Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden says minorities aren't smart enough to go online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Last I checked, about 80% of people have a smartphone. And I'm willing to bet that most of those who don't have a smartphone also don't have a computer or tablet.
    What does owning a PC or tablet have to do with anything? The issue is the ability to access the internet, it doesn't matter how it's done. The belief that more minorities than whites don't have access is just a lie or a misconception that a liberal racist who believes minorities are inferior in knowledge and resources would believe.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

What does owning a PC or tablet have to do with anything? The issue is the ability to access the internet, it doesn't matter how it's done. The belief that more minorities than whites don't have access is just a lie or a misconception that a liberal racist who believes minorities are inferior in knowledge and resources would believe.
      And there are a number of places to go online for free even if you don't have internet -- like school or public libraries or help centers like I'm involved with - we have people all the time going on the internet who do not have smart phones, PCs or tablets.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You're off by a factor of.... PEW Research says 10% don't use the internet, and that was 2019.

10% of Americans don’t use the internet. Who are they?

And that would include a lot of older folks who simply refuse to get connected.

For many Americans, going online is an important way to connect with friends and family, shop, get news and search for information. Yet today, 10% of U.S. adults do not use the internet, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of survey data.

I hope you didn't bet the farm!
        Thanks for the link. I notice it says that the percentage is a lot higher for Blacks and Hispanics than it is for whites.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I notice it says that the percentage is a lot higher for Blacks and Hispanics than it is for whites.
          Again, that was 2019, and the total was 10% --- that blacks and Hispanics are a bigger part of that 10% doesn't change the fact that it's less than the 20% you were betting the farm on.

And, again, just because somebody doesn't have internet in their home doesn't mean they don't have free access at a library, school, help center, homeless shelter, friend's house, church...

Pretty much anybody in the US who wants to get on the internet can.

Also, a number of those people who don't use the internet are older folks who have no desire whatsoever to go online. They figure they've gotten to be 70 or 80 or 90 without it, and are doing OK.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Again, that was 2019, and the total was 10% --- that blacks and Hispanics are a bigger part of that 10% doesn't change the fact that it's less than the 20% you were betting the farm on.

And, again, just because somebody doesn't have internet in their home doesn't mean they don't have free access at a library, school, help center, homeless shelter, friend's house, church...

Pretty much anybody in the US who wants to get on the internet can.
            Pretty much anybody in the US who wants to get on the internet can, if they know how.

Comment

And there are a number of places to go online for free even if you don't have internet -- like school or public libraries or help centers like I'm involved with - we have people all the time going on the internet who do not have smart phones, PCs or tablets.
              Yup. And polling data suggests people with smartphones are about the same, with whites having a slightly higher percentage. However, in regards to owning a PC, whites have the highest percentage over minorities, so I can easily see a disingenuous leftist cherrypicking that data to bolster their racist views about minorities being inferior and unable to access the internet.

Comment

Pretty much anybody in the US who wants to get on the internet can, if they know how.
                Their grandkids can show them.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  That's what the overall issue is but to old Joe part of the problem is that minorities just aren't smart enough to figure out how to go online or use a computer.
                  As I said, it is obvious from context and what he said that statement is false. That is not what he is saying, and it is clear that is not what he is saying. Why you would be willing to pretend that is a reasonable conclusion based on the what was said is troubling though.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The funny thing is, you actually think you cleaned it up and made it better.
                    The funny thing is you think I didn't. Perhaps you've never had to help a relative get on the internet or navigate it, but I have had to help my elderly, white, middle class, relatives figure out how to navigate various elements the internet. There are people everywhere, in every ethnic group and socio economic ladder that need help navigating the internet. Some of those people live in minority neighborhoods that are poor and they will need help signing up to get the vaccine. How you can think acknowledging that and including them in your plan to make sure those neighborhoods have access to the vaccine is somehow 'racist' is beyond me, but it is not. But since you are NOT the sort of person that is hypersensitive to racism or racist tropes, the only explanation left is that it is a purposed distortion of Biden's words based on political partisanship.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-22-2021, 07:09 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

As I said, it is obvious from context and what he said that statement is false. That is not what he is saying, and it is clear that is not what he is saying. Why you would be willing to pretend that is a reasonable conclusion based on the what was said is troubling though.
                      Biden has a gift of saying things in such a way that then can EASILY be construed as either ignorance or prejudice or.... He just doesn't have the gift of clearly communicating a message.

Comment

The funny thing is you think I didn't. Perhaps you've never had to help a relative get on the internet or navigate it, but I have had to help my elderly, white, middle class, relatives figure out how to navigate various elements the internet. There are people everywhere, in every ethnic group and socio economic ladder that need help navigating the internet. Some of those people live in minority neighborhoods that are poor and they will need help signing up to get the vaccine. How you can think acknowledging that and including them in your plan to make sure those neighborhoods have access to the vaccine is somehow 'racist' is beyond me, but it is not. But since you are NOT the sort of person that is hypersensitive to racism or racist tropes, the only explanation left is that it is a purposed distortion of Biden's words based on political partisanship.
                        Is it more difficult to teach a minority to navigate the internet than your elderly, white, middle class, relatives?

Comment

Is it more difficult to teach a minority to navigate the internet than your elderly, white, middle class, relatives?
                          I doubt it, but the question seems rather irrelavent. The issue isn't the difficulty of teaching them, it's making sure someone is available to do the teaching.

Comment

Biden has a gift of saying things in such a way that then can EASILY be construed as either ignorance or prejudice or.... He just doesn't have the gift of clearly communicating a message.
                            In this case however his statements are not easy to misconstrue. Rather this take on his words is something only a person intent on denigrating the man would conclude or propagate.

Comment

I doubt it, but the question seems rather irrelavent. The issue isn't the difficulty of teaching them, it's making sure someone is available to do the teaching.
                              You're assuming somebody is not. And you seemed to be focusing on the difficulty of teaching your own 'students'.

I think you're trying too hard to defend Biden, who has quite a history of saying things in such a way that invites ridicule. It's a gift. And a curse.

I think if this were anybody else, you'd simply agree "yeah, he could have worded that a lot better".

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I think most of them do, yes Especially in a day and age where most every home has at least some sort of smart phone. And those who don't can easily get help from relatives, etc.. How racist can you be?
                                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Obviously "a lot" of those friends, relatives, co-workers and neighbors are just as simple-minded and ignorant as they are. Or maybe they just aren't smart enough to ask other people like that. This is why old Joe, in his typically condescending and patronizing manner, feels it's necessary to step in and help all those slow-witted colored people who are incapable of doing anything for themselves without the gracious help and guidance of their superiors (i.e., white liberals)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment