Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Trump rally was peaceful until liberals showed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

It’s not a good idea to let just anyone speak. Some voices are toxic and have to be discouraged, for the good of the community. But violence and vandalism is unacceptable, of course. All patriotic Americans should be anti-fascist.
    Yes. We need to make sure only approved people speak. Those who speak unapproved ideas should be beaten in order to serve as a warning for others who speak wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Yes. We need to make sure only approved people speak. Those who speak unapproved ideas should be beaten in order to serve as a warning for others who speak wrong.
      You just have to try not to amplify the horrible people. Who decides who is horrible? The good people decide.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Keyboard warrior who talks tough and makes terrorist threats. You're really probably either one of those skinny little beta whimps or an overweight slob with a neckbeard that would cower at your own shadow in the streets in real life.
        Yes, if I had a keyboard, I’d be throwing it at you.

Comment

You just have to try not to amplify the horrible people. Who decides who is horrible? The good people decide.
          Well, only the approved good people.

Comment

Tell me, who is good?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Tell me, who is good?
              Duh, the same people who approve the good speech and bad speech.

Comment

It’s not a good idea to let just anyone speak. Some voices are toxic and have to be discouraged, for the good of the community. But violence and vandalism is unacceptable, of course. All patriotic Americans should be anti-fascist.
                Fair enough. But I ask because the practices of anti-fascists are the same as those ascribed to fascists. And the people anti-fascists claim are fascists, are generally peaceful.

So again, would you care to define fascism, as you understand it?

Comment

Duh, the same people who approve the good speech and bad speech.
                  Well, I was hoping that ff would tell me that nobody is good. But your answer works in the context of the thread.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Well, only the approved good people.
                    It is often the case that opposites both think that their view is better, or more just. We rely on the relative stability of the law, vigilance and public opinion to tell us who should prevail. It is a pendulum though, and it will swing a long way if you push it hard enough.

Comment

It is often the case that opposites both think that their view is better, or more just. We rely on the relative stability of the law, vigilance and public opinion to tell us who should prevail. It is a pendulum though, and it will swing a long way if you push it hard enough.
                      Ah, so it's mob mentality that tells us who is right and wrong. I guess that means it was right when we kept gays from being "out" because that's what public opinion was at the time. The only mistake was not treating their publicly unpopular speech the same way you say we should treat bad speech.

Comment

Tell me, who is good?
                        That is always contested. You are free to choose what side to take. Goodness is a matter of personal preference.

Comment

Ah, so it's mob mentality that tells us who is right and wrong. I guess that means it was right when we kept gays from being "out" because that's what public opinion was at the time. The only mistake was not treating their publicly unpopular speech the same way you say we should treat bad speech.
                          Not mob mentality exactly, but there is a consensus or fashion that varies slowly in time.

Comment

That is always contested. You are free to choose what side to take. Goodness is a matter of personal preference.
                            There's a higher standard, ff. Everybody falls short.

Comment

Not mob mentality exactly, but there is a consensus or fashion that varies slowly in time.
                              Well "not exactly". What's not exactly about having popular opinion decide who is and is not allowed to speak based on what the content of their speech is.

And, you didn't answer.

Since public opinion was against Gays, should we have not "given them room to breathe" and "discouraged, for the good of the community." I mean, you defined "good" as popular opinion.

Comment

There's a higher standard, ff. Everybody falls short.
                                I know that religious people think about it slightly differently, but the higher standard is set by yourself, a self imposed burden, that may crush your spirit if it is too great.

Comment