Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Waiter arrested for serving salmon to man allergic to seafood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiter arrested for serving salmon to man allergic to seafood

No, he didn't do it on purpose.

Should this be considered criminal negligence?

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...erely-allergic
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The bloke warned the waiter multiple times that he was allergic to fish. Not sure where the blame is though. It sounds like a dangerously understaffed place if the waiter could make a gaffe and serve fish to someone who warned him strongly that he was allergic to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      The bloke warned the waiter multiple times that he was allergic to fish. Not sure where the blame is though. It sounds like a dangerously understaffed place if the waiter could make a gaffe and serve fish to someone who warned him strongly that he was allergic to fish.
      Apparently he never made a note of the allergy so it seems like he wasn't paying close attention.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Apparently he never made a note of the allergy so it seems like he wasn't paying close attention.
        In that case I'd say its on him. Merely firing him doesn't seem fitting enough of a punishment.

Comment

Only in Canada, eh?

There is a problem with the diner if he can't tell raw salmon from raw beef.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Searched his home????? Wow, something made them take a really close look.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Searched his home????? Wow, something made them take a really close look.
              I wonder what they were trying to find.

"Dear Diary, today I intentionally screwed up this guy's order as a joke."

Comment

No.

The failure to use reasonable care to avoid consequences that threaten or harm the safety of the public and that are the foreseeable outcome of acting in a particular manner.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...nal+Negligence

Now, the restaurant might be negligent, both for the lighting and the lack of policy/procedure for such cases, but since the waiter did not put in the wrong order, there is no basis for criminal negligence.

The victim is, however, partially responsible. He knew the allergy existed, knew the lighting was dim, and should have exercised reasonable precaution (it's called a flashlight or going somewhere that has decent lighting) in addition to the actions he did take. Waiters/restaurants are NOT medical personnel and are not responsible for protecting you from all possible harm. And seriously, if it's that dangerous, then going to a surf and turf is just dumb. There are plenty of restaurants that never so much as see a fish.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

On a happier note, my wife, who is allergic to shellfish, went with me to a business meeting at, of all things, a seafood restaurant. It was a catered meal, and your choices were several kinds of seafood. When the waitress was taking orders, my wife said, "I'll just have the salad - I'm allergic to shellfish". The waitress smiled, and said, "The chef will want to speak to you - I'll get him as soon as I'm done taking the other orders at your table".

Very shortly, the chef - tall white hat and all - came to my wife and asked if she would accept roast chicken breast, explaining that her meal would be prepared on a totally separate grill, and nothing related to seafood would be allowed to touch anything in her meal. My wife politely informed him that it wouldn't be necessary, and the chef politely responded "oh, is certainly is!" He said, "with your permission, I'll prepare your meal", and he smiled and disappeared.

THAT is service!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    On a happier note, my wife, who is allergic to shellfish, went with me to a business meeting at, of all things, a seafood restaurant. It was a catered meal, and your choices were several kinds of seafood. When the waitress was taking orders, my wife said, "I'll just have the salad - I'm allergic to shellfish". The waitress smiled, and said, "The chef will want to speak to you - I'll get him as soon as I'm done taking the other orders at your table".

Very shortly, the chef - tall white hat and all - came to my wife and asked if she would accept roast chicken breast, explaining that her meal would be prepared on a totally separate grill, and nothing related to seafood would be allowed to touch anything in her meal. My wife politely informed him that it wouldn't be necessary, and the chef politely responded "oh, is certainly is!" He said, "with your permission, I'll prepare your meal", and he smiled and disappeared.

THAT is service!
                    That is the difference of a place with a chef and places that have cooks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wonder what they were trying to find.

"Dear Diary, today I intentionally screwed up this guy's order as a joke."
                      I'm not unsympathetic to the victim but putting your life in the hands of a likely under-paid, over-worked kid is risky at best. If management didn't have policies in place to deal with just this sort of contingency then the company might very well be liable. But a waiter - adult or kid - who puts in the order correctly and makes sure the item presented as his order goes to him has done due diligence. The only actual lapse would be failing to tell the cook about needing to avoid cross-contamination. That isn't criminal negligence unless he violated procedure and did so with wanton disregard. Not taking notes is not wanton disregard otherwise.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Only in Canada, eh?

There is a problem with the diner if he can't tell raw salmon from raw beef.
                        I had steak tartar a couple of weeks ago and the raw steak is mixed in with a whole lot of other stuff so it is an understandable confusion.
                        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          I had steak tartar a couple of weeks ago and the raw steak is mixed in with a whole lot of other stuff so it is an understandable confusion.

But the colour of salmon and beef is totally different. AND they smell different, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

But the colour of salmon and beef is totally different. AND they smell different, too.
                            The steak tartar I had did not smell like anything and you can't dintinguish colors that well in low light, aside from the fact that there were lots of different colors mixed together.
                            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Raw beef and raw fish (which is what tartare is - raw) have very little smell in my experience.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment