Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More than ever - SCHOOL CHOICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than ever - SCHOOL CHOICE

When I was arrested for home schooling in the early 80's, my reason for home schooling was not so much a problem with the public schools, as it was with the fact that I was traveling a LOT, and wanted to take my young family with me on trips. Privately, some of the school officials were favorable to it, because we did a whole lot of "field trips" where my daughter could experience history rather than just read or be lectured on it.

Publicly, though, we were in a period of time where the State of Texas was realizing that home schooling was a "waking giant", and needed to be stopped at all costs. We even obtained a letter, through the process of discovery during trial prep, where the Attorney General of Texas (at that time, Jim Mattox) was instructing 'richer school districts' to focus on prosecuting "lower to middle income parents", because litigation would be very expensive.

During trial prep, I learned way more than I ever wanted to know about school districts, how they're funded, what influence TEA and NEA have on them, etc. I obtained a copy of the Texas School Law Bulletin, and discovered that my arrest was technically illegal. I had been arrested on THREE charges of "failing to comply with compulsory attendance laws", when the TSLB clearly stated that "a person could not be charged with a second offense until found guilty on a first offense".

More importantly than that, however, was that there was no reference to "compulsory attendance" in the TSLB. The offense should have been "failure to comply with compulsory education laws", but we were clearly meeting or exceeding all standards for "education" as defined in the TSLB. It was a scam. It was an attempt to intimidate me, and a whole bunch of others, into bowing to the school board and putting our children back in public education. The compulsory education statement required that children "must be enrolled in a public, private or parochial school which shall have as its curriculum good citizenship".

The latest intrusion into education by the Obama administration is being challenged in court by at least 11 states. While our public schools are still producing students who can't read or write, or express thoughts with even halfway decent grammar, out schools seem to be mired in rules and regs and extracurricular crap that takes away from the basic "3 R's" - reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic.

I'm still in close contact with numerous home schoolers, people who are considering home schooling, and young families contemplating escaping the public school crap. (It's not such a critical issue in my own community, as our Superintendent of Schools happens to be an ordained Baptist Pastor, and committed Christian, and our community is very open to "faith based" life.

It appears, though, that this "bathroom" fascination on behalf of the liberals might well be the "final straw" that triggers another round of exodus from the public school system.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Meanwhile, I think this is one of the reasons liberals, otherwise infamously "pro choice", are ANTI School Choice.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-12-2016, 12:20 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Bizarre, I had never heard of anyone being arrested for Homeschool. We decided to make homeschool permanent when the law about bathrooms came out.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Bizarre, I had never heard of anyone being arrested for Homeschool. We decided to make homeschool permanent when the law about bathrooms came out.
      Texas tried hard to make it illegal because funding was dependent upon a headcount at school.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Texas tried hard to make it illegal because funding was dependent upon a headcount at school.
        That's how NC was funded. But I don't know how hard they fought it.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's really weird how so many people are under the impression that home schooling produces less intelligent kids when in fact all the studies show the exact opposite. Makes you wonder where that meme came from.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Makes you wonder where that meme came from.
            Freedom hating liberals?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I actually grew up with a very negative impression of homeschooling because I knew somebody whose parents said they homeschooled but had stopped giving them any education after the third grade. I later learned that this sort of thing was in the vast, vast, vast minority of homeschooling.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I actually grew up with a very negative impression of homeschooling because I knew somebody whose parents said they homeschooled but had stopped giving them any education after the third grade. I later learned that this sort of thing was in the vast, vast, vast minority of homeschooling.
                Yeah, it takes discipline, and there will always be those who scam the system.

And home schooling isn't for everyone. My oldest daughter did well til about 6th grade, then just kinda shut down. We ended up reluctantly putting her in public school, where she struggled.

My youngest daughter, however, thrived on home schooling. She immediately figured out that she could set her own goals, plan her own homework, schedule her free time when she wanted it, and maintain straight A's. She graduated high school a year early (by that time, we had entered into a co-opt agreement with other home school parents) and started college. Since she had already developed the discipline for self study, she excelled in college, getting two degrees in short order, then going on to become a hospice nurse.

Comment

That seems to be how most public schools are funded and have been for quite some time. When I was in High School back in the 70s I remember being told by a vice principal that he didn't care that much if I skipped school as long as I showed up for home room and could be counted for attendance because of funding

As for public schools today, despite the work of some good teachers it is largely little more than day care with the teachers assigning massive amounts of home work which is where they expect the kids to actually learn something.

As a friend of mine told me over a decade ago, if you can in any way manage it get your children out since in many ways public school is tantamount to child abuse.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    That seems to be how most public schools are funded and have been for quite some time. When I was in High School back in the 70s I remember being told by a vice principal that he didn't care that much if I skipped school as long as I showed up for home room and could be counted for attendance because of funding

As for public schools today, despite the work of some good teachers it is largely little more than day care with the teachers assigning massive amounts of home work which is where they expect the kids to actually learn something.

As a friend of mine told me over a decade ago, if you can in any way manage it get your children out since in many ways public school is tantamount to child abuse.
                    But you raise a point worth expanding - that there are "good teachers" stuck in the system, maybe because that's the only place they can get a job to take care of their families, but they care and prepare and work hard... If "the system" would only let them free to be the good teachers they want to be....

We have a couple teachers in our Church who tell me they are exhausted from all the reporting, record keeping, compliance.... and the amount of time they have to spend on liberal social engineering crap really angers them. Oh, and they don't dare discipline the little darlings, or they get written up!

Comment

But you raise a point worth expanding
                      You sound shocked

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You sound shocked
                        Naw, you often raise good points.

Comment

I wuz raised in a barn and woz homeskooled by rabits. And I toorned owt just fyne.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I wuz raised in a barn and woz homeskooled by rabits. And I toorned owt just fyne.
                            You went to buccaneering & pirating vocational school. Graduated top of your class after you led a mutiny and stole the ship.

Comment

You went to buccaneering & pirating vocational school. Graduated top of your class after you led a mutiny and stole the ship.
                              Sea? Aye toorned owt fyne.

Comment