Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Cult of Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cult of Trump

There can be no doubt now that the Republican Party is a dangerous cult. The Cult of Trump.

McCarthy had been a cheerleader for Trump. Always supportive; always riding to his side. But then, after the storming of the Capitol on 6 January, the most senior Republican congressman went his own way and said this: "The president bears responsibility for Wednesday's attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding."

So far, so brave. But then McCarthy feels the icy blowback from the Trump base, and from the former president himself who was enraged. McCarthy then says Donald Trump can't be blamed, and his fast-changing analysis settles on the slightly ludicrous take - all Americans were responsible for the riot that left five dead. Which is pretty much the same, if you think about it, as saying no-one was responsible.

All of which brings us to today. It looks like congressman McCarthy went to kiss the king's ring, seeking forgiveness and absolution for the momentary lapse.

But more importantly, if you read the statement put out by Trump it shows that the former president still believes he is the Republican party's kingmaker; the powerhouse that ambitious GOP wannabes need to bend the knee to.

The first part of the statement issued by Trump's office says this: "The meeting between President Donald J Trump and House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, was a very good and cordial one. They discussed many topics, number one of which was taking back the House in 2022. President Trump's popularity has never been stronger than it is today, and his endorsement means more than perhaps any endorsement at any time."

Do you see what I mean about the tone being reassuringly familiar? I mean, close your eyes and you could almost imagine it was written by Mr Trump himself - even though it is in the third person singular. And leave aside the claim that his popularity has never been stronger - can anyone point me to the polling evidence that substantiates that?

The ex-president may have lost power, but he is determined to maintain his grip on the Republican party. In essence he's saying, if you want to win back the House from Democratic control in November 2022, you need me on side. Because I can create hell if I'm not.

And though you keep hearing from senior Republicans that they would like to rid themselves of their turbulent former president, Kevin McCarthy rather abjectly prostrating himself at the foot of the exiled king's throne, suggests he believes he needs the imprimatur of Donald Trump.
    Why dangerous?

The Republicans’ unwillingness to confront the dark forces within their party is not only unseemly but dangerous. On Wednesday, the Department of Homeland Security issued a bulletin warning of a “heightened threat environment” in which “ideologically-motivated violent extremists” are likely to act upon “perceived grievances fueled by false narratives.”
    Last edited by firstfloor; 01-29-2021, 04:56 AM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

This is an obvious Troll Thread. It's a large copy/paste of a BBC opinion article without a link. There is no point of discussion, instead it is simply a wide attack against a party Firstfloor does not like.

Trolls desire negative interaction with others, and the most effective trolls know just the right buttons to push to almost force that reaction out of people.

In order to allow people to "Scratch the itch" of responding to the troll, while starving them of the negative interaction they truly are looking for,

I opt for this option:

Source: https://thecozycook.com/shepherds-pie-soup/

Shepherd’s Pie Soup

This creamy Shepherd's Pie Soup is made with traditional Shepherd's Pie ingredients, including mashed potatoes, cheese, ground beef, and vegetables! You'll love watching a classic comfort food transform into a delicious soup with creamy broth that your family will love.Ingredients

• 4 large russet potatoes, equal to 2 lbs.
    • ¾ teaspoon salt
    • ¾ cup sour cream
    • 1 lb. Ground Beef, 85% lean
    • 1 large yellow onion
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 3 Tablespoons salted butter, separated
    • ¼ cup flour
    • 3 cups Chicken broth
    • 2 cups half and half
    • 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1 ½ cups mixed frozen vegetables
    • Salt/Pepper, to taste
    Instructions
    • Prep Work: Shred the cheese from a block, measure out the sour cream and half and half. Let them all sit out at room temperature.
    • Cook the Beef: Cook and crumble the ground beef over medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain grease. Remove the ground beef from the pot and set aside.
    • Boil & Mashed Potatoes: While the meat cooks, peel the potatoes and cut them into thirds. Add to a stock pot and cover the potatoes with 1 inch of water. Add the salt and boil gently for 10-15 minutes or until very fork tender. Drain, then gently mash with 1 Tablespoon of butter and sour cream. Set aside.
    • Prepare the broth: Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
    • Whisk in flour, use a silicone spatula to stir as the flour cooks for 1 full minute to remove the raw flour taste.
    • Add the chicken broth. Use a silicone spatula to loosen any beef remnants from the bottom of the pot, this will add flavor.
    • Add the Worcestershire sauce and slowly add the half and half. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
    • Stir in the potatoes until well-combined into the broth. If possible, use an immersion blender to blend until creamy. You can also transfer it to a blender in batches.
    • Add the ground beef and frozen vegetables and allow them to heat through, about 5 minutes.
    • Remove from heat. Gradually sprinkle with shredded cheese and stir until combined. Make sure the base of the soup isn’t too hot or the cheese won’t melt creamy and smooth. The soup will continue to thicken as it sits.
    • Taste, season with salt/pepper if desired and serve!

© Copyright Original Source

If you must respond, I suggest another tasty recipe. It sends the OP a message that their Troll was read, you felt a need to respond, but not contribute to a negative interaction.

Comment

I think the real Cult of Trump are those who are obsessed with opposing him.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

YAY!!!! Another psychotic OMB THREAD!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          There can be no doubt now that the Republican Party is a dangerous cult. The Cult of Trump.

Why dangerous?
          Just started reading my copy.

And an article about it here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...b-spy-new-book.

From the article:

Then, in 1987, Trump and Ivana visited Moscow and St Petersburg for the first time. Shvets said he was fed by KGB talking points and flattered by KGB operatives who floated the idea that he should go into the politics.

The ex-major recalled: “For the KGB, it was a charm offensive. They had collected a lot of information on his personality so they knew who he was personally. The feeling was that he was extremely vulnerable intellectually, and psychologically, and he was prone to flattery.

“This is what they exploited. They played the game as if they were immensely impressed by his personality and believed this is the guy who should be the president of the United States one day: it is people like him who could change the world. They fed him these so-called active measures soundbites and it happened. So it was a big achievement for the KGB active measures at the time.”

Soon after he returned to the US, Trump began exploring a run for the Republican nomination for president and even held a campaign rally in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

An interesting line from the opening pages of the book:

But what happened with Trump can best be seen as a series of sequential and sometimes unrelated operations that played into one another over more than four decades. According to Shvets, with the Soviets and their Russian successors, standard tradecraft has been to develop assets and data that might not have an immediate payoff but that could offer far more value years or even decades in the future.

“That’s a big difference between the KGB and some Western HUMINT [human intelligence] agencies,” Shvets told me during my first interview in what became an extended series of conversations that began in fall 2019. “The KGB is very patient. It can work a case for years. Americans want results yesterday or maximum today; as a result, they have none. They don’t get it—that if you round up nine pregnant women, the baby would not be born within a month. Each process must ripen.

Looks like this could be an entertaining read.

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Actually most liberals are members of the cult of Trump themselves. Their lives revolve around attacking him for any reason they can find. They've got to keep it going so their lives have meaning and purpose.

There've been a few threads started discussing various policies and actions Biden has taken. I've noticed most of the respondents are the conservative or moderates on TWeb and liberals aren't stepping up to defend the policies.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Just started reading my copy.

And an article about it here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...b-spy-new-book.

From the article:

Then, in 1987, Trump and Ivana visited Moscow and St Petersburg for the first time. Shvets said he was fed by KGB talking points and flattered by KGB operatives who floated the idea that he should go into the politics.

The ex-major recalled: “For the KGB, it was a charm offensive. They had collected a lot of information on his personality so they knew who he was personally. The feeling was that he was extremely vulnerable intellectually, and psychologically, and he was prone to flattery.

“This is what they exploited. They played the game as if they were immensely impressed by his personality and believed this is the guy who should be the president of the United States one day: it is people like him who could change the world. They fed him these so-called active measures soundbites and it happened. So it was a big achievement for the KGB active measures at the time.”

Soon after he returned to the US, Trump began exploring a run for the Republican nomination for president and even held a campaign rally in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

An interesting line from the opening pages of the book:

But what happened with Trump can best be seen as a series of sequential and sometimes unrelated operations that played into one another over more than four decades. According to Shvets, with the Soviets and their Russian successors, standard tradecraft has been to develop assets and data that might not have an immediate payoff but that could offer far more value years or even decades in the future.

“That’s a big difference between the KGB and some Western HUMINT [human intelligence] agencies,” Shvets told me during my first interview in what became an extended series of conversations that began in fall 2019. “The KGB is very patient. It can work a case for years. Americans want results yesterday or maximum today; as a result, they have none. They don’t get it—that if you round up nine pregnant women, the baby would not be born within a month. Each process must ripen.

Looks like this could be an entertaining read.
              I am quite certain you will be entertained by it. Fire and Fury proved that "Truthiness" isn't a solely conservative value. Though, the phrase that best encapsulates the left-wing version of Truthiness is "If it rings true, it is true".

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                ...the left-wing version of Truthiness is "If it rings true, it is true".
                Rather, it's "If I want it to be true, then it is true."
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I am quite certain you will be entertained by it. Fire and Fury proved that "Truthiness" isn't a solely conservative value. Though, the phrase that best encapsulates the left-wing version of Truthiness is "If it rings true, it is true".
                    More like "if the left WANTS it to be true, it's true".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It should nicely complement Misha Glenny's McMafia on my bedside bookshelf.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Rather, it's "If I want it to be true, then it is true."
                        Or as old Joe puts it, "We choose 'truth' over facts." Don't let those inconvenient facts get in the way of what I just know, Know, KNOW to be true! nutter.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I think the real Cult of Trump are those who are obsessed with opposing him.
                          Politically Donald Trump is now yesterday's man.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Undoubtedly indubitably, although he'll likely play the role of "kingmaker" in 2024 and will be living in the heads rent free of many of those on the left for decades to come

Comment

Did you click your heels together three times while repeating that?

Comment