Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Legal marijuana brings more ingestion by children

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal marijuana brings more ingestion by children

Source: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/01/legal-weed-children-poison/

More children have been visiting hospitals and poison control centers in Colorado since marijuana legalization, a new report finds.

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association looked at the rate of marijuana ingestions for children 9 and under in Colorado, two years before and two years after the legalization of marijuana in 2014.

California will vote on Proposition 64 in November, allowing for the consumption of recreational marijuana similar to Colorado's law.

The rates of children going to the hospital after consuming marijuana nearly doubled for hospitals and nearly tripled for poison control centers.

sd.jpg

© Copyright Original Source

The rest of the article makes excuses about other household items being more dangerous...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    More children have been visiting hospitals and poison control centers in Colorado since marijuana legalization, a new report finds.
    Like we didn't see this coming...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And now that marijuana is legal to consume in DC, 32% of DC students have used marijuana in the last 30 days.
      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

I'm sure that'll improve their already abysmal test scores

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Source: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/01/legal-weed-children-poison/

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association looked at the rate of marijuana ingestions for children 9 and under in Colorado, two years before and two years after the legalization of marijuana in 2014.

California will vote on Proposition 64 in November, allowing for the consumption of recreational marijuana similar to Colorado's law.

The rates of children going to the hospital after consuming marijuana nearly doubled for hospitals and nearly tripled for poison control centers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17621[/ATTACH]

The rest of the article makes excuses about other household items being more dangerous...
        So what? Legalization of marijuana is a good thing over all. It creates a new economy, increases tax revenue, and takes the drug out of the gangs and cartels and puts them in the hands of legitimate businesses, which will help lower crime over all. Parents just need to watch the way they keep their drugs stored. They should be kept in a child proof bin, like where you should keep a gun. More guns means more accidental child gun deaths, but I don't hear any conservatives on this site saying we should make guns illegal because of that.
        Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
          So what?
          So, it's a drug, and an unnecessary one at that. And with this, we have more proof that it increases risk to children with ZERO real benefit.

Legalization of marijuana is a good thing over all.
          No it isn't.

It creates a new economy,
          So did slavery

increases tax revenue,
          And crime. And vagrancy. In fact, in order to combat the dramatic increase in vagrancy near marijuana dispensaries, several cities in CO have made vagrancy illegal.

and takes the drug out of the gangs and cartels
          Pushing them toward the more dangerous drugs and even sex trafficking to maintain their cash flow, which increases crime in their home countries.

Source: http://time.com/3801889/us-legalization-marijuana-trade/

A key problem is that cartels have diversified to a portfolio of other crimes, from sex trafficking to stealing crude oil from Mexican pipelines. They also make billions smuggling hard drugs. Seizures of both heroin and crystal meth on the U.S.-Mexico border have gone up as those of marijuana have sunk, according to U.S. Homeland Security, with agents nabbing a record 34,840 pounds of meth in 2014.

and puts them in the hands of legitimate businesses, which will help lower crime over all.
          No it won't. While not directly related to the marijuana industry, Denver's crime levels have gone way up. And crime in border towns, where the cartels have shifted their business, has skyrocketed.

Parents just need to watch the way they keep their drugs stored.
          And if the drugs are not necessary, don't bring it in the house.

They should be kept in a child proof bin, like where you should keep a gun. More guns means more accidental child gun deaths, but I don't hear any conservatives on this site saying we should make guns illegal because of that.
          Guns have a purpose of saving lives. Marijuana has a purpose of making you act like a moron. Do not compare the two.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So, it's a drug, and an unnecessary one at that. And with this, we have more proof that it increases risk to children with ZERO real benefit.
            Alcohol is unnecessary. Let's use big government to ban that too then! Liquid marijuana can reduce seizures. So it has benefits.

No it isn't.
            Yes it is, when you consider how much crime comes from its illegalization.

So did slavery
            There's no ethical comparison to legal marijuana and slavery. And anyone who thinks there is is retarded.

And crime. And vagrancy. In fact, in order to combat the dramatic increase in vagrancy near marijuana dispensaries, several cities in CO have made vagrancy illegal.
            Show me evidence it increases crime.

Pushing them toward the more dangerous drugs and even sex trafficking to maintain their cash flow, which increases crime in their home countries.

Source: http://time.com/3801889/us-legalization-marijuana-trade/

A key problem is that cartels have diversified to a portfolio of other crimes, from sex trafficking to stealing crude oil from Mexican pipelines. They also make billions smuggling hard drugs. Seizures of both heroin and crystal meth on the U.S.-Mexico border have gone up as those of marijuana have sunk, according to U.S. Homeland Security, with agents nabbing a record 34,840 pounds of meth in 2014.

We should legalize prostitution too. That will reduce crime related to that trade. When we legalized alcohol, it reduced the power of the mafia. This will do the same with the cartels. Improve he economy and reduce corruption in Mexico and the cartels will lose their power.

No it won't. While not directly related to the marijuana industry, Denver's crime levels have gone way up. And crime in border towns, where the cartels have shifted their business, has skyrocketed.
            None of that is tied to marijuana legalization, so your argument fails.

And if the drugs are not necessary, don't bring it in the house.
            Guns are not necessary, so they should not be brought in the house by your logic.

Guns have a purpose of saving lives. Marijuana has a purpose of making you act like a moron. Do not compare the two.
            Oh, like when you compared slavery to marijuana legalization? Guns are not necessary, they are optional. So your argument fails there, and as such, makes no sense. Marijuana has many purposes and it can make you more creative. It is one of the safest drugs to take in the world.

Religion has a purpose of making you act like a moron. So let's ban that too.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard
              We should legalize prostitution too.
              I actually support this!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I actually support this!
                That's good. That's the reasonable thing to do. Legalize it and regulate it to ensure basic safety standards. I think that's eventually where we're headed.

Comment

Alcohol is unnecessary.
                  You'll get no argument out of me there. I'm an alcoholic and I almost allowed it to destroy my career.

Let's use big government to ban that too then!
                  Again, I'd have no problem banning it, tobacco, and other things that serve no purpose other than to make people act stupid.

Liquid marijuana can reduce seizures. So it has benefits.
                  As a medicine, perhaps. But for every 1 medicinal user, there are thousands who just want to get high.

Yes it is, when you consider how much crime comes from its illegalization.
                  You are just shifting the crime from one place to another. The Time article I cited shows that.

There's no ethical comparison to legal marijuana and slavery. And anyone who thinks there is is retarded.
                  Sorry, but in the context of "a new economy", they are quite comparable. Using strictly economic benefit as the only criteria, which you did with weed, the excuse for both is the same.

Show me evidence it increases crime.
                  http://www.unomaha.edu/college-of-pu...smoke-2015.pdf
                  We should legalize prostitution too.
                  Too much risk of human trafficking.

That will reduce crime related to that trade.
                  No it won't.

When we legalized alcohol, it reduced the power of the mafia.
                  Not really. They moved to other areas

This will do the same with the cartels.
                  Just as the Time article stated. They are diversifying and becoming far worse than just drug runners.

Improve he economy and reduce corruption in Mexico and the cartels will lose their power.
                  Yeah...THAT will happen...

None of that is tied to marijuana legalization, so your argument fails.
                  Yes it is. The Time article is pretty clear on that fact.

Guns are not necessary, so they should not be brought in the house by your logic.
                  For defense, there is little better. And in today's culture, defense is paramount.

Oh, like when you compared slavery to marijuana legalization?
                  In a VERY narrow way, which YOU defined.

Guns are not necessary, they are optional.
                  But they serve a purpose, which is saving lives. Very few people suffer from the type of seizures that THC helps, but everyone who owns a gun has the potential to save a life.

So your argument fails there, and as such, makes no sense.
                  Because you can't understand the logic of a gun saving a life because you are a gun grabber. You think they are just dangerous toys that people play with for fun. Your whole pre-conceived bias keeps you from seeing the difference in a life-saving tool and a recreational drug that serves no purpose to most everyone who uses it.

Marijuana has many purposes and it can make you more creative.
                  That's the best you can come up with?

It is one of the safest drugs to take in the world.
                  It's pointless and makes you act like a moron.

Religion has a purpose of making you act like a moron. So let's ban that too.
                  No it doesn't. Militant atheism like yours makes you act like a moron, fighting against something you "know" isn't even there.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Before I get into the rest of this post, I'd like to say that I do not think the possession of marijuana should result in jail time. Having one of the highest incarceration rates in the world is generally not considered to be a good thing. However, I am fine with other punishments for marijuana possession, and with harsher punishments (including jail time) for those who sell/distribute marijuana.

For defense, there is little better. And in today's culture, defense is paramount.
                    Wait, what? Where I live there is only a one in 30,000 chance of getting murdered in a given year, probably less if you live in a safe neighborhood and hang out with decent people. Do you live in a ghetto? Is Canada some sort of lawless warzone? http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/chapel-hill/crime/
                    http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

But they serve a purpose, which is saving lives. Very few people suffer from the type of seizures that THC helps, but everyone who owns a gun has the potential to save a life.
                    I'm pretty sure guns were invented to take lives, not save them. Sure guns can sometimes reduce the number of people killed, but their primary purpose is to take lives.

No it doesn't. Militant atheism like yours makes you act like a moron, fighting against something you "know" isn't even there.
                    I'm pretty sure most militant atheists think society would be better off without religion. So I assume they are fighting against religion, not God.
                    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                      Wait, what? Where I live there is only a one in 30,000 chance of getting murdered in a given year, probably less if you live in a safe neighborhood and hang out with decent people. Do you live in a ghetto? Is Canada some sort of lawless warzone?
                      Sorry, I thought you were sparko for some reason. Please replace Canada with Virginia.
                      Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

You'll get no argument out of me there. I'm an alcoholic and I almost allowed it to destroy my career.
                        Oh so this is the source of your rage. Your inability to control your own intake of alcohol nearly ruined you, and now you want prohibition for all. Sorry buddy, but the fact that there are some people who will be alcoholics should not inhibit my right to drink alcohol. Same with marijuana.

Again, I'd have no problem banning it, tobacco, and other things that serve no purpose other than to make people act stupid.
                        Oh so you're for big government when it comes to the things you don't like. Typical hypocrite.

They do serve a purpose. They make things fun and they give intellectual epiphanies. And people generally have a right to put into their body what they want.

As a medicine, perhaps. But for every 1 medicinal user, there are thousands who just want to get high.
                        So let them get high. Point is -- it has benefits. So your claim that it has no purpose is false.

You are just shifting the crime from one place to another. The Time article I cited shows that.
                        Your article also said: "Coinciding with legalization, violence has decreased in Mexico. Homicides hit a high in 2011, with Mexican police departments reporting almost 23,000 murders. Last year, they reported 15,649."

That sounds like progress to me. We've tried a drug war for 45 years and spent a trillion dollars. It hasn't worked. In fact, it's been an utter failure. By making even more things illegal are you are going to do is increase crime and strengthen drug gangs and cartels.

Sorry, but in the context of "a new economy", they are quite comparable. Using strictly economic benefit as the only criteria, which you did with weed, the excuse for both is the same.
                        No, sorry, that's BS. I'm talking about a legal economy using a voluntary exchange of products to people who are all paid for their labor. There's no comparison to the forced labor of slavery. Only an idiot thinks that.

That's because it's not legal in Nebraska. Legalize it in all 50 states and this problem will go a way.

Too much risk of human trafficking.
                        Legalize it, regulate it properly, and human trafficking will decrease.

No it won't.

You're completely ignoring the rampant abuse, both physical and economic, that occurs in the illegal prostitution trade. From Harvard:

Source: https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/lids/2014/06/12/does-legalized-prostitution-increase-human-trafficking/

While trafficking inflows may be lower where prostitution is criminalized, there may be severe repercussions for those working in the industry. For example, criminalizing prostitution penalizes sex workers rather than the people who earn most of the profits (pimps and traffickers).

Putting proper mechanics to prevent human trafficking can reduce it. For example, a law stating that no one can come to a country purely for the purposes of sex work can help reduce trafficking, or a law that raises the age for foreigners involved in the sex trade can help reduce trafficking. Banning workers from certain countries that have high incidents of human trafficking, etc.

Not really. They moved to other areas
                        ...And they got weaker. If prohibition stayed, they would have gotten much much stronger. And when corruption was cut out, the mafia fell. Same thing could happen in Mexico with the cartels.

Just as the Time article stated. They are diversifying and becoming far worse than just drug runners.
                        But violent crime is down, you forgot to leave that part out.

Yeah...THAT will happen...
                        Oh right, so we should all do absolutely nothing so that the problem never gets better. This is your flawed thinking in action. What worked for the mafia could work for the cartels.

Yes it is. The Time article is pretty clear on that fact.
                        It says no such thing.

Today's culture, where crime is at 25 year lows? No it is not necessary, that's the point. I do fine without a gun. 200 million Americans do too. your own logic refutes your view on guns.

In a VERY narrow way, which YOU defined.
                        Makes no sense.

And everyone who owns marijuana gets the potential to experience life in a new way. Guns are not necessary, they are optional. That is the point.

Because you can't understand the logic of a gun saving a life because you are a gun grabber. You think they are just dangerous toys that people play with for fun. Your whole pre-conceived bias keeps you from seeing the difference in a life-saving tool and a recreational drug that serves no purpose to most everyone who uses it.
                        I'm a gun grabber? I'm pro-2nd amendment. I don't care whether or not you think marijuana has a purpose. It is a safe drug and there is no good argument why it should be illegal.

That's the best you can come up with?
                        No, but it totally refutes your claim that all it does is make you act like a republican, sorry, I meant moron.

It's pointless and makes you act like a moron.
                        False. If everything that's "pointless" and moronic should be illegal, then, religion should be the first thing to go. Marijuana is in a drug classification of its own. It has many different effects to different people. For some people it makes them concentrate better, for some it makes then more organized and creative, for others it helps them connect with nature and people, for others it makes them more philosophical and religious. You must not know many smokers and are relying on TV stereotypes.

Yes it does. Just look at all the stupid things going on where ever religion is powerful. I'm only a militant atheist because there are militant theists. Once they shut up or become irrelevant, there will be no need to be militant. Oh, and atheism is not the claim that one knows there is no god. Your stupid religion probably taught you that, further demonstrating my point.

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                          Wait, what? Where I live there is only a one in 30,000 chance of getting murdered in a given year, probably less if you live in a safe neighborhood and hang out with decent people.
                          Statistics are of little reassurance if you are the victim of a home invasion.

This is a derail in any case.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Oh so this is the source of your rage. Your inability to control your own intake of alcohol nearly ruined you, and now you want prohibition for all. Sorry buddy, but the fact that there are some people who will be alcoholics should not inhibit my right to drink alcohol. Same with marijuana.
                            Sometimes, correcting stupidity like yours is just not worth it.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I've always questioned the dissonance between marijuana being illegal while alcohol and cigarettes are legal, considering those two are more dangerous than marijuana is.

Comment