisely why kids are doing it. It's a funny way of legally creeping people out closer to Halloween a month or so before the IT reboot comes out. If people just ignored it, then it wouldn't be such a big deal, but ever since the original IT came out, people have been terrified of a character that's supposed to bring people happiness and delight.

By the way, the new IT clown totally misses the point. It's purposely creepy looking, same as the Annabelle film franchise. What made the original so scary was how innocent it looked. It's the juxtaposition of familiar and innocent with evil that makes these things so scary, but Hollywood never learns.

Oh, we had a clown here in my home town recently. He was holding a on sign a major road that read "will juggle for beer". I thought it was kinda funny.
                  Before I even heard of IT I found most clowns other than Bozo to be majorly creepy. I think IT just takes a fear some people already had, and tries to amplify it as much as possible. Maybe even show some people what those who have a phobia of clowns feel like when they look at "normal " clowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    Before I even heard of IT I found most clowns other than Bozo to be majorly creepy. I think IT just takes a fear some people already had, and tries to amplify it as much as possible. Maybe even show some people what those who have a phobia of clowns feel like when they look at "normal " clowns.
                    In my opinion, clowns weren't generally considered scary till the mid-80s by most people. People loved Bozo, they love Ronald, they love Red Skelton, Soupy Sales, Wavy Gravy, Bill Irwin, and the clowns at Ringling Bros, and the like. I'm sure there were a number of people who thought clowns were creepy before the mid-80s, but in my opinion there were three things that changed people's perception of them. 1.) John Wayne Gacy's arrest 2.) Poltergeist, and 3.) It the novel and the miniseries (the novel was scarier). I'll give Killer Klowns From Outer Space a weak 4.

I'm assuming that you were too young to know about It when it was originally released (in either novel or tv format), but any case, by that point the idea of "clowns are evil" was already in the social zeitgeist. Clowns went from characters that reminded people of the circuses and children's birthday parties to something trashy you saw tattooed all evil looking on some biker or airbrushed on their Harley. Then ICP came along and made the whole concept of "evil clowns" even trashier, and a few more movies came out between Killer Klowns and today. The whole phobia is just silly to me. I understand it. I understand how it got into the collective consciousness that these things are scary, but eh, I guess I can just remember back to when clowns were supposed to be funny and happy, and not trashy horror monsters.

Clowns can really be as simple as a guy blowing bubbles for kids.

Nothing at all scary about that (unless you hate bubbles or accordions )
                    Last edited by Adrift; 10-02-2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I don't really get the whole "clowns are creepy or scary" thing either
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        First, I hate clowns, not sure why, but this thing is really creepy. I mean are these sightings across ten states coordinated, copy cats, or just a handful of guys traveling to different areas? It is just weird and possibly dangerous.
                        Yeah, clowns can be pretty scary, I caught sight of one the other night sniffling, snorting and rambling incoherently about how rich he is and how terrible his country is and how he was going to single handedly make it great again. He really was a pretty scary dude, could you imagine a maniacal clown like that actually running a country?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          In my opinion, clowns weren't generally considered scary till the mid-80s by most people. People loved Bozo, they love Ronald, they love Red Skelton, Soupy Sales, Wavy Gravy, Bill Irwin, and the clowns at Ringling Bros, and the like. I'm sure there were a number of people who thought clowns were creepy before the mid-80s, but in my opinion there were three things that changed people's perception of them. 1.) John Wayne Gacy's arrest 2.) Poltergeist, and 3.) It the novel and the miniseries (the novel was scarier). I'll give Killer Klowns From Outer Space a weak 4.

I'm assuming that you were too young to know about It when it was originally released (in either novel or tv format), but any case, by that point the idea of "clowns are evil" was already in the social zeitgeist. Clowns went from characters that reminded people of the circuses and children's birthday parties to something trashy you saw tattooed all evil looking on some biker or airbrushed on their Harley. Then ICP came along and made the whole concept of "evil clowns" even trashier, and a few more movies came out between Killer Klowns and today. The whole phobia is just silly to me. I understand it. I understand how it got into the collective consciousness that these things are scary, but eh, I guess I can just remember back to when clowns were supposed to be funny and happy, and not trashy horror monsters.

Clowns can really be as simple as a guy blowing bubbles for kids.

Nothing at all scary about that (unless you hate bubbles or accordions )
                          I think you started seeing a shift with things like Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1989) and Pennywise from It (1990 or 1986 for the book). And maybe stories about serial killer John Wayne Gacy playing a clown at children's parties might have fueled things as well. Come to think of it the Joker ("the Clown Prince of Crime") from Batman might even had some influence especially when he started being depicted even darker like Jack Nicholson's version in the 1989 film Batman.

Prior to that someone having a fear of clowns was seen largely as quirky or even silly.

And accordions are scary
                          Last edited by rogue06; 10-02-2016, 10:56 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Yeah, clowns can be pretty scary, I caught sight of one the other night sniffling, snorting and rambling incoherently about how rich he is and how terrible his country is and how he was going to single handedly make it great again. He really was a pretty scary dude, could you imagine a maniacal clown like that actually running a country?
                            You just couldn't resist - could you...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I think you started seeing a shift with things like Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1989) and Pennywise from It (1990 or 1986 for the book). And maybe stories about serial killer John Wayne Gacy playing a clown at children's parties might have fueled things as well. Come to think of it the Joker ("the Clown Prince of Crime") from Batman might even had some influence especially when he started being depicted even darker like Jack Nicholson's version in the 1989 film Batman.

Prior to that someone having a fear of clowns was seen largely as quirky or even silly.
                              Did you read my post? Cause that's pretty much exactly what I said, or were you just agreeing with me about It, Killer Klowns, and John Wayne Gacy?

And accordions are scary
                              They can be.

Comment