Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Animals are not OURS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

In my opinion the employment of "pretty much" [i.e. almost completely] is an over generalisation implying that the majority of those who work for PETA are "psycho". I would disagree.
    In your opinion. You know what they say about opinions don't you?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      In your opinion. You know what they say about opinions don't you?
      Well we all have them.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

That's why PETA remains somewhat popular. Nearly all sane folks are against needless animal cruelty. It's the rest of what they do and how they go about it that makes them a fair target for stringent criticism and ridicule
        That's.... just not true. otherwise the world would be vegan like me.

You and most others contribute every day to massive animal cruelty with every dollar you spend on meat and milk and leather and cheese and down and wool and..... We could go on and on. There are no animal products without animal cruelty. To be fair, I suspect that many are completely ignorant about the animal cruelty involved and view those things as just products that they faintly imagine or buy into ideas of 'happy cows', etc.. But many others are aware, and still buy those things.
        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 01-30-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

You and most others contribute every day to massive animal cruelty with every dollar you spend on meat and milk and leather and cheese and down and wool and..... We could go on and on. There are no animal products without animal cruelty.
          The key word here is "needless." While killing something to eat it may be deemed as cruel it is necessary unless you want to eat it alive.

And not shearing the wool from sheep is cruel and if you've ever heard a cow mooing in agony because it hasn't been milked in awhile you'd drop that one pretty quickly as well.

Also, there is a reason why things like "free range" and "cage free" eggs and meat products are so popular. Why else spend extra money for them?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's actually an interesting question. They've become such a joke that I'd have to wonder what, if anything real, they actually accomplish.

Anybody?

Comment

The key word here is "needless." While killing something to eat it may be deemed as cruel it is necessary unless you want to eat it alive.
              Consuming meat is most certainly needless, and definitely not 'necessary'

And not shearing the wool from sheep is cruel and if you've ever heard a cow mooing in agony because it hasn't been milked in awhile you'd drop that one pretty quickly as well.
              Ah so you're one of the latter that I named. Go watch Dominion. It's free.

Now why woulda cow be mooing in agony because it hasn't been milked in a while? Oh, that's right, because it has its baby(is) that drinks the milk, taken away, grieves for it for days, and then shortly after gets a fist shoved up its anus to hold its uterus in place so they can forcibly impregnate it and start the process/cycle all over again.

I suggest doing some research on the legally allowed amount of pus in milk (yes, there is indeed a legally allowed volume of pus that is in your milk. Pus that comes from the udders being worked constantly through its life leading to development of sores and mastitis.

As to wool, that similarly involves forced impregnation. Oh, and go look up Mulesing, and then talk to us about cruelty. Oh, and to keep firmly on topic: https://prime.peta.org/2017/11/sheep...03871249659828

Also, there is a reason why things like "free range" and "cage free" eggs and meat products are so popular. Why else spend extra money for them?
              Those terms are meaningless. Literally 'free range' can mean a tiny part of an enclosure allowing an animal to stoop down and be 'outside' in a small space.
              https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...gs-con-ethical

Comment

Consuming meat is most certainly needless, and definitely not 'necessary'

Ah so you're one of the latter that I named. Go watch Dominion. It's free.

Now why woulda cow be mooing in agony because it hasn't been milked in a while? Oh, that's right, because it has its baby(is) that drinks the milk, taken away, grieves for it for days, and then shortly after gets a fist shoved up its anus to hold its uterus in place so they can forcibly impregnate it and start the process/cycle all over again.

I suggest doing some research on the legally allowed amount of pus in milk (yes, there is indeed a legally allowed volume of pus that is in your milk. Pus that comes from the udders being worked constantly through its life leading to development of sores and mastitis.

As to wool, that similarly involves forced impregnation. Oh, and go look up Mulesing, and then talk to us about cruelty. Oh, and to keep firmly on topic: https://prime.peta.org/2017/11/sheep...03871249659828

Those terms are meaningless. Literally 'free range' can mean a tiny part of an enclosure allowing an animal to stoop down and be 'outside' in a small space.
                https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...gs-con-ethical
                My great granduncle had a little farm up in South Dakota which had a cow that needed to be milked every day whether it was in the Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. This was true long after its calf had been weened and grew up. Maybe you should talk to farmers rather than activists.

And maybe you should look up what the permissible level of containments like rodent dung and hair, roaches (whole and fragments) etc that are allowed in say corn meal.

Again maybe you should talk to farmers and not activists.

Comment

I was merely making an observation.
                  You were merely making a snitty comment which you claim is "an observation".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Well, they freed an otter (or something) that promptly got eaten by a shark (or something).

That has to count for something.
                    I don't think that was PETA --- that's FAR too tame.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think that is a somewhat sweeping generalisation.
                      Of course you do.

Comment

The "shock" tactics are exactly the same.
                        Human life and animal life are not.

Comment

My great granduncle had a little farm up in South Dakota which had a cow that needed to be milked every day whether it was in the Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall.
                          That would be because it was kept constantly pregnant. You do realize that cows don't magically just continue to produce milk, right? They wean their kids off and stop producing, just like humans. Dairy cows don't magically just continue producing milk.

This was true long after its calf had been weened and grew up.
                          That's simply not how biology works. I suspect your great granduncle told you some fibs while you were growing up.

Maybe you should talk to farmers rather than activists.
                          I literally grew up on a farm, bud.
                          And maybe you should look up what the permissible level of containments like rodent dung and hair, roaches (whole and fragments) etc that are allowed in say corn meal.
                          I'll certainly take that over pus from abused cows.

Again maybe you should talk to farmers and not activists.
                          Or, we can see what the farmers actually do, behind closed doors, in countless hidden videos, rather than listen to their lies they tell to try to keep people from knowing the abuse involved in their purchases of their products.

Oh, and on wool (and hidden cameras): No cruelty here, nosiree.
                          https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-9597552.html
                          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 01-30-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

They don't have to be. You don't have to hold humans and animals on precisely the same level to refuse to endorse cruelty to the latter. To respect the latter. To admit to their intelligence. To oppose their suffering.

Stop poking the cows, and start understanding that they are intelligent creatures that just want to live their lives, not have their children stolen from them, not have fists shoved up their anuses to be forcibly bred, not be killed when their 'usefulness' runs out when they aren't producing enough milk.

You don't have to hold them to the same level as humans to give them respect.
                            Last edited by Gondwanaland; 01-30-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

You and most others contribute every day to massive animal cruelty with every dollar you spend on meat and milk and leather and cheese and down and wool and..... We could go on and on. There are no animal products without animal cruelty. To be fair, I suspect that many are completely ignorant about the animal cruelty involved and view those things as just products that they faintly imagine or buy into ideas of 'happy cows', etc.. But many others are aware, and still buy those things.
                              Despite your tendency to use abusive terms towards me this is one area where you and I are in agreement.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As a philosophical aside, if life is sacred why stop at humans?

At the purely biological level what makes us so special as a species?

"It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment