Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexism, racism, and misogyny: Beth Moore departs from the Southern Baptists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexism, racism, and misogyny: Beth Moore departs from the Southern Baptists

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/us/beth-moore-southern-baptists.html

Now, one of the most prominent white evangelical women in the United States is breaking with her longtime denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention, citing the “staggering” disorientation of seeing its leaders support Mr. Trump, and the cultural and spiritual fallout from that support.

“There comes a time when you have to say, this is not who I am,” Beth Moore, told Religion News Service in an interview published on Tuesday. “I am still a Baptist, but I can no longer identify with Southern Baptists,” she added.

Her stature in the movement poses a serious challenge for the Southern Baptist Convention, which has already been embroiled for years in debates not just about Mr. Trump, but about racism, misogyny and the handling of sexual abuse cases. Its membership is in decline.

Her departure is “tectonic in its reverberations,” said Jemar Tisby, the president of a Black Christian collective called the Witness. “Beth Moore has more influence and more cachet with Southern Baptists, especially white Southern Baptist women, than the vast majority of Southern Baptist pastors or other leaders. So her leaving is not just about one individual.”

Unsurprisingly, the article cites Ms Moore’s personal experiences of sexism in the male dominated world of conservative Christianity and her denunciation of “the sexism and misogyny that is rampant in segments of the SBC”. It also deals with the corruption of power and the hierarchical desire to cover up charges of sexual misconduct and abuse. We know the Catholic church is not unique in its desire to brush such charges under the proverbial carpet.

Ms. Moore often spoke out against widespread sexual abuse in the denomination and the reluctance of churches to face it, while many men in leadership often soft-pedaled the issue.

Jenny Taylor, 40, who grew up in Southern Baptist churches, left one of the denomination’s most prominent churches, the Village, a few years ago, angered by its leaders’ treatment of a young woman who brought a sex abuse allegation against a former minister.

The article also refers to the racism experienced by black Christians from some of their white brethren. “Ms. Moore has also publicly supported others critical of conservative evangelicalism from within. This week Mr. Tisby, the president of the Black Christian collective, described on a podcast for the first time his experiences of racism in white evangelical communities. His testimony was part of a campaign called #LeaveLoud, to tell the stories of Black Christians leaving evangelical spaces.”

And as a finale we have Tom Buck whose comments come straight from the nethermost reaches of Christian narrow-minded and blinkered patriarchy.

The fact that Beth Moore joyfully promotes herself as a woman who preaches to men is only the tip of the iceberg of her problematic positions,” Tom Buck, senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Lindale, Texas, said in a post online following the news.
    “I sincerely wish Mrs. Moore had repented rather than left,” he wrote. “But if she refuses to repent, I am glad she is gone from the S.B.C. Sadly, leaving the S.B.C. won’t fix what is wrong with Beth Moore.”

For Mr Buck the SBC has nothing to which reproach it self and all the fault lies with Ms Moore, the woman.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Beth Moore 'departed' from the Southern Baptists long ago - she's just making it public.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All the accounts I've seen have the split being over her opposition to Trump and being "labelled as either a liberal, woke or heretic for her opposition to the ex-president" which therefore makes it peculiar that she would wait until he's out of office and his start his diminishing. This would have made far more sense in 2016 when she first railed against Trump becoming "the banner, the poster child for the great white hope of evangelicalism, the salvation of the church in America" or even in 2020 when he ran for reelection.

Something is just not right with the timing and suggest more was at play here concerning her decision.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        All the accounts I've seen have the split being over her opposition to Trump and being "labelled as either a liberal, woke or heretic for her opposition to the ex-president" which therefore makes it peculiar that she would wait until he's out of office and his start his diminishing. This would have made far more sense in 2016 when she first railed against Trump becoming "the banner, the poster child for the great white hope of evangelicalism, the salvation of the church in America" or even in 2020 when he ran for reelection.

Something is just not right with the timing and suggest more was at play here concerning her decision.
        My wife used to volunteer to work these events where Beth Moore and Lucy Swindoll would speak (not at the same time).
        She would work the book tables, where these celebrities would sign books, and 'meet and greet'.

She would come home and tell me "Lucy is the most wonderful, loving, composed, sweet lady to work with".
        I would ask "how bout Beth Moore".
        My wife would answer "Lucy is the most wonderful......"

Like many Christians who "make it big", Beth didn't have much compassion for the 'little people' who worked for her.

And, yeah, why NOW? I think she sees bigger money in a broader audience.
        Same thing happened to the Baptist Book Store empire - it changed to Lifeway to reach a wider audience.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

My wife used to volunteer to work these events where Beth Moore and Lucy Swindoll would speak (not at the same time).
          She would work the book tables, where these celebrities would sign books, and 'meet and greet'.

She would come home and tell me "Lucy is the most wonderful, loving, composed, sweet lady to work with".
          I would ask "how bout Beth Moore".
          My wife would answer "Lucy is the most wonderful......"

Like many Christians who "make it big", Beth didn't have much compassion for the 'little people' who worked for her.

And, yeah, why NOW? I think she sees bigger money in a broader audience.
          Same thing happened to the Baptist Book Store empire - it changed to Lifeway to reach a wider audience.
          A selected instance is duly noted.

Perhaps Ms Moore should take Mr Buck's advice and repent of her sins.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Beth Moore is a good example of why women should remain silent in (and out of) church.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
              Beth Moore is a good example of why women should remain silent in (and out of) church.
              My compliments on your sense of humour.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

A selected instance is duly noted.

Perhaps Ms Moore should take Mr Buck's advice and repent of her sins.
                Yeah, personally, I put a lot of stock in how people treat their employees and helpers behind the scenes compared to their "public persona".

The vast majority of the people my wife has worked with at these women's conferences have been downright delightful and appreciative of the help.
                One of the reasons she liked volunteering - it was downright enjoyable!

Comment

I have always had a problem with Beth Moore. Seemed more of a popular teacher interested in selling books and seminars than anything else.

Comment

Yeah, personally, I put a lot of stock in how people treat their employees and helpers behind the scenes compared to their "public persona".

The vast majority of the people my wife has worked with at these women's conferences have been downright delightful and appreciative of the help.
                    One of the reasons she liked volunteering - it was downright enjoyable!
                    Ellen Degeneres didn't seem to understand that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I have always had a problem with Beth Moore. Seemed more of a popular teacher interested in selling books and seminars than anything else.
                      Building her empire, yes.

And I'm getting "this just in" info (because I'm a mucho importante Southern Baptist educrat) that this is being linked to Black Pastors leaving the SBC, presenting it as 'racial problems'.
                      The two that they exploit are leaving (actually left some time ago) because the SBC won't adopt Critical Race Theory as a fundamental doctrine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I have always had a problem with Beth Moore.
                        Is that because she's a woman?

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          Is that because she's a woman?

I wondered how long it would take for you to play The Girlie Card.

Comment

Building her empire, yes.

And I'm getting "this just in" info (because I'm a mucho importante Southern Baptist educrat) that this is being linked to Black Pastors leaving the SBC, presenting it as 'racial problems'.
                            The two that they exploit are leaving (actually left some time ago) because the SBC won't adopt Critical Race Theory as a fundamental doctrine.
                            Are you suggesting that there are no issues that need to be addressed within the male dominated hierarchy of the SBC? P
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Ellen Degeneres didn't seem to understand that.
                              I actually was pretty surprised about Ellen - I never watched her more than "flipping channels", and I'd come across her, and she always seemed so friendly, caring, humorous....
                              Yeah, that one surprised me.

Comment