Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Rules of Debate

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Depends on what you consider a win. Hillary did exactly what she and other career politicians do. And I'm fed up with rehearsed piles of manure.
    Better composed, offering detailed solutions to the problems, being coherent, being closer to the facts, etc. That's what I consider a win.

Not that I'm a Hillary supporter. I can't stand her but it is obvious that she handled that debate way better.

And do you prefer people just wing it and sound incoherent like Trump did?
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
      Better composed, offering detailed solutions to the problems, being coherent, being closer to the facts, etc. That's what I consider a win.

Not that I'm a Hillary supporter. I can't stand her but it is obvious that she handled that debate way better.

I think it'd be way more entertaining if they'd all just wing it and sound incoherent.

Note: I didn't watch the debate. Don't care who won.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

One can be composed and wrong. One can offer promises that are impossible to keep and still be wrong. One can sound coherent and be wrong. One can be close to the facts and still be wrong...

Wing it, yes. Incoherent, not so much. I prefer a genuine answer to a rehearsed one. Trump started out with good answers. He faded. Hillary started with rehearsed answers and stayed on her script. If anyone won, it was her writers.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          One can be composed and wrong. One can offer promises that are impossible to keep and still be wrong. One can sound coherent and be wrong. One can be close to the facts and still be wrong...
          Of course. No one is saying she's right. I'm saying she's more composed, offer more coherent solutions, was closer to the facts than Trump (who is impervious to facts) and therefore she won as the result of that. It's the aggregate of all those qualities together that makes a winner.

Wing it, yes. Incoherent, not so much. I prefer a genuine answer to a rehearsed one. Trump started out with good answers. He faded. Hillary started with rehearsed answers and stayed on her script. If anyone won, it was her writers.
          That assumes a rehearsed answer cannot be genuine. What if you have a genuine answer that is rehearsed? Does mere rehearsing make it not genuine??
          Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Of course. No one is saying she's right. I'm saying she's more composed, offer more coherent solutions, was closer to the facts than Trump (who is impervious to facts) and therefore she won as the result of that. It's the aggregate of all those qualities together that makes a winner.
            Well, I think her composure was more a calculated stunt, her solutions are of the same cloth that has failed for the past 30 years, and even being "closer" to the facts, she was still pretty far off on some. As I said though, one can win a debate just by being cool and calculated and still not be the better choice.

That assumes a rehearsed answer cannot be genuine. What if you have a genuine answer that is rehearsed? Does mere rehearsing make it not genuine??
            It tends to make it less genuine sounding.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• OK, as thread owner, I'm officially asking BOTH of you to stop the back-and-forth nonsense, totally unrelated to the OP.

Thanks
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• The thread can now die in peace.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  The thread can now die in peace.
                  and we can start a new thread on the Vice-Presidential debate!

Comment