Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So Being Fat Is OK, Healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Being Fat Is OK, Healthy?

And 2+2=5

Cosmopolitan magazine hit with fierce backlash over covers praising obesity despite coronavirus risk

jessamyn-1608131316.png

Cosmopolitan magazine faced fierce online backlash and mockery for its latest cover that dabbled in body positivity during a global pandemic where obesity has been identified as a high-risk precondition.

The fashion and entertainment magazine geared toward women highlighted an article touting "11 women on why wellness doesn't have to be one-size-fits-all," on its cover for the February issue.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/cosmop...virus-backlash

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/body...nt-shape-size/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Well, I'm heavier than I should be (and working on that again) but pretty durn healthy for an old white fat guy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If they are comparing normal women to the skin and bones models that the media usually show, then I would say it is "healthy" - but there is a limit. I am overweight and I have all sorts of health problems because of it. I have tried everything to lose weight to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If they are comparing normal women to the skin and bones models that the media usually show, then I would say it is "healthy" - but there is a limit. I am overweight and I have all sorts of health problems because of it. I have tried everything to lose weight to no avail.
        If I want to lose weight quickly, some version of the (can't even think of the name) proteins and fats but no carbs.... and that allows for.....

wait for it....

BACON!!!! (and eggs)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've always had mixed feelings on all this. On the one hand I've never been overweight but am very aware that there are several health risks involved with being overweight (which increase the more overweight you are).

[The below is said knowing full well I don't always live up to my own ideal]

People should be encouraged to live a healthy lifestyle where possible, with the researched mental and physical health benefits well documented.

[/The above is said knowing full well I don't always live up to my own ideal]

On the other hand, fat shaming and generally being an asshat to people isn't remotely helpful. The physical standards women have historically been held to in media also doesn't help (though men are catching up in this regard - all be it not to the same level or standard - and it's equally unhelpful).

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            I've always had mixed feelings on all this. On the one hand I've never been overweight but am very aware that there are several health risks involved with being overweight (which increase the more overweight you are).

[The below is said knowing full well I don't always live up to my own ideal]

People should be encouraged to live a healthy lifestyle where possible, with the researched mental and physical health benefits well documented.

[/The above is said knowing full well I don't always live up to my own ideal]

On the other hand, fat shaming and generally being an asshat to people isn't remotely helpful. The physical standards women have historically been held to in media also doesn't help (though men are catching up in this regard - all be it not to the same level or standard - and it's equally unhelpful).
            Yeah, I'm overweight, but I have perfect blood pressure, no diabetes, no other concerns, healthy (so far) heart ---- my doc tells me "yeah, you could lose some weight, but you're not doing bad at all".

OTOH, I've known people who the doctor has told "if you'd lose 20 lbs, your diabetes (or high blood pressure) would almost immediately disappear (or be mitigated).

ETA -- in fact, I have TWO friends who had diabetes, but losing weight "cured" them of it.

Comment

My father had diabetes, but not so bad he had to poke himself on a regular basis, fortunately!

Congrats on the pretty decent MOT last time you went to the docs though

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                [I]And 2+2=5

Cosmopolitan magazine hit with fierce backlash over covers praising obesity despite coronavirus risk

jessamyn-1608131316.png

I just enjoy the dilemma the political left puts itself in. On one hand they're the primary fearmongers of covid and want everyone else to live in fear. On the other, they want to embrace the single greatest comorbidity (other than age) that puts you at risk of covid.

Comment

It is my understanding that obesity itself is not actually a health risk, outside of things that come physically from it like knee problems. The problem with obesity is not the obesity itself but the life factors that caused you to be obese. Healthy practices like a good diet and exercising make it much harder (though not impossible) to be overweight, so if you're obese/overweight it means you're very likely not having a good diet and/or exercising, and that is the reason for the health problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    It is my understanding that obesity itself is not actually a health risk, outside of things that come physically from it like knee problems. The problem with obesity is not the obesity itself but the life factors that caused you to be obese. Healthy practices like a good diet and exercising make it much harder (though not impossible) to be overweight, so if you're obese/overweight it means you're very likely not having a good diet and/or exercising, and that is the reason for the health problems.
                    That... and maybe your body is already under stress and struggling to maintain itself with the excess weight, it doesn't have much energy or strength left to also have to battle a virus?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      Well, the fat itself -- especially belly fat -- releases inflammatory chemicals, aromatase (which reduces testosterone levels and raises estrogen levels), tends to impair insulin sensitivity, and a few other things I don't immediately recall.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, I'm overweight, but I have perfect blood pressure, no diabetes, no other concerns, healthy (so far) heart ---- my doc tells me "yeah, you could lose some weight, but you're not doing bad at all".

OTOH, I've known people who the doctor has told "if you'd lose 20 lbs, your diabetes (or high blood pressure) would almost immediately disappear (or be mitigated).

ETA -- in fact, I have TWO friends who had diabetes, but losing weight "cured" them of it.
                        *sigh*

I'm an old fat guy on three BP meds, and my PCP would like to add a fourth.

I felt much better and more energetic 15 months ago, when I was 15 pounds heavier, on zero BP meds, and my BP was 230/130.

My PCP wants to cry when I tell her that.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          [I]And 2+2=5

jessamyn-1608131316.png

What I find interesting about things like this is that there are so many things that we are told is good/not ok to insult, then that same political affiliation will turn around and use as an insult.

Examples,
                          Calls obesity healthy and we shouldn't body shame, calls trump fat.
                          Fights against homophobia, mocking gay people, then turns around and uses a hypothetical gay relationship between trump and putin as a punchline.
                          Fights against slut shaming respecting women, mock's Milania's past, calls her a prostitute, uses the fact that she once posed nude as a way to say she's unfit for first lady, etc.
                          Fights against mocking foreigner's, bullying, etc. Mock's Milania's accent.

I've often said, if you want to know how people really feel about your group, look at what they use as insults towards others. What they use as insults shows you what they think of as being insulting and lesser.

Comment

I'd like to lose about 20 lbs, back down to my weight of about 20 years ago. I seem to add a pound every year.

I don't "feel" healthy lugging around the extra weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              I'd like to lose about 20 lbs, back down to my weight of about 20 years ago. I seem to add a pound every year.

I don't "feel" healthy lugging around the extra weight.
                              I have a "fat range" that I never seem to exceed, but I would, indeed, like to get down to the lower end of that range.

Comment