Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officer shot and killed a Black teenage girl holding a knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Gotcha --- and maybe the stereotypes presented by such fictional characters as Dudley Do Right....

dudley.jpg

...support the notion that this is "the working uniform".
    But his horse was cool.

4d3f6a742c0c3d192522f0109538cb68.gif

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied

Gotcha --- and maybe the stereotypes presented by such fictional characters as Dudley Do Right....

dudley.jpg

Yuh.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

dudley.jpg

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied

Ah -- here --- yes, "dress uniforms"! Otherwise known as "parade dress uniforms" or "ceremonial dress uniforms" or.....

you get the picture!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    By they way --- the "Sam Brown" belt shown here has been abandoned by most police departments except on "dress uniforms" because it was way too easy for the subject to grab that strap and whip the officer all over the place --- like giving the subject a "handle" with which to grab the officer.
    Ah -- here --- yes, "dress uniforms"! Otherwise known as "parade dress uniforms" or "ceremonial dress uniforms" or.....

you get the picture!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    You guys know that the red serge uniform is only used ceremonially, right?
    Yes, which is why my comment that started this whole thing was encased in sarcasm tags.

I actually think it's a GORGEOUS uniform, and even the Sam Brown belt I mentioned is only used by most departments on "dress uniforms".

(I thought I mentioned that, but don't see that comment from me)

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    You guys know that the red serge uniform is only used ceremonially, right?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

It's like the Debol hisseff got to design the uniform and said, "let's include a rope around the neck of the officer so he can be choked to death, and that vertical belt thingie to grab him and drag him around".
    "and make sure the uniform is really bright so it stands out making them an easy target. Also, make it red so you can't see the blood stains."

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It's like the Debol hisseff got to design the uniform and said, "let's include a rope around the neck of the officer so he can be choked to death, and that vertical belt thingie to grab him and drag him around".

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Yup, I think the only option that remains is the one where your weapon is tied to you with a rope around your neck! Those wonderful Canadians!!!!

rcmp rope.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Yup, I think the only option that remains is the one where your weapon is tied to you with a rope around your neck! Those wonderful Canadians!!!!

rcmp rope.jpg
    By they way --- the "Sam Brown" belt shown here has been abandoned by most police departments except on "dress uniforms" because it was way too easy for the subject to grab that strap and whip the officer all over the place --- like giving the subject a "handle" with which to grab the officer.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Yes, sir, and, IIRC, this was a result of cases where a sidearm accidentally dropped in such a manner that the hammer hit the pavement or whatever allowed the weapon to be fired.

Back in the 70's, there was an attempt to push police to a technology where a ring worn on your gun hand 'ring finger' would engage a magnetic mechanism in the grip of the firearm that would only allow the firearm to fire if that ring were present. It didn't go over, because too many times an officer is required to fire his weapon in less than "textbook" fashion, and the thing simply did not work reliably.

There were numerous attempts to come up with a solution where only the police officer could fire his own weapon, due to the fact that, so often, in a scuffle, the subject grabs the cop's gun and shoots the cop.
    They need to build in Alexa!

"Alexa, disengage safety on my gun!"

Problem solved!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

rcmp rope.jpg
    Needs to go one step further. The Barney Fife system

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Those "solutions" were abandoned when it was repeatedly shown that far too often the firearm wouldn't fire for the officer either. A non-functioning gun is a horrible thing to have when you find yourself in a situation where you need one that works.

It's a great idea in theory but nobody has found a practical, workable way to accomplish it.

rcmp rope.jpg

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Yes, sir, and, IIRC, this was a result of cases where a sidearm accidentally dropped in such a manner that the hammer hit the pavement or whatever allowed the weapon to be fired.

Back in the 70's, there was an attempt to push police to a technology where a ring worn on your gun hand 'ring finger' would engage a magnetic mechanism in the grip of the firearm that would only allow the firearm to fire if that ring were present. It didn't go over, because too many times an officer is required to fire his weapon in less than "textbook" fashion, and the thing simply did not work reliably.

There were numerous attempts to come up with a solution where only the police officer could fire his own weapon, due to the fact that, so often, in a scuffle, the subject grabs the cop's gun and shoots the cop.
    Those "solutions" were abandoned when it was repeatedly shown that far too often the firearm wouldn't fire for the officer either. A non-functioning gun is a horrible thing to have when you find yourself in a situation where you need one that works.

It's a great idea in theory but nobody has found a practical, workable way to accomplish it.

Leave a comment: